Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums (https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/)
-   General Challenger Discussion (https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   Well, this happened yesterday. (https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/well-happened-yesterday-670701/)

falioto 05-15-2019 11:11 PM

Well, this happened yesterday.

2 Attachment(s)
Got in my first accident ever at 29, been driving for 12 years. Completely my fault, I saw a fire truck about three blocks away, and thought the guy in front of me was on board with going on the green light, since it was going to be awhile until the fire truck even got to us. I was looking to the right and moving forward, and didn’t realize he decided to stop and wait. Yeah, never good. Live and learn.

After I found out the other party was okay, I went into instant depression about my car... insurance sent me to Seidners, they sent me an estimate for $5,200. Luckily my deductible is $500.

A Guy 05-15-2019 11:27 PM

:(

A Guy

TwoHemi's 05-16-2019 01:30 AM

😬 ouch...don't think that'll buff out. Sorry bro.

jtrosky 05-16-2019 04:08 AM

Sucks, doesn't it? I just went through the same thing with my 2018 GT (my first at-fault accident as well and I'm 47). Mine had about $10k in damages (definitely more damage than yours).

They'll be able to fix yours up like new in no time - don't stress over it. Just watch to see if they use OEM parts or not - a lot of insurance companies will try to tell the shop to use aftermarket. I found out that a new OEM headlight alone costs $907! It's crazy how expensive it is to repair these cars - and how easily they break apart.

Good luck - let us know how it goes!

MiHiHemi 05-16-2019 10:16 AM

Remember, you can go to any body shop you prefer. I know nothing about Seidners but if you like a different shop, you're entitled to change and not be stuck with where you insurance company wants you to go. That's assuming there is no fine print in your contract.

mjb4450 05-16-2019 12:02 PM

Well at least it's not extensive damage. After having supervised a large dealership Body shop for five years my tip for you is to pull the shop's estimator aside and insist in a nice way that he assign your job to their best painter and best body man. There is an enormous competence range in any given shop and the pay system encourages short cuts. Also do some research and if you find a better shop before they start you can move it. And if they say it will take five days.........it won't. Prepare for much longer then they say.

Your comment about looking away reminded me of my at fault crash back in 1977 on I-17 in Phoenix. I'm in a 1976 Dodge Aspen. Vehicle in front is a 1968 Charger driven by an off duty cop in uniform which made this even more embarrassing as people drove by laughing. There had been news reports of people throwing things off overpasses. As I approached an overpass, a kid was hanging over the railing of it so I looked up as I went under the overpass to make sure he wasn't dropping anything. When I looked back down, all the brake lights in the world were illuminated except mine, and I ran into the Charger, (AKA Tank). Aspen....front end accordioned up to the doors. Charger (AKA Tank) two dimples in the rear valance panel.

MEKrunner 05-16-2019 01:35 PM

Sorry about this accident. $5200 to replace basically plastic is where we are at now. It's crazy.

jtrosky 05-17-2019 07:32 AM

I will say this - after getting my car back from a shop with great reviews, all of the certifications (iCar Gold, ASE, etc), there were still quite a few issues with their work.

Make sure you do a *very good* "inspection" of the car when you get it back! Look at the last few posts in my "Crash" thread to see some of the sloppy work done on my car. Granted I may be more "picky" than some, but I think all of us here are pretty "picky" about their cars...

https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...ml#post8472105

falioto 05-17-2019 05:30 PM

Thanks all. All the parts listed in the invoice for replacement have Mopar parts numbers which looks good. I’ll be sure to do a VERY THOROUGH inspection upon arrival. I’m not taking it home unless it’s the way it was left there.

Tshane72 05-17-2019 07:38 PM

So sorry man...I have been lucky and have not been in any fender benders for well over 25 years now. post a pic or two when you get her back! Good luck!