Dodge Challenger Forum banner

I can't decide... 2016 SRT 392 or 2018 T/A 392?

9K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  F8SRT392 
#1 · (Edited)
I know, I know... it's going to be my car so it's really up to me to decide... however, I'm really struggling with this. Help! To make a long story short, I find myself in a situation where I can either get a 2016 SRT 392 or a 2018 T/A 392 that are both fully loaded with essentially the same low miles. I'm planning on making either car my year round daily driver here in Wisconsin, so either car I get will get an additional set of rims with snow tires. Warranty coverage isn't a concern because both have extended warranties on them and I won't keep either car that long. Here is each car as I see it (IMHO):

2016 SRT 392:
- "Meh" plain color / body... but could be improved with the easy / inexpensive addition of some stripes
- Better looking wheels
- I like the dark gauges and flat bottom SRT steering wheel better
- Adjustable suspension (might be a nice feature to have since this is my commuter car...)
- $2000 less expensive

2018 T/A 392:
- Flashier body with color that I love
- Not a fan of the T/A's all black wheels
- Insurance is a few hundred dollars less per year
- I like the T/A's suede seats better than the all leather seats in the SRT 392
- Updated A/V head unit with Apple Car Play / Android Auto (something that I would use daily)

Any thoughts / feedback / suggestions? Am I overthinking this or is one a slam dunk over the other? Thanks for your time and help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Both are excellent cars, I don't think you'd be disappointed with either. Personally I'd choose the SRT for the adjustable suspension. I've driven a Scat Pack which shares a chassis with the T/A (the T/A is slightly lowered), and while it was good and not too rough of a ride, I've been told the SRT on street mode feels like a Cadillac. Plus you get all the extra goodies like performance pages, adjustability of driving characteristics like throttle response and transmission shifting, and other such things.

Things to keep in mind when it comes to detailing and maintenance:

With the satin black T/A hood, you have to take special care when washing and detailing. It requires different products.

With the SRT, replacing those adjustable shocks down the line is going to be fairly expensive, $400-$500 a corner.

#5 ·
Things to keep in mind when it comes to detailing and maintenance:

With the satin black T/A hood, you have to take special care when washing and detailing. It requires different products.

I think also the roof of the T/A is a satin wrap so requires same care.

Boy that's a tough choice between models. Both very cool. I might tend towards the SRT myself just cuz it seems a little more "special". What are the trans choices on the cars? The A8 is incredible.

#8 ·
Color is the most important option. You see it all the time.

I've never understood why folks by a car like a Challenger in a color that they're not nuts about. Just doesn't make sense to me.

They joy of having a color that you love, will be there long after the novelty of many other options wear off.

Exactly! Like I said, your going to regret getting that other car every time you go outside or in your garage to look at it or drive it. Color is very important!

#9 ·
I agree with the color being most important. You can change wheels etc easy enough but you can't change the color. Aside from that, if the TA is fully loaded it has basically everything the SRT has minus the adjustable suspension. The TA has the performance pages etc. too. The only differences are the steering wheel and SRT badges. Plus the TA has a functional ram air cold air intake that the SRT doesn't have.

I'd go with the TA, but then again, I did go with the TA. :D

#10 ·
Personally, I think the Laguna leather interior is one of the SRT392's best assets.

If the SRT's interior doesn't do anything for you, I would suggest going w/the newer car, the T/A 392.

Reactions: Klink
#12 ·
The T/A is an awesome car, The Hood is Matte Black Paint while the roof and trunk deck lid are a vinyl wrap. I went with a T/A knowing that I would need to take special care of these areas. I am not sure how the salt or brine used in the winters up there will affect the matte paint and wrap, but I do believe that will be your biggest enemy. Both can be redone though, albeit at a cost, and I am fairly positive that the roof and deck lid are factory painted under the wrap, so it could just be removed if it gets jacked up.

#13 ·
Buy the color you want .... or keep looking for a pre-owned SRT in a color you like.

#14 ·
2016 SRT 392:
- "Meh" plain color / body... but could be improved with the easy / inexpensive addition of some stripes
- Better looking wheels
- I like the dark gauges and flat bottom SRT steering wheel better
- Adjustable suspension (might be a nice feature to have since this is my commuter car...)
- $2000 less expensive

2018 T/A 392:
- Flashier body with color that I love
- Not a fan of the T/A's all black wheels
- Insurance is a few hundred dollars less per year
- I like the T/A's suede seats better than the all leather seats in the SRT 392
- Updated A/V head unit with Apple Car Play / Android Auto (something that I would use daily)
I think the T/A 392 would be the one you're happier with:
>exterior color you like
>preference of Alcantara seat over full leather
>the updated uConnect (phone interface)

since color is the first thing you see and the interior is where you'll be in.

The other item is the SRT 3 mode shocks $500 per corner to replace those. The conventional Bilstein T/A shocks are $100 per shock...

Both have the same brakes.

I couldn't compromise on a color I don't like, even if it is $2k cheaper

#15 ·
One other thing the TA has that the SRT doesn't is the dyno page in the performance pages. It's a novelty but kinda neat none the less. As for taking care of the flat black, I don't see what the big deal is. I've put 17,500 miles on my TA in the last 10 months and don't have any issues keeping the black looking like new.

#18 ·
T/A def has more positives for you. I daily my T/A over the same roads I did my HC. The 3 mode suspension in street is a bit more comfy but IMO in no way makes up for the fact you like the color and seats better in the T/A plus its 2 years newer. Apple car play with waze in the nav screen is $$$$ Your post gives far more reasons to buy the T/A

I had my car ceramic coated and have zero worries with the satin areas. I dont know of anyone who has had issues taking care of it ceramic or not.

#20 ·
The Differences in driving manners between the 2 are going to be almost insignificant.

The bigger difference is found in both color and the "IN YOUR FACE" bold nature of the Graphics package on the TA.

You'll have to decide what you want and who you are........ there is NO ESCAPING the "Boy Racer" image of the TA. The SRT392 is the far more reserved pick of the two.

Some people want their muscle car as BOLD AND BRASH as it can be......while others will cringe at the idea.

Knowing yourself and who you are and what you want the impression to be of the car probably is the most significant difference between these two choices.

Both are good looking cars........but one will stand out more in a crowd than the other.......you either like that or you hate it. Not many people will be in the middle.

#22 · (Edited)
I can't thank everybody enough for your feedback! After LONG consideration I've arrived at a decision... I've put money down on the SRT 392 and pick it up next week! My very first Challenger... I'm SO excited! Here's why I ended up going with it:

1. This car will be my daily year round driver for 5-8 years, and since my commute is 35-40 minutes each way via country roads the selectable ride control that the SRT 392 offers is too good to pass up. I'll use it... A LOT.

2. The SRT 392 flat bottom steering wheel and blacked out gauges (instead of the T/A's white gauges) put a smile on my face. Since I'll be looking at that for most of the time I think that's an important good thing.

3. In my humble opinion the satin gray wheels that the SRT 392 has are far more appealing than the solid black ones found on the T/A.

4. Despite not LOVING the exterior color of the SRT 392 I made peace with the fact that I will in fact like the combination once I get the vinyl stripes added. I was able to bounce this off a few of my local car buddies and they agreed... it will work.

5. The additional savings helped take care of most of the cost of a Mopar 8 year / 125,000 mile Maximum Care warranty so I'll be set for the duration that I own the car

#23 ·
nice choice, but lol I’m partial to SRT’s, out of curiosity, what color is it? I was dead set on an SRT when I bought mine last June, while not important to some, I just had to have Car Play support, so I went with a new “leftover” 2017 as opposed to a used and much cheaper 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pantheman75
#25 ·
Even though I'm obviously partial to the T/A 392 (and clearly don't mind standing out in the crowd in a bold color) I think your choice and the reasoning behind it are solid. You will love the SRT and the power of that 392 and I am sure the adjustable suspension will be very welcome during your long commutes. Looking forward to seeing pictures when you get the car!

#27 ·
So what color is this bad boy??

#28 · (Edited)
Both are great. My most valuable feedback is to garage it in the winter and buy a $1000-2000 winter beater. This simple preservation act will make this car last a life time. If you drive this daily in the winter, you are guaranteed to destroy it in about 5 years due to rust. And maybe even accident(s) from your bad driving or other bad drivers and the weather (ice, sleet, snow, slush, etc.).

Salted winter roads will destroy this car in 5 years. Salted winter roads eat through frames fast. That, and other drivers are bad drivers too and accidents are more common. I know, I'm from a northern wintery salt road state where there are ice and snow storms regularly, and anyone who is smart garages their nice cars and gets a winter beater for winter driving.

Edited to add: I see you made a choice on a SRT. An excellent pick. I say this with the upmost respect. You'd be a fool to drive this powerful beautiful beast in the Wisconsin winters. You will destroy it... with ~500hp to the rears, it's a summer and nice weather car. Not a winter daily... Garage it, buy a winter beater. You will thank me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.