Is it true that the shaker package option is non-functional? - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am 100% convinced the shaker hood on the Challengers that have it looks insanely cool. I am far less convinced it has any measurable effect - positive or negative - on performance. I look at it the same way as the "functional" hood scoop on my T/A 392. It's a cool conversation piece to show off to others when the hood is open - explaining how air is routed from the hood scoop and light ring hole to the CAI. But I am relatively sure if I covered those air intakes with tape and ran at the strip, my times would be unaffected. So technically these things might be "functional", but in reality they are pointless other than looking cool. I don't say that as a criticism. Looking cool is a large part of why we drive these awesome cars!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGRAY View Post
For $2,200 option that's a lot for something fake and with a hole in the hood.

Nobody is paying $2,200 for the (non existent) performance gains of the shaker hood. They are paying $2,200 for the cool appearance. The shaker hood option sets those challengers apart visually from the rest. No different than people who pay thousands for a carbon fiber spoiler. Do you really think those people are THAT concerned with a few ounces of weight savings?
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:12 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_S View Post
I am 100% convinced the shaker hood on the Challengers that have it looks insanely cool. I am far less convinced it has any measurable effect - positive or negative - on performance. I look at it the same way as the "functional" hood scoop on my T/A 392. It's a cool conversation piece to show off to others when the hood is open - explaining how air is routed from the hood scoop and light ring hole to the CAI. But I am relatively sure if I covered those air intakes with tape and ran at the strip, my times would be unaffected. So technically these things might be "functional", but in reality they are pointless other than looking cool. I don't say that as a criticism. Looking cool is a large part of why we drive these awesome cars!
I believe in large part is has to do with the fact that the car is, at all times, feeding air in through the bottom grille.

So even though it is functional, the larger intake of air from the bottom is keeping the shaker from actually pushing any quantifiable amount of air into it and I imagine with the headlight intake open, this effect is even more significant.

Conversely, like @Sublime69 mentioned, the position of the shaker on the hood isn't creating enough air pressure compared to the bottom grille intake, so if you covered the bottom one, the shaker might not be able to feed the engine enough air...

Aerodynamics are a mess on this car, lol.

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
So what happens if you purchase a Challenger Scat Pack 392 and don't get the wide body option (Hellcat hood) or the shaker option, which hood comes with Scat Pack?
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
So what happens if you purchase a Challenger Scat Pack 392 and don't get the wide body option (Hellcat hood) or the shaker option, which hood comes with Scat Pack?

This one.

https://www.hallchryslerjeep.net/new...6595c23b92.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Stitches1974 For This Useful Post:
STINGRAY (04-24-2019)
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches1974 View Post
tHAT looks like the Hellcat hood that comes on Scat Pack 392 Challenger with the wide body option. ?? But this Challenger is not a wide body.

Last edited by STINGRAY; 04-24-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
tHAT looks like the Hellcat hood that comes on Scat Pack 392 Challenger with the wide body option. ?? But this Challenger is not a wide body.
Probably because it comes standard on both the standard and wide body...?
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by praiseV8 View Post
Probably because it comes standard on both the standard and wide body...?
all Scat Pack models (except for T/A 392 and 392 Shaker) come with the '15 - '18 style Hellcat hood with the center scoop and dual extractor vents.

The wide body version uses the Hellcat nose / fascia and the standard body uses the regular nose / fascia.

The wide body was originally developed around the Demon and then later released for the Hellcat models.
-the fender flares and front splitter are unique to the wide body, and the other splitters won't fit up with the front wheel flares

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
The Following User Says Thank You to Hal H For This Useful Post:
STINGRAY (04-25-2019)
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
all Scat Pack models (except for T/A 392 and 392 Shaker) come with the '15 - '18 style Hellcat hood with the center scoop and dual extractor vents.

The wide body version uses the Hellcat nose / fascia and the standard body uses the regular nose / fascia.

The wide body was originally developed around the Demon and then later released for the Hellcat models.
-the fender flares and front splitter are unique to the wide body, and the other splitters won't fit up with the front wheel flares

I'm aware, he was asking about the hoods though.

Of which I still don't understand why hoods aren't an option in the build sheet across most trims.
post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post

That's great then that Hellcat hood is functional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode