Maintenance Differences? - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:19 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Thanked 1,047 Times in 872 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
main difference is the 6.4 engine has more frequent oil changes 6K / 6mos max vs. the 5.7s which is 10K / 12mos max.

The 5.7s can go off a bit earlier than 10K if driven in more demanding conditions (hot temperatures, mountain grades, lots of idling time in traffic) - and the system will trigger sooner than 10K

The brake life might be a little shorter with Brembo brakes, but this like tires, is affected by driver habits and driving conditions.
Spark plugs intervals are different but not by much...6.4 is at 96K and 5.7 is at 100K. The online chilton manual lets you compare PM for an RT and SP...did not know about that option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.7 PM chilton.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	944191   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.4 PM chilton.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	944193  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ M6 (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:55 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches1974 View Post
I'm still in hardcore save mode, but planning to order my challenger later this year or early next. I thought I was going to be content with a scat pack, but now I'm not so sure.

Here is my question: What are the major differences between routine maintenance with the 5.7 and the 6.4 motors?

At first I thought it would be brakes and tires would wear faster and I have no issue with that. Nor do I have issue with premium over mid grade, as premium is cheaper than mid grade where I live. Under $3.00 a gal.
Now, after reading through the forums ( I searched and did not find a thread like this ) I see that oil changes are recommended every 6 months. That got me to thinking what other hidden surprises will I find?

Thanks in advance for any help!
89 octane fuel is made by mixing 91 octane fuel and 87 octane fuel together, fifty-fifty...

Somewhere in the Sonora Desert...
2014 R/T Shaker M6 w/JBA long tubes and exhaust, Magnuson super charger, Fastman throttle body, Fore Innovations dual pump, HHP custom tune - See the rest in my garage...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wife: 2015 R/T Plus A8 jazz blue pearl w/ Super Track Pak, A/C-heated leather seats and some other cool stuff,,,
Member:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode