should i get a gt or rt challenger? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
should i get a gt or rt challenger?

i’m 21 with no muscle car experience. i’ve always admired the challenger and have been wanting one for a very long time now. i’m going to go look at cars this weekend to hopefully purchase mine. i know none of these cars are fuel efficient but v6 v v8 which one is better? which one do you guys recommend? wtf is the difference??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:41 PM

RT = 5.7L Hemi with 375hp and rear wheel drive
GT = 3.6L V6 with 305hp and all wheel drive

The RT is more of a true muscle car, V8, loud exhaust, rear wheel drive, pretty fast. The GT is also a great car, but has a little less power and much quieter exhaust. But it's also AWD which is nice if you need that.

IMO, I'd go with the RT unless you really need the AWD. They're both great cars, but it's hard to be the rumble of the Hemi V8.

Carl
11.44 @ 120.71mph w/ 1.63 60ft / -445ft DA
Dragstrip videos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,886 Posts
Garage
Neither engine is "better." It all depends what you want. Both the 3.6 V6 and 5.7 V8 engines are excellent. The 3.6 will give you better gas mileage while still providing good performance. However, if you want something faster with more torque, get the 5.7 Hemi.

The GT model has an all-wheel drive option and is ideal for owners who live in cold weather areas that get a lot of snow. However, you will get slightly less gas mileage than the SXT(see below).

The best way to decide what fits you is to test drive Challengers with both engines.

Here are the mileage and performance numbers for the SXT, GT and R/T.

SXT (3.6L)- 305 hp.

Mileage- 23 mpg. combined; 19 City/30 Hwy.
Performance- 0-60 mph= 6.3 sec.; 1/4 mile= 14.8 [email protected] mph

GT (3.6L)- 305 hp.

Mileage- 21 mpg. combined; 18 City/27 Hwy.
Performance- 0-60 mph= 6.3 sec.; 1/4 mile= 14.8 [email protected] mph

R/T (5.7L)- 375 hp.

Mileage- 19 mpg. combined; 16 City/25 Hwy.
Performance- 0-60 mph= 5.1 sec.; 1/4 mile= 13.7 [email protected] mph

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:15 PM

I'll note that if you're looking at new cars the 019 GT also comes in 2wd as opposed to earlier years which were AWD only.

the manual 5.7 requires premium fuel unless that has changed.

The SXT/GT is not a muscle car in the usual sense. It's a good looking daily driver that you can have a lot of fun with. For model year 019 the SXT is the basic daily driver, last I looked there are no performance enhancements offered. The GT is the performance oriented version of the 3.6. Beyond the badge and new hood any prior year 15-18 SXT is going to do the same thing performance wise. The GT comes standard with the super track pack which was an option in prior years.

Regardless of SXT/GT/RT I wouldn't go any earlier than a 2015 version simply because of the new 8 speed automatic. I have a 013 SXT+ and I love it but I've test driven the 15 and up cars and the automatic transmission makes a world of difference.

There are LOTS of these cars available used and new so please research carefully and know what's available and what you really want / need before you buy. Lots of cases of buyers remorse in these pages. At age 21 you better check your insurance rates before you buy anything.

2010 R/T 6spd Stone White - sold.
2013 Jazz Blue SXT Plus W/ Super Sport Group
72 Charger Rallye 440/4spd since 1994
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:33 PM

there is kinda a rule for certain lil luxury/life purchases...
like sail boats, RV's, planes, generally get one larger than you think you want.
like woodsplitters, saws, tow vehicles, get one with more power than you think you need.
like motorcycles, houses, camping tents, buy the one you will grow into, not the one you will grow out of.

The R/T is going to get you a seat at the entry level muscle car table.
The GT's & SXTs are very nice, for a V6, they are more than capable, but they are not viewed nor perform the same as a 375hp rear wheel drive car with a ton of aftermarket support, simply because they are not targeted to the same buyer.
What I have noticed is, each trim level attracts a certain type of buyer. Its not a bad thing, I love all challengers, but when you see guys trading in 1 trim model for the next trim level up, its a sign they didnt stop and get/wait to afford the trim level/options/model they really wanted in the beginning.

Having said this..if your desire is a muscle/perf car, than buy the most you can affoard, be that an R/T, scat pack, a fully loaded SRT, or what have you. other than payment cringe, Ive never heard a car owner, complaining his/her car had too many nice, warm & fuzzy options to enjoy.
If its a commuter with tons of style, lower insurance rates (< at your age , this maybe the biggest factor in your buying decision), better safety, less prone to tickets, theft, etc.. the SXT or GT line up is a sure win.
Good luck with whatever path you take.

2015 Mods:
Hellcat Intake w/ AEM hi-flow filter.
GenPartsCo-USA D.I.P.S. air catcher screens.
Axis Model II's.
Firestone Indy 275/40/20
Rolling Thunder Reso delete.
Exteremevinyls side marker tints.
GPC Trunk Pull Handle.
Spare/Jack/Foam Delete.
GPC Phantoms.
Mopar O.E. Black Fuel Door.
Hellcat OE. ABS Cover.
Rear Seat Delete.
2014 Dodge Viper Seats.
Custom Fire Extinguisher & Mount.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
I agree with hemi4us. I sold bass boats as a manufacturer's rep for 17 years. I worked more boat shows with my dealers than I care to remember. In high performance bass boats, the 2 important qualities are speed and handling. In those 17 years I NEVER heard a customer comment they had purchased their boat with the largest legal outboard and wished they hadn't gotten such a large engine. But, I couldn't begin to count the number of folks I talked with that complained they had bought a smaller engine (say a 150 hp instead of a 200 hp), now wished they had got the max but the trade-in hit was now too much for their wallet.

I bought my '13 R/T in April, 2017, used because I wanted to own my car and not have it own me. Both the year and the engine choice were strictly because of financial considerations. I could have gone with a new 2017 SRT; but, I didn't want to damage our budget that badly. You simply need to set your priorities (intended use/cost/local climate) to determine what you can/will buy. Don't allow anyone else to tell you what you should, or shouldn't, do other than to suggest you use sound financial judgment.

Good luck with the test drives.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Live each day like it's your last 'cause one day you'll be right.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Ban low performance drivers - not high performance cars!

2013 R/T Classic in Jazz Blue with MOPAR CAI,
MOPAR Strut Tower Brace w/Billet Strut Cap Covers,
and BT catch can.
61,477 miles so far and more to come.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:55 PM

You may also want to look into insurance cost differences. Being a young person, insurance may be a lot more for a V8 vehcile vs a V6 vehicle. Apparently, from what I've learned on this forum, it's not much of a difference for older folks with clean driving records, but for example, there is a young guy on YouTube (I think he was 17) that went from a V6 Challenger to a Hellcat - and his insurance went from $250 per month to $800 per month - JUST FOR INSURANCE! Granted, that is a 700hp Hellcat V8, but still - I would check insurance costs before making a decision either way. A V8 Challenger will do you no good if you can't afford to insure it. :-)

I personally went for a GT since I wanted the AWD capability. A 305hp V6 is plenty for me and my driving habits (my other car is also a 300hp V6) - actually, 300hp is more than enough for me. I don't ever race in my cars or fly around - it's a daily driver - and a very comfortable one at that. I just like the styling of the Challenger - and the AWD functionality.

But like has been mentioned above, only YOU can decide which is best for you and your situation. Let us know which way you go!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:12 PM

I bought my first camaro when I was in my mid 20’s and was just happy to get the car. I loved it for 4 years but I was jealous of everyone with the fancy hoods, V8 exhaust sound and everything else. I made another mistake and bought a 2017 V6 and lost my butt getting my 2019 scat but it’s worth it. I guess what I’m saying is that if you truly love muscle cars, you’re going to want the V8 someday. Don’t fool yourself, everyone with the V6 is happy and wants to make the best of it but 99% of the time they’re looking for ways to improve the sound and performance. Just my 2 cents. If you get the V8 you won’t have anything to regret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,688 Times in 2,792 Posts
Garage
Well, both the SXT and GT can be had in RWD (default), or AWD (Option) now, so a GT isn't necessarily AWD

A Guy

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Well, both the SXT and GT can be had in RWD (default), or AWD (Option) now, so a GT isn't necessarily AWD

A Guy
Not so sure why Dodge did that. I mean the GT and SXT are so close to each other now. In my opinion, they should have just dropped the GT completely since you can now get AWD on the SXT. Having a AWD and a RWD GT is just going to cause confusion. Before - it was easy - GT was AWD and SXT was RWD. Made sense to have two separate models because of that.

Couldn't a SXT and a GT now be the exact same car since they can both be either RWD or AWD? What really makes them different now? Just "standard" options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode