My Challenger dilema - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Comments here echoed what I have been thinking over night. I still love the B5 blue color, and it is equipped exactly the way I want it.

Going to add some previous gen RT Classic side stripes in black, and some staggered chrome TT wheels, and mopar stage 1lowering spring kit, and call it a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 03:41 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket 2012 View Post
A true "stick guy" will never be happy with an automatic, it may be faster but it sure isn't more fun.

2015 SRT 392
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 05:06 AM

Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,187 Posts
1. the 1st and MOST important option decision is color choice.
2. the 2nd most important option decision is the auto vs manual decision if manual is available.

settling on one option can be overcome, settling on two is a recipe for an unhappy owner who is going to take a bath financially when he trades in to correct the mistake he made

--Ray--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 TorRed S/E

- Greater love has no one than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
- All you can take with you is that which you have given away...Peter Bailey, Bailey Brothers Building and Loan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
I somewhat agree, although I have owned dozens of muscle cars, and at least half have been automatics. I enjoyed them all really, and don't recall lamenting the automatics.

I'm sure if I bought the RT, in the back of my mind on occasion would be wanting a 6-speed, but at the same time with a blower on the 5.7, the car would be a hoot no matter what trans it had.

Some fun automatic muscle cars I've had.

Trans Am TTA
Gran National
Duster 340
69 RR 440-6bbl
70 Camaro RS/SS
Husrt Olds
Magnum SRT8
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 05:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,458 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Super happy that I stick with the manual again. The new auto may be great at the strip and make life easier in the city, but outside of that I just can't imagine driving an auto over a stick.

Had I gone with an auto instead I'm sure that i would've regretted it.

2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack, B5, 6-speed, SPAG, WRTs, sunroof, SGII, Convenience, Tech and Leather; UPR catch can, skip-shift eliminator, Mopar splash guards.
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Inferno Red, 4.7L V8
RIP 11/2/14 - 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 06:44 AM

I'm a manual guy for the past 30 years. Can't get used to an auto, paddles or not. A couple weeks back I sold my VW Golf-R 6M to get a Chally. Drove a couple 6M 5.7's, which is what I was looking for, but couldn't find a sublime or granite crystal. Wandered onto the dealer lot where we bought my wife's '14 Ram and they had just rec'd a CG SP 6.4L 6M. Test drove it and now that's my daily. I could not even think of buying a 5.7 after driving this beast. Stick with your original plan and be happy and have no remorse.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943 View Post
I somewhat agree, although I have owned dozens of muscle cars, and at least half have been automatics. I enjoyed them all really, and don't recall lamenting the automatics.

I'm sure if I bought the RT, in the back of my mind on occasion would be wanting a 6-speed, but at the same time with a blower on the 5.7, the car would be a hoot no matter what trans it had.

Some fun automatic muscle cars I've had.

Trans Am TTA
Gran National
Duster 340
69 RR 440-6bbl
70 Camaro RS/SS
Husrt Olds
Magnum SRT8

Those are all great rides and the 8 speed is a very nice automatic. I would never bash anyone's choice of performance car, transmission type, engine displacement, etc. because it's all car-guy stuff and that's what really matters. I was merely agreeing (from experience) with the feedback that a "true stick" guy would never be happy with an automatic. Either direction you choose is a good one!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 09:59 AM

Automatic is great with forced induction and the dragstrip, but for a true 'enthusiast', no automatic will ever give you the feel that a manual transmission can. I can't imagine how 'tame' my 45-minute commute home would be with an automatic, as I would just become another desolate, soulless driver on the highway; more concerned about radio stations than RPM's. We all have that thought, 'the A8 is __ amount quicker in the 1/4 than the M6', and of course it is; it shifts in nearly 150ms with excellent torque multiplication. However, the driver-car-road connection and feedback is lost in translation.

1969 Road Runner.. Turbo + 451 BBM + Meth Inj + A2W...

2015 Challenger SRT M6.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 10:24 AM

Thumbs up

When I went to test drive the Scat and SRT, all they had on the lot were manual transmissions. I also prefer a stick, especially with a car like the Challenger. However, due to knee and hip issues, we thought it would be a better decision ordering the A8. We're both retired and who knows how much longer we can push a clutch without increased discomfort. I will say, this A8 tranny is amazing! I've never experienced a transmission that preforms like this one. Clearly if medical issues prevent you from choosing the M6, the A8 is the next best thing!

Now with all that said, I will also admit that being my SRT is basically a car for the occasional drive and not required for a daily driver, I still reflect on my decision regarding the A8. Those test drives I took with the M6 were,,,, fantastic! There really is no substitute for 'rowing' through the gears! As others have stated, if you're really a standard tranny guy (or gal) and there's no medical issues to hinder use of a clutch, the Challenger with the M6 and 392 Hemi (or the Hellcat) will give you the best combination for a "Fun Factor" ride!

~~~~~Lost In The 50's~~~~~
-------------------------------------
~~~~Rock-N-Roll 4 Ever~~~~

SRT 392 / Bright White / Nicknamed - MONGOOSE
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 10:31 AM

Garage
You are still going down from a 6.4 to a 5.7...

Current: 2015 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 6-Speed
Wife's Car: 2015 Dart SXT Ralleye/Blacktop w/ 2.4L Auto

'Murica!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode