Wanna buy 2019 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Wanna buy 2019

So I got into a challenger as a rental while my car was being worked on. And I really liked it. It was a V6, which was too slow for how much it weighed. So i went to a dealer and drove an RT. It was fun. I’m looking for everyone perspective and opinion. Do’s and dont’s. Are there any major recalls or serious problems. (Mustang EB’s have the eco boom and the 5.0 have the bbq tick). I’m basically asking if there are things like that.

Secondly, the only real dislike I have of the challenger is how freakin heavy the car is. 4200 is a lot. And 700 more lbs than my current car. Do you guys notice the weight? Does it if anyone? Any and all input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Do yourself a favor and test drive a Scat Pack or an RT with the Super Track pak option. It has a beefier suspension and handles the weight much better.

I own a Scat Pack and can tell you that it handles the weight well. The car is very predictable while being comfortable. It's all perspective though. If your daily driver has been a mustang then it won't feel as nimble.

I have not had any major issues with mine. Every once in a while I get the hemi lifter tick but it's not bad at all. I am hesitant to consider it an issue.

2015 Scat Pack
8-speed auto, black on black, SP appearance group, leather, sound group II, Mopar stage 1 performance springs, DFS wickerbill, Luxe reflector tint, Tredwear tire letters
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:36 AM

Thanked 3,704 Times in 2,786 Posts
All 2019 R/T's now have Super Track Pack as standard equipment.

And the 5.7L weighs closer to 4,000 lbs and handles it fine, go drive a 5.7L with that active exhaust, you'll be hooked!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2016 SRT 392 - Billet Silver, Black Stripes, A8, Tech Group ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:52 AM

Redeye or Hellcat. You won't notice the weight with over 700HP.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:08 PM

Garage
Just bought a new 2019 R/T. Nice motor. Makes lots of torque down low. It's pretty quick but not like the higher models. It is a big, heavy car but it's pretty agile and pulls nice. I have the shipping data with my paperwork. Just over 4,000 pounds. Nice car that suits our purposes perfectly. I did not need another stupid fast car. I already have others. This one is for my wife and it's our travel car. Very comfortable. I am extremely impressed with the build quality.

It all depends on what you want in the car. If you need stupid fast, get a hellcat or Demon, even the 392 Hemi. This car is plenty satisfying for our intended purpose.
The Following User Says Thank You to capevettes For This Useful Post:
Slidd (04-19-2019)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:31 PM

Many have already espoused the pros of the 5.7 RT, especially the 2019 models. I haven't driven one, I've only driven a 2015 Scat Pack, and I thought it handled its weight very well. I was coming from driving a 1986 Ramcharger and a 2001 Durango, so my standards were not all that high. Perhaps if I had driven a Mustang or Camaro beforehand it would have felt less nimble.

I guarantee you either the 5.7 or 6.4 Hemi are more reliable than the Chevy DI LT1 or the 2018-2019 DI 5.0 Coyote (the '15-'17 Coyotes are fairly reliable though, and can handle 800 horsepower on a stock block). Hard to beat the simple reliability of a single cam pushrod V8 with SMPI fuel injection. Only problem with the Hemis is they can't handle all that much boost in stock form, but that doesn't sound like an issue to you.

The ancillary systems of the Challenger are also more reliable than the Camaro or Mustang. You get what you pay for. Not to mention UConnect is vastly superior to SYNC 3 and Chevy MyLink. I think the interior of the Challenger is very comfortable, although that's interchangeable with the Mustang's comfort level to me. I hate how cramped the Camaro feels and how little visibility you have. You can also actually fit people in the back of your Challenger. It's got the old school looks to boot too.

Going back to handling, a lot of people underestimate the potential of the 2015+ LA platform. It may be based on old Mercedes tech, but throw on a set of coilovers, decent (wider) tires, subframe connectors, thicker sway bars, and maybe strut tower braces, and you've got yourself quite a capable handler. If you want to go even farther, there are adjustable control arms and delrin or polyurethane bushings that'll tighten up everything even more. And if you have a model with adaptive dampening suspension, that's even better.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I’m not concerned with the handling of the weight in terms of cornering. I don’t care for auto X type stuff. I’m more of a drag race straight line person. Even though I’ll never take my car to a track. Stock a 2019 RT weigh 4192lbs. My ecoboost weight 3550(roughly, in rounding the nearest 100 cause I’m not 100% sure). I’m gonna go see what they will give me for my PP2 eco with the Cobb tuner in it today. If they give me what I want for the stang or come real close I’ll be coming home in a 19RT. I love how much you get, the uconnect, the track pack, it’s a good bargain for what ya get.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:12 AM

Garage
Good choice AttackHelicopter. You will love it. Exhaust sounds great.

FYI: I have in my hand the shipping weight for my 2019 R/T: 4064 pounds. They put them on the scales.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackHelicopter View Post
I’m not concerned with the handling of the weight in terms of cornering. I don’t care for auto X type stuff. I’m more of a drag race straight line person. Even though I’ll never take my car to a track. Stock a 2019 RT weigh 4192lbs. My ecoboost weight 3550(roughly, in rounding the nearest 100 cause I’m not 100% sure). I’m gonna go see what they will give me for my PP2 eco with the Cobb tuner in it today. If they give me what I want for the stang or come real close I’ll be coming home in a 19RT. I love how much you get, the uconnect, the track pack, it’s a good bargain for what ya get.
I gotcha. In that case, you may be interested in upgraded rear control arms and trailing arms to eliminate wheel hop. And you should still lower the car, helps it sit back on its rear better in launches and makes it a tiny bit more aerodynamic
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:18 AM

Thanked 3,704 Times in 2,786 Posts
Agree on the weight, last FCA shipping order I saw for an R/T showed the weight at 4,082 lbs. That 4,200 lb figure is more like Scat Pack weight.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode