My questions - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
My questions

Old/new member returning. I signed up here back in 2008. Never got a Challenger, but I think this is it. Planning to order a 2016 PCP. Here are my questions. Thanks for your help.

1. Does anyone know when dealers will stop taking orders for PCP?

2. We are planning to get a V6. In the ordering process, I can select the options and packages I want, and don't want, correct? I can use the current Dodge website to build that car and it should give me a good idea on price, correct? I understand the website is for 2015 models.

3. Will the price be MSRP or discounted on ordered cars? Right now, I can get one (2015) off the lot at $2-3K discount before negotiations.

4. I totally understand the width of the car and the limited rear view. Many of you own the Challenger for years. Does the rear view and blind spots still bother you? Be honest please, I know you love the car.

5. We also have 3 kids and a minivan. Do you think a Charger will fit us better? In other words, for the members with kids, did you wish it was a 4 door instead of two?

6. We can afford one new car. Because both the wife and I now like the Challenger, we may get two. His and Hers. Would you recommend a lease? Let me ask the question another way. I would like to be that Old Guy with the cool classic car that I owned for 30 years. So if I lease, I do plan to buy it after the lease, if the car remains trouble free and it's a keeper. Is leasing with the intention of purchasing going to cost me more in the long run?

7. Any female members on this forum? Just wondering how you like your Challenger. Are you happy with it? Like driving it? Do you find it easy to park it? Do people try to race you? Please don't be offended by me asking this.

8. I guess some of you have upgraded from V6 to Hemi. How did that change your insurance cost? I know we all have different rates. Just want to know the difference.

9. RT comes with standard manual transmission. I've never driven a manual with that much power. Do you find it easy in tight situations? In traffic? It is pretty much like the manuals from VW, Toyota, Honda, etc, but on a larger car?

10. Anything else I didn't ask, but should know about ordering process or Challengers?

Much thank you..

2016 SXT Plus PCP. My name is James. My friends call me "O.J." - Oriental James.

Last edited by O.J.Sakuma; 09-17-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 10:54 AM

2. We are planning to get a V6. In the ordering process, I can select the options and packages I want, and don't want, correct? I can use the current Dodge website to build that car and it should give me a good idea on price, correct? I understand the website is for 2015 models.

3. Will the price be MSRP or discounted on ordered cars? Right now, I can get one (2015) off the lot at $2-3K discount before negotiations.

4. I totally understand the width of the car and the limited rear view. Many of you own the Challenger for years. Does the rear view and blind spots still bother you? Be honest please, I know you love the car.
Had my R/T for nearly 7 years now!! For me personally, the car does have a good sized blind spot that I have to be extra aware of when driving. Would it ever deter me from buying the car if I could go back in time??? Hell NO! The camaro has much worse visibility and I'm sure the mustang is at most equal to the challenger's visibility. It comes with the territory in these type of cars. I will admit on 2 occasions I've lost sight of full size pickups in my blind spot, but that was my fault in allowing myself to be distracted and not fully concentrated when driving the beast. Maybe some other members on here know the ultimate way to adjust mirrors in order to completely eliminate blind spots but for 7 years I always look up and twist my head to check my peripheral before changing lanes, just to be 100% sure i'm not gonna take out some crotch rocket.

5. We also have 3 kids and a minivan. Do you think a Charger will fit us better? In other words, for the members with kids, did you wish it was a 4 door instead of two?
I don't have kids, but I can guarantee you that the charger will be much more convenient that the challenger for installing car seats and loading up kids... that's a given. It is possible in the challenger tho, but it is purely a compromise and a personal decision you'd have to make. Me personally, if the challenger will only carry kids every now and then, I think I could accept that compromise.

6. We can afford one new car. Because both the wife and I now like the Challenger, we may get two. His and Hers. Would you recommend a lease? Let me ask the question another way. I would like to be that Old Guy with the cool classic car that I owned for 30 years. So if I lease, I do plan to buy it after the lease, if the car remains trouble free and it's a keeper. Is leasing with the intention of purchasing going to cost me more in the long run?
That's an absolute YES. Leasing with intent to purchase after the terms of said lease will almost always cost you more. If someone has a miracle story where it worked out in their benefit then I'd be pretty surprised. My fiance just got hosed on leasing her toyota camry and then deciding to just keep it instead of looking for another vehicle. I plan on keeping my r/t for another 7+ years and I'm sure you'll fall in love to with yours and choose to do the same. Make the right decision the first time and finance it from the get go.

7. Any female members on this forum? Just wondering how you like your Challenger. Are you happy with it? Like driving it? Do you find it easy to park it? Do people try to race you? Please don't be offended by me asking this.

8. I guess some of you have upgraded from V6 to Hemi. How did that change your insurance cost? I know we all have different rates. Just want to know the difference.

9. RT comes with standard manual transmission. I've never driven a manual with that much power. Do you find it easy in tight situations? In traffic? It is pretty much like the manuals from VW, Toyota, Honda, etc, but on a larger car?
My car before the challenger was a 5-speed manual mazda protege... maybe 130 hp tops. I adjusted just fine after a few weeks. I never drove a v8 before this besides a chevy tahoe, much less a manual v8 muscle car. It was very very very intimidating at just the thought of stepping up to triple the hp I was used to. Surprisingly the hemi's can be very tame and subtle if you want them to be. Just had to learn a new level of respect for a vehicle such as this. Have fun, do burnouts... but be smart and responsible with it in the right environments and you'll stay off of youtube for wrapping your challenger around a tree trying to show off

10. Anything else I didn't ask, but should know about ordering process or Challengers?
Just order it! No car is perfect but I can promise you that the Challenger gives back waaaay more than the few sacrifices you have to make owing one. Plus its a car that already looks 45 years old... so it should be a cool looking car for at least another 45 years right???

09' Hemi Orange Challenger R/T w 6sp
Mods:
SRT Chin Spoiler / Colorshift Halo Rings / Plastidipped Wheels
Matte Black Rear Spoiler / Katzkin Interior / Catless Mids
SRT Chin Spoiler / Resonators Removed / Mopar CAI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Challenger5.7; 09-17-2015 at 11:01 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 10:58 AM

Thanked 3,757 Times in 2,826 Posts
RS has posted Plum Crazy orders must be in by end of December. I assume that PCP will then go away to make room for Go Mango.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2016 SRT 392 - Billet Silver, Black Stripes, A8, Tech Group ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 01:08 PM

Garage
OJ Sakuma, see responses to some of these in red below:

Old/new member returning. I signed up here back in 2008. Never got a Challenger, but I think this is it. Planning to order a 2016 PCP. Here are my questions. Thanks for your help.

I recommend using a third party website to get an idea of what price to pay. I used TrueCar.com and found that in March/April of this year the R/T Plus that I wanted to order was between $1000 to $1200 below invoice (here in the Mpls/St Paul area). I brought a TrueCar.com certificate from the lowest price dealer over to a one-price dealership near my home and asked if they could match it, and they came within $250. But yes, the Dodge site is very useful for estimating the total costs, and the process of ordering works pretty similar at the dealership to how their website works.

2015 models probably cannot be ordered right now, so those discounts on the 2015 cars on the lot probably won't be matched for a custom order. But again, use he various online resources to understand the going rates in your area.

I have the option (not sure which one) that added blind spot detection, and I have always kept it turned on. When a car is in the blind spot on either side, a light comes on in the side view mirror to alert me. If I switch on my turn signal (when the light is on) the stereo volume will drop momentarily while the system beeps at me to warn of the car in the blind spot. And the rear-view camera really helps when in revers. I don't perceive my car to have a blind spot problem.

As the kids get bigger it could be an issue, and forget about wrestling a car seat into the back. Booster seat, maybe. My budget director was PO'd that I went for the two door, but she is getting over it. Slowly. But my kids are grown up, and if we need to bring a carful, we just take our SUV.

Can't help you with lease questions. We tend to purchase and drive for 10+ years.

There are several females on the form, hope they can answer you. It appears they love their Challengers!

My Budget Director handles all that stuff.

I purchased the automatic because I HATE a manual transmission in heavy traffic. My budget director's car is a Subaru Outback with 6 speed manual, and it bites driving that in traffic. I was once caught in Saturday morning traffic on I70 traffic West out of Denver at the height of ski season, and with an accident near the Loveland Pass. By the time the traffic cleared, I and all the other manual transmission owners had smoking hot clutches. I was surprised that I made it without burning it out.

Every time I drive Ginger, I find myself smiling ear to ear.

2015 R/T Plus, delivered on 6/11/2015
Torred, with the red accent seats
Super Trac Pac
Driver Convenience Group
Sound Group II

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 01:14 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidd View Post
RS has posted Plum Crazy orders must be in by end of December. I assume that PCP will then go away to make room for Go Mango.

Hey

So they are really going to build V6 in PCP....in all the past years they never did that...so I am surprised if they do...

2005 and 2006 ram srt-10 quad cab-traded
2007 Dodge Charger srt8 plum crazy-sold
2008 Jeep Srt8 black-Sold
2010 challenger rt Mopar 10-SuperCharged-6 sp-traded
2012 challenger srt8-6 sp-sold
2011 challenger srt8, toxic-6sp...sold
2015 rt -SOLD
2016 SCAT PACK

we thought the Hellcat was coming to compete with the Mustang GT500 and Camaro Z/28. in Fact, it comes to DOMINATE them all!!!!!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.J.Sakuma View Post
I've had my challenger for about a year now and i have no issues with the blind spots. If you setup your mirrors CORRECTLY you will never have an issue while driving.(hint: most people dont know how to setup their mirrors correctly, if you can see the side of your car, your mirrors are setup incorrectly.) Having a 2009, i dont have a backup camera and thats about the only thing that takes some getting used to is backing up into a spot. You have to know the car very well to be able to back into a spot or parallel park, but once you do it a few times, it becomes pretty second nature.

Quote:
Absolutely will cost you more to lease the cars. Leases are basically a long term rental. If you decide to buy at the end of the lease, you are basically buying the same car twice. There are a few exceptions that can make leasing make sense, but it always involves it being a work vehicle that can be written off on taxes in specific cases.
People use leasing to get more car than they can actually afford. The way it works is you lease a car, you're paying tax on the car, interest, and the depreciation. At the end of the lease after you've paid for all those things, you either give the car back and have nothing to show for your thousands of dollars, or you buy out the lease, which is paying the residual value which is basically the bluebook retail value of the car as a used car. If you're going to keep the car for 3 years and replace it, and keep in that cycle, leasing can make sense, but if you plan to keep the car long term, don't lease. Ever.

Quote:

A manual in a car with more power, is usually just easier to drive than an econobox. All that torque makes getting moving in 1st gear a piece of cake. If you know how to drive a manual already, having more power and torque just makes things easier in all situations more often than not.

my two cents in blue.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper-power View Post
So they are really going to build V6 in PCP....in all the past years they never did that...so I am surprised if they do...
No on base SXT but yes on SXT Plus and everything else.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 01:24 PM

I talked to my friend at the dealership. He said only V8s could be ordered in Plum Crazy. Im not saying that is fact, but thats what I have heard. You may get something different when you sit down to place your order.

Good Luck
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 01:43 PM

I'm just looking at the 2016 Press Kit released by FCA a few weeks ago and their info has been proven wrong before. It shows B5 Blue, Ivory and PCP all the same...no base SXT and think that indeed was the case for B5 and Ivory. I'm guessing it's right this time.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So I moved forward with the process this weekend. Seems like all the managers on duty does not know what I'm talking about - ordering a PCP SXT Plus. One even told me that the system won't let them order it. So they took down what I want to order. Just to let you know how lack of knowledge they are. I mentioned I want to include the Driver Convenience Group Package, and they thought I was speaking a foreign language.

So today, I'm suppose to meet with the real guy. They will call me to let me know if it's possible (to order a PCP SXT Plus).

My questions are:

1. There should not be a "premium" added to ordering correct? These types of ordering is not "special" order correct? Bottom line is, It shouldn't cost me any more above MSRP.

2. The manager already told me "no discount." Can I negotiate?

TIA

Last edited by O.J.Sakuma; 09-28-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode