Obtained order for 2008 Chally on 4/10... it's now solely down to price... - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Cool Obtained order for 2008 Chally on 4/10... it's now solely down to price...

I've been following the Challenger almost daily since mid-last year, checking this forum and the sister site Charger forum just to get my fix on these two awesome cars. I currently lease a 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP. It's nice, and it's what I could afford at the time. The lease comes up in August of 2008 and I had been checking to find out when the Challenger would release. It looked as if the 2009 Challenger would release just about then and it would fit perfectly into my plans. I had then set up shop for the long wait and perused for information religiously. I saw the 2008s get announced and orders opened, good times. I knew at that point the Hemi Orange SRT8 was what I was going to want. The plan was, still, to wait for the 2009 model year and pick up the Hemi Orange SRT8 then. Orders banks opened and time passed.

Then Chrysler released information on the 2009 and I learned Hemi Orange is making its first and last (presumably) run for the SRT8 in 2008 only. I about dropped a brick in my pants at that time knowing that obtaining my ideal color was a virtual impossibility now. Even if one was available, that meant throwing several months of car payments for my current lease down the crapper. Nonetheless, I emailed a few dealers and planned on stopping in to a few as well. I just wanted to assure myself that it wasn't even an option for me anyways and that I was far too late into the game for a 2008. This was on 3/24/08

Only one of the 3 dealers I emailed actually responded, and I was informed that they actually had two Hemi Orange 2008s allocated to them and available that I could put down a $1,000 deposit and put my name on the order to essentially have first rights of refusal for that car when it came in. They were unsure on how much they would be selling it for, explaining "At this time, we do not know the price they will be sold for. This will all be based on supply and demand once we receive them."

I sat down to think about the pros/cons of the situation but decided it would be worth it to eat a few car payments on my G6 to have the color I want and a bonus of having it for the summer (Michigan winters suck quite a bit, after all). I replied that evening because I had some questions on the deposit and if it was refundable if I didn't agree on the pricing/etc.

The dealer comes back and explains that last night before I had responded someone came in and put down a deposit on one of the cars. The dealer further explains that they were mistaken and they had 1 Hemi Orange and 1 Silver available (not 2 orange) and the orange was the one that was just taken. I was told I could put down a deposit to be put in line to take a slot for a Hemi Orange if one opened up (They siad two 2008 Chally orders had been canceled before so that it is a possibility to happen) but I decided against having $1,000 down and only being on a waiting list.

My hopes were crushed. Oh well, I had wanted the excuse to justify there really wasn't a possibility of getting an Hemi Orange SRT8 and I got one. Nonetheless, I stopped into two other dealers the next day inquiring about the 2008 Challenger in Hemi Orange. Neither dealer really had much information about it, but neither had been accepting deposits for the cars and were simply maintaining lists of those interested. I assume they planned to just call down the list. I put my name on both lists, picked up a 2009 Chally brochure, and went home. I now sat with my name on two lists that guaranteed me nothing and just a glimmer of potential hope. Neither dealer could provide a price but *both* of them said their sales manager was expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,500 - $3,000 over MSRP. I was excited that they didn't seem like gouging to the tune of $20.000 like I've heard some dealers were. It may still be feasible.

While waiting impatiently for something to come of being on those lists, suddenly I get another email on 4/10/2008 from the dealer that I had originally been speaking to over email. I was informed that a Hemi Orange challenger order had just become available again. I immediately replied and was down at the dealer within a few hours. Spoke with the sales manager and got my name on the order and put $1,000 down. I was told that I now have rights to first refusal on the specific 2008 Hemi Orange they had on order for/allocated that I was emailed about. I asked what it was optioned with and he went to check. He came back and said he thought this was an order that was freed up from someone refunding their deposit (they had the option information on all of those), but said it was actually Chrysler assigning the dealership a new car, a pre-order as he put it, so they didn't have precise options available on it as he did the others and that he would call me when he found out. I thought that was interesting.

I then found out that, as seems to be the trend, only one of their cars went into production as of yet - but several had been assigned VINs. He told me that the person with that car in production is paying $16,000 over MSRP. Man I hope that they don't ask anywhere near that from me. I'd already be biting some car payments to get this early, if they jack the price much over MSRP it won't even be an option for me. If that happens I will probably have to wait for an '09 and settle on something like Red, and if they gouge something fierce you can be assured no cars will be purchased from them now or in the future.

Well, the wait is on. Way late in the game (4/10/08) I was able to secure a 2008 Hemi Orange order -- hopefully it is optioned as I want (I know there are only 3 options, tires/nav/sunroof -- all of which would be desired on my car). It's in the dealer's hands now when they come back to tell me the car is in production and what price they want.

If they come up with an MSRP price, I'll jump on that thing immediately. If it's above MSRP, it will definitely depend greatly on a lot of factors. We'll see.... *continues to wait*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 10:25 PM
RubberBannedWithCondom

Re: Obtained order for 2008 Chally on 4/10... it's now solely down to price...

Good luck,I have a feeling most will be fighting for the 08's with big cash as the dealer will go with the guy with the most green.I hope Im wrong here but I was screwed out of an 08 order by a salemanger that I trusted.He told me my car went to the dealerships owner(his best friend).

I went with another to get my car .
Im in Michigan also Holland/Lakeshore area wasnt this the worst damn winter you can remember.
We deserve a break and this car would make summer one to remember.

Keep us informed please seems like you really got lucky !!!!!!!!!

Very cool.

Last edited by NOT EVEN REMOTELY SURE; 04-11-2008 at 11:18 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 10:53 PM

Congrats on the car, maybe! I hope it all works out for you, but knowing that hemi orange is a limited color they might try to get a little more out of you.

I used to live in Stevensville, and that's where I'm getting my Challenger from!

2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker..Hopefully Ordering Soon
2014 Ram 1500 BigHorn
2013 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 11:41 PM
RubberBannedWithCondom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73 View Post
Congrats on the car, maybe! I hope it all works out for you, but knowing that hemi orange is a limited color they might try to get a little more out of you.

I used to live in Stevensville, and that's where I'm getting my Challenger from!
Stevensville, hell thats not far at all. What a small damn world,it's funny I had never thought to go on line and fish for chally info and the funny thing is there has been nothing but good people attached to this car from its inception.I was out of the counrty when the dec 3rd dead line hit and to tell you the truth I forgot,but my dealer who was the sales manager and I personally went to talk with him multipule time, and left all my info and a cash deposit .Just shafted me and neglected to call so my car went to some buddy of the owner of the dealership.
This wasnt easy to take and for months now I have had a deposit on one of the first challys at my local dealership to come off the truck.
I know now that whole deal was tainted from the get go and I simply got out of the 09 Rt ,and went to a direct source.
Things in my opinion had a way of working themsleves out and Bob Fredericks will hande this for me. I put confidence in the fact he's a straight shooter and he's not here to sell cars but to help Dodge! What a perfect connection to make for years to come as I buy more product from a dealer that has integrity,and isnt in it to milk you dry.

Im driving 7 hours one way the day of pick up to get the car and will have the wife and kid along in the new Rv,so well make a trip out of it on the way home.Great way to break in the car I feel if not relax once its all over.
It will be fun to remember some day.
Nothing will match the 26 hours straight run home from Miami Fl,To Michigan in my last 73 challenger rallye 340 hi-po.
I only stopped for gas and 2 waffle house stops the whole way home my buddy who tagged along was amazed.It is what had gotten me into a total realization of what Kowalski must have went thru as he was on the road days at a time.That was a treat of a lifetime and you know what that challenger made it without a single issue( 10 tanks of gas ) Ugh!
You have to live it some times and you know what it was one of the best times of my life I was never tired and loving every minute of it.Since then I hate to drive,lol serious!
I got home and slept for 2 days.
I got up twice to actually look outside to see the car and see if it really happened or not.What a good horse she was I was sorry to sell her back a few years ago.

Things look good:
My deposit was recieved today he emailed to confirm that, he has my build spec's and its a go the minute Dodge opens the stable doors and allows orders to be taken for the 09's.Then well talk specifics.
I cant wait its pretty neat hes as excited about this as we all are that was obvious from speaking with him on the phone the other day.Cool guy!

Your lucky you were not here this winter !!! Holy crap record snows off the lakes buried us for months not a single warm day since last November.
The vette had some serious flat spots on the tires this spring I'm due for a change and this car will be perfect so to let the vette sit a bit with 50k on it.Thats a true sign of a horsecrap long winter.FLAT SPOTS!!!

Lets just hope all our dreams come to fruition.Like I stated before this is a once in a lifetime deal here to actually have a car company re-make your most favorite car and do it justice.So many times they get it wrong and well all have to settle,not this time.Keep us updated on your info as it trickles in.

Last edited by NOT EVEN REMOTELY SURE; 04-15-2008 at 11:36 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

(Thread Starter)

Just got home to a voicemail from one of the other dealers that I was on a random 'call list' for and was informed that he is expecting challengers to be at the dealership potentially by the end of the week (not sure how much truth there is to this) and that the dealership is now accepting deposits on them (previously they were not accepting deposits and waiting for more info on them)

I'm going to go in tomorrow and check it out. We'll see.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 08:08 PM
RubberBannedWithCondom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venthos View Post
Just got home to a voicemail from one of the other dealers that I was on a random 'call list' for and was informed that he is expecting challengers to be at the dealership potentially by the end of the week (not sure how much truth there is to this) and that the dealership is now accepting deposits on them (previously they were not accepting deposits and waiting for more info on them)

I'm going to go in tomorrow and check it out. We'll see.
Please do keep us informed damn good news...........

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

(Thread Starter)

Well, just gave that dealer a call a few minutes ago. Said they're getting 1 in within the next few days that will be for their showroom, and that they have 11 cars available to put a deposit on at this moment. He said they're looking for $5,000 over MSRP.

Sigh... I know this is a limited edition/limited availability -- but damn.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 12:10 PM
RubberBannedWithCondom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venthos View Post
Well, just gave that dealer a call a few minutes ago. Said they're getting 1 in within the next few days that will be for their showroom, and that they have 11 cars available to put a deposit on at this moment. He said they're looking for $5,000 over MSRP.

Sigh... I know this is a limited edition/limited availability -- but damn.

Id hold out get an 09 and drive it with out a care...

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 01:06 PM

I would not get you hopes up for the 08 Orange. I would be very surprised if they don't sell it for a min of $10k over sticker.

I was told a while back they would be going for sticker to only hear later both dealerships decided it was going to the highest bidder.

I too am truly saddened about the Hemi Orange not being offered in the 09. It does not make sense to offer in the R/T and not SRT. Should be other way around. I would recommend you get vocal to Dodge about it. I did and have been trying to enlist others. The availability and the pricing on the 08 does not make it fair to the buying public to not offer that color on the SRT in 09.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 SRT8 Auto Hemi Orange
With Great Power Comes an even Greater Responsibility (Be Safe)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 02:17 PM

South Holland Dodge - New and Used Cars, Parts and Service - South Holland, IL .My local gas station owner just told me yesterday he'd received a mailer from this dealer ,"To come in and see the New Dodge Challenger" !! I told him the first build date was April 14th or later ,so how could there be one in the showroom ? I told him if so, it had to be one of the mules,but I doubt they have one in yet ! I haven't driven by them of late. I see at the bottom of their page it shows Challenger with a sunroof.I don't like the looks of a sunroof on a challenger.In fact I'd rather they delete the sunroof and the B-pillar. Y-ahhhhhhh, they can do the time and effort to put in a sunroof,but not to delete the B-Pillar !!Oh, well,hope for all the blind spot/irritance is not as bad as in the Charger [ Sedan]! Anyways, the Challenger still looks great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode