Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Installing R/T emblem on spoiler - looking for pointers, advice, etc

6K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  davemeyer 
#1 ·
Sorry if this belongs in the R/T section ..............

The R/T emblem that I ordered (part # 4806323AB) will be arriving soon, so wanted to see if anyone has any advice/lessons learned/etc that I should take advantage of when installing it on my rear spoiler ................. such as :

- mounting it straight/level
- good adhesion
- left-to-right location (ie just left of the right-hand-side trunk seem)

- other ?

I have a 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T with a black spoiler.

Thanks

#3 ·
just my two bits having done a few...
#1. clean the area where the emblem is to be mounted with windex, simpe green or similar, then again with rubbing alcohal to remove any & all wax, grease, dirt, etc.
#2. I used painters tape to lay down a straight tape line where the bottom edge of the emblem should be once mounted. stand back and look at the tape line from several angles to make sure thats where you want the emblem and its not crooked, canted or what have you. You could use a small bubble level to confirm tape line is straight, but most tiems can be done by eye. The tape is easily adjusted/removed and will serve as the margin or guide for final install.
#3. a little bit of sunshine doesnt hurt..warms the plastic spoiler and will help with a bit faster adhesion.
#4. peel n stick. hold in place for a few minutes and you should be good to go.

#11 ·
+1

I placed 345 HEMI badges on my Ram 1500 in place of the 5.7 HEMI. I did it just like this. Took my time. It turned out well.

#6 ·
Look closely at pictures. I'm on my second HC badge as I placed the first too far right, and too low.

Tape can help, but a bunch of the Mopar badges have this big foam block that surrounds the emblem, which makes lining up to a tape line more challenging.

#13 ·
Not there!!! >:)

Looks great :wink3:

A Guy

Reactions: davemeyer
#14 ·
After the install, I realized just how concave the spoiler surface is. Are they "all like that" (in the 2010 era) ? I'm the 2nd owner, so not sure if the spoiler is 'factory' or not. (My equipment list says "MXXS Rear Bodycolor Spoiler")

Seems like this is gonna affect the adhesion.

#18 ·
After a week or so (of mostly sitting in the garage due to weather, etc), I noticed the emblem was just barely clinging to the spoiler ........ just at the top and bottom of the letters. So I removed it. And lets just say there was not much messy "goo" to remove from the spoiler.

The part I purchased (on ebay) was OEM, came in a sealed OEM bag with OEM part #, etc, so I trust it was OEM.

So either I did not clean the spoiler well enough before installing .............. or perhaps the emblem was so old that the glue had deteriorated ? Or other explanation ?

I really liked the look, but not sure if I want to give it another try.

#20 · (Edited)
I cleaned the area well. Then I used blue painters tape to space the right side of the RT emblem the width of the tape to the left of the trunk lid. Then I set the emblem on the spoiler and found that the emblem was flat and there was a curve to the spoiler. So I pre-bent the emblem to try and match the curve. Then I used a level on the emblem and removed the strip. Then attached.
I too looked at several pictures of others and just chose the location that I liked best. Using the blue tape allowed me to make changes to the location until I was happy.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.