Impressions after installing Barton shifter - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Impressions after installing Barton shifter

I was one allen key too short, but I got it in last night and it feels great. As others have said, it's a much more solid feel than the stock shifter and looks marvelous. Getting into reverse and first seem easier, though the notchiness getting into gears is still there. I'm noticing it especially when going into 2nd. I would say it even seems more difficult now that I have a more tight, hard shifting experience as opposed to the looser feel of the stock shifter. I still find myself sometimes not getting it all the way into 2nd before I embarassingly rev and realize I'm not in a gear.

So some did suggest greasing the bearings with lithium but when I looked at the bearings on the Barton, they seemed pretty well greased up already. I'm wondering if there are other parts of the shifter that could use some grease that would help get past those "notches" more easily. I can live it with the way it is, but being the perfectionist I am and since I do love my car, I'll probably look into the next step - the synchro kit. Sounds like it will cost a pretty penny to get that installed, so it won't be anytime soon.

Just wondering what other impressions of the Barton have been, especially in regards to the tightness and 2nd gear specifically and whether people have done any after-aftermarket modifications to make it smoother and more user friendly.

PS - I should note that this was installed on a 2015 RT Plus Shaker 6MT

Cheers!

Last edited by GreenHornet15; 05-06-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:54 AM

Notchy-ness is going to be a result of the trans itself. The t56-tr6060 are well known to be big, clunky, sturdy transmissions. If you havent already, change your trans fluid to a high performance fluid that smoothed out my shifting a whole lot after i put my barton in.

And when the time comes switch out those factory synchros with the tremec upgraded ones.

Advantage i found with the barton is you can force it i to gear regardless of the notch/gates. Not recommended but possible
The Following User Says Thank You to trippytro For This Useful Post:
GreenHornet15 (05-06-2019)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytro View Post
Notchy-ness is going to be a result of the trans itself. The t56-tr6060 are well known to be big, clunky, sturdy transmissions. If you havent already, change your trans fluid to a high performance fluid that smoothed out my shifting a whole lot after i put my barton in.

And when the time comes switch out those factory synchros with the tremec upgraded ones.

Advantage i found with the barton is you can force it i to gear regardless of the notch/gates. Not recommended but possible
What transmission fluid did you use, and where did you get it?

As for the syncros, I didn't wait, and have already installed the hybrid syncros for all gears, not just 2nd, because the labor costs way more than the syncros.

Somewhere in the Sonora Desert...
2014 R/T Shaker M6 w/JBA long tubes and exhaust, Magnuson super charger, Fastman throttle body, API fuel hat, HHP custom tune - See the rest in my garage...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wife: 2015 R/T Plus A8 jazz blue pearl w/ Super Track Pak, A/C-heated leather seats and some other cool stuff,,,
Member:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gila Hemi For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gila Hemi View Post
What transmission fluid did you use, and where did you get it?

As for the syncros, I didn't wait, and have already installed the hybrid syncros for all gears, not just 2nd, because the labor costs way more than the syncros.

Im very happy with the DRIVEN fluids. No additives just the fluid straight noticed a difference right away. Other people have had good luck with valvoline synchromesh and royal purple too.

DRIVEN makes good stuff though im running their stuff in my trans and diff. Designed not to use additives
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trippytro For This Useful Post:
Gila Hemi (05-07-2019), GreenHornet15 (05-06-2019)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Im very happy with the DRIVEN fluids. No additives just the fluid straight noticed a difference right away. Other people have had good luck with valvoline synchromesh and royal purple too.

DRIVEN makes good stuff though im running their stuff in my trans and diff. Designed not to use additives

I think my next step will be the fluid. I don't know too much about the friction points in a transmission, but it does feel like something needs to be lubed better. I replaced the trans fluid a few months ago with the recommended Mopar fluid as per the manual. This was done at the dealership when I first bought the car used to be sure I was in good shape. I have heard people say they would only use recommended fluid and others who had great results with the royal purple fluid, so I may give that a go even if it's just to rule it out
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:

I use Driven as well and it has made a huge difference for me. Joe Gibbs racing developed it.

2010 Challenger SRT8 M6: TorRed, Barton (skip shift+), Mopar Performance Long Ram CAI and Exhaust Tips, Fastman TB mod, Speedlogix Strut Tower Brace (front and rear), Brass Monkey Wheels (clones), Arrington Catch Can, 30% Tint (doubles the hp)
2016 Subaru CrossTrek (daily driver)
2006 Ducati 999s (scary fast)
1998 Ducati 748 SPS (far from stock)

"Who Dares Wins"
The Following User Says Thank You to YellowDuc For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:34 AM

In regards to DRIVEN's transmission fluid for the M6, which of their trans fluid is the one to use?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:02 AM

Installed the Barton around 20k changed trans fluid at 31k as part of normal maintenance. Shifting is a lot smoother and less notchy after the change. 2nd can still nibble and be an issue but It may be more a combo of how I drive and the 2nd gear lockout that sometimes happens. .
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMopar View Post
In regards to DRIVEN's transmission fluid for the M6, which of their trans fluid is the one to use?

https://www.drivenracingoil.com/stf-...ion-fluid.html

As far as I know they only make 1 Manual trans fluid right here. Kind of pricey but worth every penny IMO
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:08 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Maybe you will have luck with a different oil. I have tried ATF, RP synchromesh and the new Tremec MTF and I still have some degree of notchiness in 2nd and now 4th which has convinced me there is an issue with my trans.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Tags
barton , manual , shifter , synchro , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode