Dodge Challenger Forum banner

slack in getrag differential

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  zzflattop 
#1 ·
My 2010 Challenger has a good amount of slack in the differential, it seems to have gotten worse over the last 5000 miles since the engine swap.
When it's in neutral I can turn the driveshaft about 1-2" in either direction.
In 1st or 2nd it has a tendency to lurch from the slack being taken up when decelerating.
Anyone out there checked the backlash on one of these diffs?
I don't think it has a traditional cover, looks like it comes apart in the middle?
Is there a upgrade for the 3.92 getrag other than something like a Furd 9" conversion kit?

thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Getrags have a lot of backlash. Most times it’s normal. The famous getrag clunk accelerating or de accelerating.
Mine does the same and I’ve raced on it for many seasons.
The case does open from the side.

The ford 9” conversion, while virtually indestructible, starts around 7k so big $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: chizzle1
#5 ·
It's hard to hear faint noises over the stroker, but the rear diff whine came back a while ago.
No vibrations tho.
Usually I would get lateral movement at the yoke and the seal would start leaking when the pinion bearing was shot.

It's get a little over 70k miles.
I replaced the puck bushing on the front of the diff cradle, that helped with the 'knock' sound I was getting between shifts.
This is definitely slack from the diff, I held both end of the driveshaft and there is virtually none in the carrier bearing.
No auto, it's the stock 6M that came in the car (see signature).

I am debating on having it rebuilt or purchasing a new one, depending on prices.

#4 ·
1-2 inches you need a garbage can

Most common issue and I can send you some is the opinion bearings go out for a lot of junk ones lol
If the would have changed the mounting locations in the rear end it would have held up better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
Here's what I'd go with - this was designed for the LC series to retain the IRS - but the center section is a Dana 60

https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemblies/dodge-challenger-lc-lx-pro-60-irs.html

There's an option to get the Truetrac (LSD) version, and they have ration options from 3.54:1 to 7.17:1

you spend some $$$$, but its likely you'd ever have to replace the diff. And get rid of the fragile Getrag 226

PS: if the '15+ hadn't gone with a new differential supplier that was stronger than the crappy Getrag, I would kept the '09 R/T and have gone this route

...even though I had LT powertrain warranty on that '09 [along with LT bumper to bumper warranty (FCA) as well]

#9 ·
thanks, but that is out of my price range. I may stay away from the track until I can afford to upgrade.
If I can get 70k between diff rebuilds I'll live with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.