Sxt, r/t, srt??? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Sxt, r/t, srt???

Dumb question, but what does SXT stand for?
What does R/T stand for?
What does SRT stand for?

I love my daily driver Challenger, but for the life of me what do these acronyms stand for? I know I'm old and this is only my 2nd Mopar. Thanks ahead of time for helping my old brain.

2018 SXT Plus Granite Crystal Metallic
2017 Maverick XMR 1000R
2015 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4 Aisin
2014 Palomino Columbia 43' TH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Yapster View Post
What does RT stand for?
What does SRT stand for?
I love my daily driver Challenger, but for the life of me what do these acronyms stand for? I know I'm old and this is only my 2nd Mopar. Thanks ahead of time for helping my old brain.
SRT - street racing technology
RT - road & track
SXT - standard extra as opposed to the acronym of SE which means standard edition - not sure what the T stands for

2015 Scatpack 392 M6
Black/black
Stainless Works LT Headers
High flow cats
Resonator delete
274 Comp Cam with vvt limiter
Arrington 84 mm throttle body
Barton short throw shifter
Unlocked PCM
Diablo Sport Tuner
HHP Tune
Mopar CAI
Mopar front/rear strut tower braces
Speedlogix SS eliminator
Black lug nuts with Hellcat center caps
Mopar Performance Lowering Springs
Hellcat ram air intake
Hellcat red start button
275 Nittos
Heated/Ventilated seats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevetown View Post
Quote:
What does RT stand for?
What does SRT stand for?
RT - road & track
SXT - standard extra as opposed to the acronym of SE which means standard edition - not sure what the T stands for
Thanks man that makes my life easier. Once i retire and not driving 100 plus miles every day i want an SRT to have fun with at least that's my goal. Thanks again. Love my Challenger it is a fun commute everyday in luxury sport fashion for me. These heated/cooled SuedeAlcadura seats are nice on an old guy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,886 Posts
Garage
Quote:
What does RT stand for?
What does SRT stand for?
SXT= Standard Extra
R/T= Road & Track
SRT= Street and Racing Technology

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks man that makes my life easier. Once i retire and not driving 100 plus miles every day i want an SRT to have fun with at least that's my goal. Thanks again. Love my Challenger it is a fun commute everyday in luxury sport fashion for me. These heated/cooled SuedeAlcadura seats are nice on an old guy!
No problem. Enjoy they beast!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't wait until retirement to get the SRT. Get it now. You sound like a friend of mine who says that he's going to buy a Mustang when he retires in the next 11 years. Yeah right. Like his wife will let him buy a Mustang. She's the one wearing the pants in the house. Not my friend.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatpacksam View Post
Quote:

I wouldn't wait until retirement to get the SRT. Get it now. You sound like a friend of mine who says that he's going to buy a Mustang when he retires in the next 11 years. Yeah right. Like his wife will let him buy a Mustang. She's the one wearing the pants in the house. Not my friend.
I only have about 3 yrs before i retire and maybe sooner. I'm hoping the rumor of a 426 will come. If it does it will be right on time.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,886 Posts
Garage
Since you will be buying an SRT, I thought that you might like to read about its history.

Performance vehicles are a Chrysler tradition. In the 1950s, an elite team of Chrysler engineers set out to extract extreme horsepower from existing engines. The team created new manifolds featuring long-tube intake runners. The innovative design helped engines ingest more air, translating into improved performance. The new induction system was called “Ramcharger,” and the team behind the technology adopted that name. The Ramchargers’ new engine produced enormous amounts of power, leading to success on the drag strip during the 1960s and 1970s.

Fast forward to the 1989 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, where Dodge amazed crowds with its sleek Viper concept. The project, initiated by then-company president Bob Lutz and Carroll Shelby, was described as the successor to the AC Cobra. Planned by Tom Gale (father of Jeff Gale, the lead exterior designer of the 2008 Challenger SRT), its simplistic yet muscular shape paired with a killer 8.0-liter V-10, thrust the Viper into the spotlight. People raved about the Viper and it was approved for production a few weeks later. With the dawn of the V-10 powered supercar, emerged a group of devoted engineers. Team Viper worked to hone the supercar’s performance for street and racing. This would lead to endurance race victories in the late 1990s.

Meanwhile, a separate, dedicated team, “Team Prowler,” completed work on the 1993 Plymouth Prowler concept car. When the first Prowler rolled off the assembly line, four years later, Chrysler integrated the two specialty groups in a single entity- Special Vehicle Engineering. At last, Chrysler’s elite teams were working together under a single roof to create eye-catching niche vehicles.

In 2002, Chrysler made an announcement that would forever change the enthusiast landscape. Lead engineer, John Fernandez and Viper guru, Herb Helbig, took to the auto stage to announce the creation of Performance Vehicle Operations (PVO). The newly formed group leveraged existing resources to improve Chrysler’s high performance focus. PVO celebrated by unveiling the Viper-powered Dodge Ram SRT10, flanked by the Dodge Neon SRT4 and Viper SRT10.

Since all PVO vehicles wore the SRT badge, the PVO development team was renamed SRT in 2004. All PVO creations wore the Street and Racing Technology badge (see photos, below).

In 2012 Chrysler implemented a plan to turn SRT into a separate brand under the Chrysler Group umbrella. During the 2013 and 2014 model years, the Dodge Viper was sold under the model name SRT Viper. This proved unsuccessful and, in May 2014, the SRT brand was re-consolidated under Dodge, with former SRT CEO Ralph Gilles continuing as senior vice president of product design and also as the CEO and president of Motorsports.

Since 2004, many Chrysler performance models have worn the SRT badge. They include the Chrysler 300 (SRT8), Charger (SRT8), Challenger (SRT8), Caliber (SRT6), Neon (SRT4), Grand Cherokee (SRT8) and Viper (SRT10). As the years have past, the horsepower has grown immensely, from 425 hp. with the 6.1 Hemi., to 485 hp. with the 392, to 707 hp. with the SC 6.2 Hellcat, to 797 hp. with the SC 6.2 Hellcat Redeye and finally to 808 hp. with the SC 6.2 Demon. What an accomplishment for the SRT team!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,583 Times in 866 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevetown View Post
RT - road & track

"SE" actually meant Special Edition.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:

What does R/T stand for?

What does SRT stand for?

SXT Good gas mileage

RT okay mileage but more hp

SRT more HP mileage doesn't matter

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to DOM71 For This Useful Post:
Bob Brown (04-08-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode