IAT sensor - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
IAT sensor

Is it normal that my Intake air temp is around 160-175 degrees when ambient temperature is 78 degrees? Reason for asking is because I have install a new aftermarket kenwood radio and I connected the datas vehicle to it using the obd port. The radio displays gauges and noticed IAT at 175 degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

With performance pages I see IAT's typically 3 to 4 degrees above ambient unless you're talking about stop and go driving. Heat soak can be brutal in these cars with out airflow over the engine. I dont ever think I've seen 175. If you're seeing that as the typical temp, something is wrong with how your Kenwood is reading data.

2015 SRT 392 A8, Granite, Sepia, Totaled 8/9/17
2016 SRT 392 A8, Go Mango w/Satin Black Hellcat Hood and Mopar TA CAI, Tech package, Napa, Sunroof, Scott Drake Black billet fuel door, KW Adjustable Springs, BWoody Sway Bar End Links, Scott Drake Front Shock Tower Brace, Billet Tech Catch Can, Downforce Solutions Front Splitter and Wickerbill, Akrapovic CF Exhaust Tips, Xpel 20% tint.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I have 2013 dodge challenger rt is there a performance page on the evic screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

No. That's 2015 and up.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:03 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
On a NA engine, only way IAT would get close to that hot is if the car sat for a short period (intake heat soaked) of time after running for a while, but the temperature would drop as fresh air charge was coming in. On my SC setup I usually see 30F above ambient...never seen it that hot though.

I thought the pre-2015 models had the EVIC screens.

Dodge Challenger Hidden EVIC Screens and Meanings | West Coast Challengers Car Club

On my 2015 RT, I needed zautomotive's Tazer to enable performance pages on my instrument cluster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:02 AM

Garage
Worst I ever saw was 135F intake air temperature -- in my Boxster -- this in 116F heat in AZ. The intake air temperature would have probably been higher at least for a bit had I let the car heat soak. The engine compartment fan was on all the time, even at highway speeds, at least at speeds below which I could hear the fan running.

The 135F intake air temperature was not quite 20F above ambient. The Boxster intake air temperature normally ran 12F or more degrees above ambient for a couple of reasons I won't cover here.

160F to 175F intake air temperature at 78F ambient after the engine has been running a bit and the car moving though sounds implausible.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:25 AM

Garage
Just went through over 100 trips data logged with my Boxster.

Highest intake temperature was on 1/27/2015 at 12:54pm. 136F. (I can't recall where the heck I was on January 27, 2015 that the intake air temperature would get to 102F.)

Because it takes the data logger a few seconds to connect with the engine controller via OBD2 right after engine start this was a few seconds, at least 5 seconds, after engine start and after the engine had sat for 27 minutes. When shut off intake air temperature was 102F.

So heat soak raised the intake air temperature -- due to heating the intake system -- by a bit over 30F.

To repeat myself, 160F to 175F intake air temperature is almost certainly implausible.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Rockster, You could be right on the sun bake part. I have a long drive to Edwards airforce base in a week or so, will look at it
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanogar View Post
Thanks Rockster, You could be right on the sun bake part. I have a long drive to Edwards airforce base in a week or so, will look at it

Edwards Air Force base... reminds me...

One nice day having left Las Vegas earlier that morning I was on 58 headed west and passing north of the base.

I was in my '88 Tempo, which gives you an idea of how long ago this was.

Everything was fine and I was enjoying the drive in my just months old new car, then a noise made itself known to me. Car felt fine. Dash showed nothing amiss. But as I drove the noise got louder and louder and very quickly too. Then the noise was so loud even though the car felt fine and there were no signs of anything wrong I lifted off the gas and was preparing to pull over.

About that time then a shadow passed overhead and then a jet at a real low altitude followed the shadow.

Noise was nearly deafening then gone.

Got buzzed by I guess someone practicing his strafing run.

Kind of cool. Had it been real though I would have been toast before I heard the noise of the jet.

Since then have driven over that stretch of 58 highway a number of times, in among other cars my 2006 GTO and my 996 Turbo. Had a jet made another appearance I was going to giving him a really moving target to practice with. Probably just as well no jet made an appearance though.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:56 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Also, there are different IAT sensors can read ~50F apart from each other but I doubt that is your problem.

https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...nprobe-271146/

Have you checked what the IAT reads at cold start to see if it matches ambient temp?

If it does not then it could be that the kenwood radio is using some generic SAE standard for the IAT PID which is not giving accurate readings.

On HP tuners there are some PIDs that are vehicle specific and using the generic SAE standard results inaccurate readings.

Again, only way you will see such high intake temps is at start up when engine is hot and the system sat for some time to heatsoak (see image for example).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	start up.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	945245  

Last edited by ChallyTatum; 05-07-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode