Syncromesh and TR6060 1st-2nd Grind - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Syncromesh and TR6060 1st-2nd Grind

I was out researching the TR6060 and ran across the links below. You will probably want to skip most of the first Video, he drags things out just a little but he does give reference to a solid solution to the 1-2 grind. The second is going through how the synchromesh synchros work. You'll see why the Synchromesh Sycnchros in the TR6060 need fluids with the breakaway properties of ATF due to the materials used on the bulk ring of the synchros. Finally the third link is the damage that occurs from grinding the gears.

The Following User Says Thank You to McCloud For This Useful Post:
ChallyTatum (05-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

This subject will be beaten to death by all owners of vehicles with Tremec transmission that are unfortunate enough to have transmissions that fall into the sloppy tolerance group. The reality is, Tremec just has a wider acceptable tolerance standard than other manufactures.

Most all issues are with the initial recommended fill of approved lubricant anyhow!

Tremec now offers a new improved GL4 spec lubricant. Think they are trying to cure the sloppy tolerance issue as well.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 05-10-2019 at 04:42 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:41 PM

My 2016 R/T did the 1-2 grind only when first shifted. Drive it around town and by the 3rd or 4th 1-2 shift it was almost gone, but you could still feel it somewhat. I put in Red Line C+ATF per Dave at Red Line. It took maybe 5 miles'ish and I thought I had a different transmission. Zero gear grinding, nibbling, zip...nothing. Within 20 miles the whole transmission shifted smoother, more confidently going into each gear. Even reverse at first start would go into gear easier. Best thing I ever did to a car as far as fixing something.
I called Tremec and a honest tech told me that these transmissions where developed with Dexron III. He said the different manufacture's used their own trans fluids to keep it simple, but that the Dexron III has the correct friction characteristics for the synchronizers to work properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhp View Post
My 2016 R/T did the 1-2 grind only when first shifted. Drive it around town and by the 3rd or 4th 1-2 shift it was almost gone, but you could still feel it somewhat. I put in Red Line C+ATF per Dave at Red Line. It took maybe 5 miles'ish and I thought I had a different transmission. Zero gear grinding, nibbling, zip...nothing. Within 20 miles the whole transmission shifted smoother, more confidently going into each gear. Even reverse at first start would go into gear easier. Best thing I ever did to a car as far as fixing something.
I called Tremec and a honest tech told me that these transmissions where developed with Dexron III. He said the different manufacture's used their own trans fluids to keep it simple, but that the Dexron III has the correct friction characteristics for the synchronizers to work properly.
I agree with using the coreect fluid. I alxo checked with with Tremec on the fluid and got the same respose. I decided to switch to Amsoil Synchromesh and it corrected the grinding issue. I do think however replacing/upgrading the synchro will imrpove the shifting overall.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited by McCloud; 05-11-2019 at 04:46 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloud View Post
I do think however replacing/upgrading the synchro will imrpove the shifting overall.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I agree, down the road when I replace the clutch I will do the syncro upgrade.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:57 AM

my 18 1-2 has been nibbly since day 1. Never got any worse or better. I changed out the fluid with OEM at 30k miles and its only maybe half as bad as it was. Wondering if it came underfilled like the Jeep JKs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode