Ordering a Hellcat, I think... - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Ordering a Hellcat, I think...

So Friday, My credit was approved but the only Hellcat that the dealer had, just wasn't my color. As I was headed for the door, I ask about ordering one in the color I wanted. Well I was told that of course ordering Hellcat's was Restricted at the moment and that they wouldn't know what the dealerships allotment would be until the beginning of the month(Today). Then a Manager said he'd check with his rep, but the rumor mill had it that they weren't even taking orders in April and possibly May so I left . Anyhow, I had no sooner walked in the door when my salesmen called me back and said the rep got back with to his manager and it was good news for me. He said that if he pushed the order thru as sold, for a $1,000 deposit (non refundable) "I would have my Hellcat made to order in 6 to 8 weeks". So I went thru the build specs I wanted in my car as I was on the phone and let them charger my credit card for a grand. This was Friday. Today I received a text from my salesman informing me that a vin number was generated for my new hellcat and he gave it to me.

?????

Does this make sense as to the order of operations? Never ordered a new car and just wanted to run it by the brotherhood
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarDiv View Post
So Friday, My credit was approved but the only Hellcat that the dealer had, just wasn't my color. As I was headed for the door, I ask about ordering one in the color I wanted. Well I was told that of course ordering Hellcat's was Restricted at the moment and that they wouldn't know what the dealerships allotment would be until the beginning of the month(Today). Then a Manager said he'd check with his rep, but the rumor mill had it that they weren't even taking orders in April and possibly May so I left . Anyhow, I had no sooner walked in the door when my salesmen called me back and said the rep got back with to his manager and it was good news for me. He said that if he pushed the order thru as sold, for a $1,000 deposit (non refundable) "I would have my Hellcat made to order in 6 to 8 weeks". So I went thru the build specs I wanted in my car as I was on the phone and let them charger my credit card for a grand. This was Friday. Today I received a text from my salesman informing me that a vin number was generated for my new hellcat and he gave it to me.

?????

Does this make sense as to the order of operations? Never ordered a new car and just wanted to run it by the brotherhood
Semper Fi

I just ordered a Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body last Tuesday on March 26th and I got both my VIN Number and VON Number the next day on March 27th for my car. Your experience has me wondering about a question that I've been asking and trying to get answered on here in the forums that nobody has an answer to. You say that you just received a VIN Number for your Hellcat order just yesterday which was Monday, April 1st. The Brampton plant up in Ontario, Canada that makes all the different model Challenger cars has temporarily closed starting on Sunday, March 31st and they will be closed for the next 2 weeks from April 1st up until and including April 14th. They will be reopening back up again on April 15th.

What I'm wondering is "HOW" were you able to get a VIN Number for your Hellcat order while the Brampton plant is temporarily closed?? I myself am having a hard time trying to find out from Dodge Customer Service and from the dealer whether the current status on my Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body can move up to a D1 Status with a Build Date from its current D Status that it's in right now. If the Brampton plant is currently closed like it is and if you already received a VIN Number for your Hellcat order while the plant is temporarily closed, then I wonder whether there's a possibility that I will receive a D1 Status with a Build Date for my order too? Another thing that gets me thinking here is that if you received a VIN Number for your Hellcat order while the Brampton plant is currently temporarily shut down right now, then the VIN Number that you acquired was generated "electronically" by Dodge's automated computer system without requiring the Brampton plant to be open and production going on in it. As I found out, when we place an order for a Challenger through the Dodge dealer, the first few stages of our new car order (acquiring the VIN Number and VON Number) that go through are generated "electronically" through the Dodge computer system. However, any stage that requires assembly also goes through Dodge's computer system, but it requires that the Brampton plant to be open and in full production mode for the assembly stages to register and update themselves.
So I'm wondering if Dodge has set up their computer system to have the capability to automatically generate the D Status and the D1 Status while the plant is temporarily closed just like it automatically generated your VIN Number and VON Number?? It would be nice to be able to find out the answer to this question. Nobody here or at Dodge Customer Service or at the dealer knows the answer to this question and they all give different answers to it. The only person who can clearly answer this question is someone who knows how the computerized Dodge ordering system works when the Brampton plant is temporarily shut down. There has to be some early ordering stages (like acquiring the VIN Number, Von Number, D Status and D1 Status with a Build Date) that occur "electronically" without requiring the Brampton plant to be open and operational. Otherwise, how else could've of you acquired your VIN Number like you did on April 1st while the plant was closed??

Last edited by Scatpacksam; 04-02-2019 at 04:59 AM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarDiv View Post

?????

Semper Fi

Makes sense from the dealer's perspective. It has your $1000 non refundable (??!!) deposit and among other things it means you are very unlikely to go to anotherr dealer and buy a car.

(Can a dealer really hold you to that non refundable deposit? I'm thinking a dealer might say that just to get a feel for how serious a shopper is but there are laws -- at least in some areas -- where a deposit can't be non-refundable.)

Maybe the car arrives in 6 to 8 weeks. I'm not current on how long it takes to build a car to a customer's specifications and deliver a car to a customer.

Be sure as soon as you can you review the order to ensure it is correct. Mistakes can be made and ordering over the phone is as mistake prone as any and more than some.

When the car comes in be sure it is correct, agrees with what you ordered. If it does not agree with the order you don't have to take the car, but with that non refundable deposit if this indeed the case you pay $1000 for the dealer's mistake.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockster For This Useful Post:
1stMarDiv (04-02-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:29 AM

At least in Massachusetts, the 'non-refundable' deposit is in reality; refundable. Been there done that, with another dealership a dozen plus years ago. It took involving the AG and a month of hassle, but I got it back. Vowed never to get myself into a situation like that again.

You're order seems legit. Your order may initially be generated a VIN as part of the order process prior to the plant receiving it or attaching it.

Best of luck to you!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChallengerBoston For This Useful Post:
1stMarDiv (04-02-2019)
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:38 PM

You get a VIN in D status which happens pretty quickly once there is allocation. Your experience mirrors mine and I'd consider yourself as owning that Challenger. Mine has taken more than 8 weeks but is on the train to me now. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNSANE For This Useful Post:
1stMarDiv (04-02-2019), Finface (04-06-2019)
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSANE View Post
You get a VIN in D status which happens pretty quickly once there is allocation. Your experience mirrors mine and I'd consider yourself as owning that Challenger. Mine has taken more than 8 weeks but is on the train to me now. Good luck!

Thanks, I'm more confident than I was yesterday to be sure. Yes they have my Loot, which might be enough to keep me hostage. But my happiness is priceless as are my dreams. The fact that My Scat has 30K+ on her is the only reason im making the move to a newer car. And quite frankly if they stopped making Challengers today, a Pro charger, headers and a tune would be very respectable and might even save my marriage

So you received you vin after a deposit, did you get a build sheet, I'm not sure how to check my Vin to see if the car was ordered correctly. Tell me more if you would how to track it. What should I ask my salesman for as far as documentation to bemore informed..

Thanks for everyone's replies
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:00 AM

What kind of discount are you guys getting on the Hellcats by ordering one?

Here around the NC area quite a few are sitting on dealers lots and can be picked up up to 7k of sticker price and 6k for the Redeyes.

From what I heard that is the reason the factory is closing for a couple of weeks, too many dodge Challengers sitting in dealer lots.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:02 AM

Your sales person can get you a print out of how they ordered it, it's called the priced order confirmation (POC). It will also have the VIN on it and the current build status.

I've found the chat option at the Dodge website is the quickest way to get updates.

Last edited by TNSANE; 04-03-2019 at 07:05 AM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs1inc View Post
What kind of discount are you guys getting on the Hellcats by ordering one?

Here around the NC area quite a few are sitting on dealers lots and can be picked up up to 7k of sticker price and 6k for the Redeyes.

From what I heard that is the reason the factory is closing for a couple of weeks, too many dodge Challengers sitting in dealer lots.
Honestly I'm cheating a bit, I ordered a Scat Pack. Price wise it was the same as getting one off the lot, though it took some negotiating.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
Maybe the car arrives in 6 to 8 weeks. I'm not current on how long it takes to build a car to a customer's specifications and deliver a car to a customer.
I wouldn't count on 6 to 8 weeks. That's standard dealer talk.

Our second attempt took a mere 50 days from being ordered to delivered to the dealer, being "helped through the system" by inside sources. In comparison, the first one took four months and eight days to get to the dealer after it was built.

Hopefully this one will be quick, but six weeks is unrealistic even if the plant was open.

2018 Challenger
2019 Challenger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode