Mods for '19 Scat Pack 392? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-09-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Mods for '19 Scat Pack 392?

So I've got a new '19 Scat Pack 392 coming, and I'm wondering what are some of the popular mods these days for these new cars? I was into modding with my current 07' R/T, but I have been out of the game for a bit.

I planned on picking up a CAI right away - but other than that - I planned to wait until ~20k before I considered an ECU 93 Octane Tune and/or Exhaust. Thoughts? Are these ECU tunes on the 392s really throwing some worthwhile torque/HP gains?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-09-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfingertips View Post
So I've got a new '19 Scat Pack 392 coming, and I'm wondering what are some of the popular mods these days for these new cars? I was into modding with my current 07' R/T, but I have been out of the game for a bit.

I planned on picking up a CAI right away - but other than that - I planned to wait until ~20k before I considered an ECU 93 Octane Tune and/or Exhaust. Thoughts? Are these ECU tunes on the 392s really throwing some worthwhile torque/HP gains?
From what I've seen a tune will net you 15-25 wheel horsepower at best. I don't think it's really worth it unless you install a larger throttle body and long tube headers (I'd include high flow cats) along with it. You can also port and clean up the runners on your intake manifold if you want.

Oil catch can(s) are a must as well, these Hemis have a lot of oil blowby.

I wouldn't worry about an aftermarket exhaust unless maybe you want to cut off the resonators or mid-mufflers to get a little bit more loud.

The 392 stock heads already flow very well so I wouldn't worry about porting them.

Beyond that, I wouldn't do anything unless you want to spend the kind of money that a new cam (along with new lifters, pushrods, springs, and maybe valves), or a stroker kit, would require.

You *could* go with a supercharger, but the stock 392 pistons can't handle more than about 5-6 pounds of boost.

Biggest thing you probably need are better rear tires. 305 is a decent size but the Pirellis are not that great for hooking on a launch.

There are a lot of suspension mods you can make. KW coilovers to lower the car and keep your adaptive suspension, new rear control arms, thicker sway bars, subframe connectors, front and rear strut bars.

Also I wouldn't buy a CAI unless you want something like a Legmaker True CAI. You could also buy a Hellcat airbox.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spartan040 For This Useful Post:
jgraham70 (05-09-2019)
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-09-2019, 05:51 PM

Garage
A tune with no performance mods will not be worth the money spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-11-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redaftrp View Post
A tune with no performance mods will not be worth the money spent.
This and I'll add a CAI isn't worth the money as well.

2017 Challenger T/A 392 Redline Tri-Coat
Leather Interior Group
Driver Convenience Group
Sound Group II
TorqueFlite Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission
Power Sunroof
Black Hood Pins
Uconnect 8.4 Navigation

The Following User Says Thank You to Jazz Blue Scat For This Useful Post:
PaVaSteeler (05-20-2019)
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-11-2019, 06:05 AM

The other issue with "tunes" is found in what it'll do to a power-train warranty. This may or may not be important to you but for me it's enough to know that it's a warranty killer to keep me from doing it.

If MORE power is important and it's not too late to get out of the deal you've make for the scat pack......I'd suggest a Hell Cat purchase instead. I drove both before buying my car and found the extra power to be "OK", as you'd expect but not really a reason to take a pass on the 392. Near 500HP seems to be more than enough on street tires.

For me, others may disagree, the Hell Cat is a car you buy for the drag racing potential......on slicks you can use the extra power. On street tires, not so much.

Still.......if it's extra power you want?

It's hard to argue against the Hell Cats. At 717HP or damned close to 800HP in a Red Eye......it's really hard to make a case for buying something in the middle of the pack for power and then losing warranty coverage.

Let's face it......if you WANT that extra power you're probably going to be using it......breaking stuff today could quickly run you right up against the extra cash you might have laid out to buy one of the super charged versions of this car instead.

Just something to think about before VOIDING that warranty with a tune.
The Following User Says Thank You to TA 392 YJ For This Useful Post:
BilletTA392 (05-13-2019)
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-11-2019, 06:52 AM

Thanked 3,704 Times in 2,786 Posts
Yeah I'd do the T/A style CAI and that's about it, no way would I tune a 2019 car, that's 5 years of expensive powertrain warranty you would be putting at risk.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2016 SRT 392 - Billet Silver, Black Stripes, A8, Tech Group ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slidd For This Useful Post:
BilletTA392 (05-13-2019)
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-11-2019, 07:52 AM

spartan and TA392 are right on the money.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-11-2019, 08:00 AM

Thanked 4,299 Times in 2,682 Posts
Garage
I get slammed all the time for saying this. For the average guy, buy all the factory HP that you can afford.

For all the Mr Muscles that mod everything, have a bunch of extra money, and don't care about a factory warranty, have fun and mod away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Past: 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T "Classic" RIP Old Buddy 6/4/15

The Present: 2016 R/T Scat Pack. Factory Options: B5 Blue, 24G Package(A8), WRT Wheels, and Modern R/T Hood Stripe. Engine HP Mods: None Needed. HC Air Box/Tube; DIPs Screen; BT Catch Can; Mopar front Brace;"TA" style side stripes; Mopar '10 Center Caps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 19johned53 For This Useful Post:
BilletTA392 (05-13-2019), SpeedShift (05-22-2019)
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-11-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I planned on a catch can right away on this one. Regretted not doing it on my 07 RT.

Regarding the tunes, I know that an intake, throttle body and exhaust mods are necessary to fully utilize a tune. I was curious if anyone on here has tuned any of the newer models and had some input or comparison runs, etc.

Regarding warranty... These new challengers require you to use a completely different ECU to tune them. So you buy another ECU, have vendor install tune, then you swap with yours. The dealer has absolutely no idea that you've had a tune on the car now because the entire ECU is replaced. Also, I spoke with my salseman at purchase, and have spoken with FCA dealers before on this - you can mod your cars and not void warranty. The key is, you can't bring in the car for warranty on the part you modded. Light tuning is also acceptable but like I said, the dealer can't even see our tunes now with the requirement to completely replace ECU.

So back to the question... Anyone mod these new ones? Haha guys I appreciate the input - my account is new but I've been lurking and modding for years.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-11-2019, 11:46 AM

Thanked 4,299 Times in 2,682 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfingertips View Post
I planned on a catch can right away on this one. Regretted not doing it on my 07 RT.

Regarding the tunes, I know that an intake, throttle body and exhaust mods are necessary to fully utilize a tune. I was curious if anyone on here has tuned any of the newer models and had some input or comparison runs, etc.

Regarding warranty... These new challengers require you to use a completely different ECU to tune them. So you buy another ECU, have vendor install tune, then you swap with yours. The dealer has absolutely no idea that you've had a tune on the car now because the entire ECU is replaced. Also, I spoke with my salseman at purchase, and have spoken with FCA dealers before on this - you can mod your cars and not void warranty. The key is, you can't bring in the car for warranty on the part you modded. Light tuning is also acceptable but like I said, the dealer can't even see our tunes now with the requirement to completely replace ECU.

So back to the question... Anyone mod these new ones? Haha guys I appreciate the input - my account is new but I've been lurking and modding for years.
FCA can easily "see" that the pcm has been changed, if a warranty issue comes up. They can tell you that the pcm has been changed "x amount" of times, and a whole lot more too.

There's no fooling them anymore. It's all in the electronics, and if they feel the need to "dig" into what has gone on before the warranty issue.

The only person being fooled is yourself, and you'll end up with the bill and a restricted powertrain warranty.

If you don't believe me, ask Luke at Steve White. He'll tell you the same thing. FCA is done fooling around with pcm swaps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 19johned53 For This Useful Post:
BilletTA392 (05-13-2019), PaVaSteeler (05-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in