Mods for '19 Scat Pack 392? - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdahl383 View Post
If you are concerned about your warranty, then don't tune the car.

FCA/Dodge will tell you it voids the warranty most likely. This is where Dodge sucks. They could offer us performance minded folks a performance PCM/tune upgrade through Mopar similar to what GM/Ford offer, but they don't, and instead they lock everything down with no other option but to go aftermarket.

I pull my air filter out of the airbox when I race at the track, that's about as much airflow as you can get. CAI's are a waste of money, negligible gain, and most suck in hot air which is worse than the stock airbox. I've read all the threads, articles, opinions out there and tested things at the track. Hellcat airbox is where it's at. The only one worth looking into is the LMI True CAI, that pulls air from the fenderwell area. If you're dead set on getting one, check that one out.

Email tune is just that, a tune that is emailed to you. The tuner will send you a file via email, you download it to your computer, then upload it to the tuner, and then upload it to your car's PCM via the OBD port under the dash. To do this on 2015+ models you need to swap out your stock PCM for an unlocked one so that you can load tune files. From there, you datalog, check for knock retard and other parameters, send the log to the tuner, then he revises the tune based on your car's info, and you reload and test again. Usually 2-3 revisions gets it close. It's better if you have a wideband to log air/fuel ratio too, but for a basic street car that's not necessary. Greene Racing, Hemifever Tuning, Diablotoona, are all guys that I've used in the past with good results. There are other good ones out there as well, those are just the ones I have direct experience with.

Tazer is a small plug in device that enables line lock, SRT drive modes, and light show. It does a few other things too. Newer models need the bypass unit and it plugs in by the battery in the trunk. Older models like mine (2015) you just plug it in under the dash. Track mode is good for .1 off your 0-60mph and ET over Sport mode. Line lock is great for burnouts at the track. Light show to me is useless. It's $250 new. Used they go for $150 or so. If you have an A8 car and plan to race it at the track, I'd get one. If you have an A8 car and don't plan to race it or you have an M6 car, I wouldn't bother. Tazer is made by ZAutomotive. Check out their website for more info.
1. Would you consider the LMI to be better than hellcat box? That LMI looks interesting - I started looking into them after others on forum had mentioned it. Is filter internal to the tubing?
2. Ahh, I see what you mean regarding email tune. I have a Trinity in my 07' R/T so I did the tune/adjust myself which ended up jacking up pulse width on injectors until knock was minimal. I will look into those tuners when I get closer to considering it. If I did do a tune, I would absolutely get a wide-band.. that is the only way to accurately assess fuel/air and know that your tune is solid.
3. These Tazers are interesting... it mods the current PCM essentially? I'll look into it. Also I believe the stock '19 widebody's (what I ordered) come with LineLock, but the remainder of those features may be worth it.

I haven't done track time before, but I am going to once I break in my new widebody. Excited to get into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfingertips View Post
1. Would you consider the LMI to be better than hellcat box? That LMI looks interesting - I started looking into them after others on forum had mentioned it. Is filter internal to the tubing?
2. Ahh, I see what you mean regarding email tune. I have a Trinity in my 07' R/T so I did the tune/adjust myself which ended up jacking up pulse width on injectors until knock was minimal. I will look into those tuners when I get closer to considering it. If I did do a tune, I would absolutely get a wide-band.. that is the only way to accurately assess fuel/air and know that your tune is solid.
3. These Tazers are interesting... it mods the current PCM essentially? I'll look into it. Also I believe the stock '19 widebody's (what I ordered) come with LineLock, but the remainder of those features may be worth it.

I haven't done track time before, but I am going to once I break in my new widebody. Excited to get into it.
Cool, congrats on the new widebody! I've seen some widebody Scat Packs here at work, they're pretty cool. I think pictures don't do them justice. They look much better in person than in pictures I've seen.

The LMI is probably a little better than the hellcat airbox, but $400-500 better plus labor and cutting up your inner fenderwell better, not sure. The filter sits in front of the front tire in the fenderwell area. It will be harder to change obviously as well when the time comes for that. I think most people opt for the hellcat airbox because it's cheap, effective, and easy to maintain your filter.

Yep, you are familiar with the process then. I have a Trinity as well, works great, very easy to use. Look into the NTK wideband, it's a great unit and has a high quality O2 sensor. I got mine on sale for $249. Helps dial in the A/F ratio easily. Well worth it if you plan to tune/race the car. Not really necessary for a street use only car IMO.

The Tazer does not modify the PCM. It unlocks features already present in the car, I believe stored in the head unit in the stereo/NAV system. You may have some of those features already being a 2019 widebody, not sure. I'd wait until you get the car before you buy any of this stuff obviously. But track mode is nice to have, it shifts harder/faster than sport mode.

Carl
11.44 @ 120.71mph w/ 1.63 60ft / -445ft DA
Dragstrip videos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Cool, congrats on the new widebody! I've seen some widebody Scat Packs here at work, they're pretty cool. I think pictures don't do them justice. They look much better in person than in pictures I've seen.

The LMI is probably a little better than the hellcat airbox, but $400-500 better plus labor and cutting up your inner fenderwell better, not sure. The filter sits in front of the front tire in the fenderwell area. It will be harder to change obviously as well when the time comes for that. I think most people opt for the hellcat airbox because it's cheap, effective, and easy to maintain your filter.

Yep, you are familiar with the process then. I have a Trinity as well, works great, very easy to use. Look into the NTK wideband, it's a great unit and has a high quality O2 sensor. I got mine on sale for $249. Helps dial in the A/F ratio easily. Well worth it if you plan to tune/race the car. Not really necessary for a street use only car IMO.

The Tazer does not modify the PCM. It unlocks features already present in the car, I believe stored in the head unit in the stereo/NAV system. You may have some of those features already being a 2019 widebody, not sure. I'd wait until you get the car before you buy any of this stuff obviously. But track mode is nice to have, it shifts harder/faster than sport mode.
Thanks man. Yeah - 19 Widebody with every single option added that was possible, besides red caliper covers. I'm stoked. D1 status two weeks in now.

The LMI is interesting I will need to look up some videos to see how badly you need to cut up fender area. It seems like its worth it, but only concern I have with the concept is that by introducing the inlet so far away from the TB, you are adding more turbulence, which raises temperature and reduces flow. I imagine the difference is still net positive otherwise people wouldn't rave about it though.

When you used your trinity, did you end up needing to max out pulse width on injectors to fully mitigate knock? I was able to get knock down decently, not fully eliminated, except for the few normal RPM ranges. I have 07 Charger RT with magnaflow 18" cat-back with 1/4" oversized pipe, intake, Trinity. I believe my pulse width is maxed on what Trinity will allow - just wondering what yours ended up being.

The Tazer looks worth it just by all of the cool shit they are doing. Latest firmware allows you to raise/lower windows using key fob. That is awesome as ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
If you are concerned about your warranty, then don't tune the car.

FCA/Dodge will tell you it voids the warranty most likely. This is where Dodge sucks. They could offer us performance minded folks a performance PCM/tune upgrade through Mopar similar to what GM/Ford offer, but they don't, and instead they lock everything down with no other option but to go aftermarket.

I pull my air filter out of the airbox when I race at the track, that's about as much airflow as you can get. CAI's are a waste of money, negligible gain, and most suck in hot air which is worse than the stock airbox. I've read all the threads, articles, opinions out there and tested things at the track. Hellcat airbox is where it's at. The only one worth looking into is the LMI True CAI, that pulls air from the fenderwell area. If you're dead set on getting one, check that one out.

Email tune is just that, a tune that is emailed to you. The tuner will send you a file via email, you download it to your computer, then upload it to the tuner, and then upload it to your car's PCM via the OBD port under the dash. To do this on 2015+ models you need to swap out your stock PCM for an unlocked one so that you can load tune files. From there, you datalog, check for knock retard and other parameters, send the log to the tuner, then he revises the tune based on your car's info, and you reload and test again. Usually 2-3 revisions gets it close. It's better if you have a wideband to log air/fuel ratio too, but for a basic street car that's not necessary. Greene Racing, Hemifever Tuning, Diablotoona, are all guys that I've used in the past with good results. There are other good ones out there as well, those are just the ones I have direct experience with.

Tazer is a small plug in device that enables line lock, SRT drive modes, and light show. It does a few other things too. Newer models need the bypass unit and it plugs in by the battery in the trunk. Older models like mine (2015) you just plug it in under the dash. Track mode is good for .1 off your 0-60mph and ET over Sport mode. Line lock is great for burnouts at the track. Light show to me is useless. It's $250 new. Used they go for $150 or so. If you have an A8 car and plan to race it at the track, I'd get one. If you have an A8 car and don't plan to race it or you have an M6 car, I wouldn't bother. Tazer is made by ZAutomotive. Check out their website for more info.
Unless something has changed you can still buy another PCM reflash it with a J2534 thru tech authority unlock it, tune it and keep the stock one for future use. You should be able to clear the BCM after the stock one is reinstalled, the cost is pretty high, I wouldnt let any of the dealers around my area work on my car anyway.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:57 AM

Garage
Personally, I’d skip the CAI. Very, very little gain. If you really want to do something to get cooler air, you could go with the Hellcat setup, although I think it’s harder with the ‘19+ cars. And a higher flow filter. Personally, I’d just leave it all alone. The single best mod I did on my car was wider wheels/tires. That dropped my 0-60 from a consistent 4.5-4.6 to 4.1-4.2. A catch can is a good idea. And I actually like the differential brace, helped a bit with my wheel hop.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mprmk View Post
Unless something has changed you can still buy another PCM reflash it with a J2534 thru tech authority unlock it, tune it and keep the stock one for future use. You should be able to clear the BCM after the stock one is reinstalled, the cost is pretty high, I wouldnt let any of the dealers around my area work on my car anyway.
You cannot clear P1400 from the BCM. Period.

2017 Challenger T/A 392 Redline Tri-Coat
Leather Interior Group
Driver Convenience Group
Sound Group II
TorqueFlite Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission
Power Sunroof
Black Hood Pins
Uconnect 8.4 Navigation

The Following User Says Thank You to Jazz Blue Scat For This Useful Post:
BilletTA392 (05-17-2019)
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falioto View Post
...you could go with the Hellcat setup, although I think it’s harder with the ‘19+ cars...
Could you please elaborate? I was planning on doing this one.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDNiteLife View Post
I'm putting a Hellcat air box on mine right now with the AFE scoop, I'll let you know if it fits.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:10 PM

thanks for this thread. I needed these answers as well, what brand of catch can is everyone using?
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDNiteLife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by falioto View Post
...you could go with the Hellcat setup, although I think it’s harder with the ‘19+ cars...
Hellcat lower air box + headlight tube, which will bring in colder air from the headlight, just like the Hellcat. But from what I read, the ‘19+ cars make it a little harder to pop the center piece out of the headlight. Something about a screw that holds it or something. Otherwise everything should fit like the ‘15-‘18 cars. A ‘19 owner can elaborate for you further, I’m sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode