What are the disadvantages/advantages to the Wide Body Option? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
General Challenger Discussion This section contains general discussion about the Dodge Challenger. If it does not fit into a more specific area, it probably belongs in here. (Dodge Challenger General Discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
What are the disadvantages/advantages to the Wide Body Option?

From the 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body Package to the Hellcat to the Redeye Challenger? i.e. kicking up debris or rocks that does minor damage to body work?

Advantages?
Keeps car planted to the ground.
Gets power better to the ground so rear end tends to fish tail less/over steer?
Makes for a safer riding and more comfortable riding vehicle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:35 PM

The wide body is slightly heavier and has significantly more rotating mass. Supposedly the R/T Scat Pack is slightly slower than a regular Scat Pack.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkekTek View Post
The wide body is slightly heavier and has significantly more rotating mass. Supposedly the R/T Scat Pack is slightly slower than a regular Scat Pack.
Any difference would be fairly negligible, as the weight difference is only about 75 pounds. Also, if you consider the traction and center of gravity benefits of the widebody, it’s a no brainer. It is significantly faster in the corners. Recent reports say the widebody Scat Pack is as fast through the road course as the non widebody Hellcat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobiuscorpus For This Useful Post:
STINGRAY (04-20-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGRAY View Post
From the 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body Package to the Hellcat to the Redeye Challenger? i.e. kicking up debris or rocks that does minor damage to body work?

Advantages?
Keeps car planted to the ground.
Gets power better to the ground so rear end tends to fish tail less/over steer?
Makes for a safer riding and more comfortable riding vehicle?

To me the wide body makes a very wide car even wider. That I think this is why when I was offered a WB Hellcat I declined and picked the standard width car. I kind of feel I made the right call. ('course, I would say that wouldn't I?)

Over a year later and with over 12K miles of experience now with my Hellcat I know it is already a pretty tight fit in, well, tight spaces, of which there are a lot, for example in parking lot drives/lanes, parking spaces, etc. In a lot of areas car lots/lanes/drives and spaces are designed for smaller cars. I'd hate to think what the WB would be like in these areas.

There is I guess some advantage/benefit to the wider tires the WB comes with. The regular Hellcat is under tired.

Still, not sure how much safer the wide body is. One could argue a near miss with a regular width car would turn into contact with the wider car thus the wider car has slightly worse odds when it comes to contact/collisions.

As for the tire issue, I know my Hellcat's limits and how these are affected by its tires so I don't exceed the grip offered by the tires, thus I don't feel unsafe in my Hellcat though of course I have to behave myself.

But this is true of any car: Even a much lower powered car can injure or even kill if one doesn't respect what 3000lbs+ of car can do if not driven in a safe and responsible manner.

The standard tires don't really impact how quickly the car can get moving. Sure, if one is measuring in hundredths of a second the wider tires almost certainly shave time off any part of an acceleration that could be affected by tire traction, but with my car even maintaining very little to zero rear tire spin the car still accelerates like a lightning bolt. For any thing other than I guess the track any extra acceleration offered by the WB wider tires would be like gilding the lily or painting gold.

The WB is substantially more expensive though in my case that didn't really factor into the decision. Mainly I recall thinking how wide the WB was.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockster For This Useful Post:
Jimmy N. (04-17-2019)
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:28 PM

I wouldn't necessarily mind the potential extra traction, mainly for cornering, that the Wide Body's tires could offer, but there are two things that makes me not want them at all.

For one, and most would disagree with me here, I don't like the look of four "dually fenders" tacked onto an otherwise sleek looking body design.

Looks aside, a Wide Body would be nowhere near as stealth as a debadged regular body. Yes, I prefer it if people think that my Hellcat is an SXT. Keeping a low profile can have many advantages.

2018 Challenger
2019 Challenger
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:03 PM

even narrow hellcat vs wide body hellcat, there is a noted improvement in performance, both straight line and in the twistys with the widebody package. i think the look is either love it or hate it. if you are more of a traditionalist/retro guy the wide body probably isnt going to do it for ya...one drive in one however may change your mind. they are noticably different in many aspects. id love to see the actual data that shows a wide body scat is slower than narrow scatpack, thats the very opposite of official track times released by dodge, at least in the hellcats, so perf went backwards with a N/A engine???.

2015 Mods:
Hellcat Intake w/ AEM hi-flow filter.
GenPartsCo-USA D.I.P.S. air catcher screens.
Axis Model II's.
Firestone Indy 275/40/20
Rolling Thunder Reso delete.
Exteremevinyls side marker tints.
GPC Trunk Pull Handle.
Spare/Jack/Foam Delete.
GPC Phantoms.
Mopar O.E. Black Fuel Door.
Hellcat OE. ABS Cover.
Rear Seat Delete.
2014 Dodge Viper Seats.
Custom Fire Extinguisher & Mount.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:53 PM

The Wide Body Scat Pack can beat a regular Scat pack by 2 full car lengths on the track. The Wide Body Scat Pack has much better handling and it drives better on the track. It's supposed to be a better road car than the regular Scat Pack. This has been proven in the tests that have been done using the Wide Body Scat Pack versus the regular Scat Pack without the Wide Body. The Wide Body Scat pack is a better performance car in many ways when compared to the regular Scat Pack.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkekTek View Post

Then that means the wide body R/T Scat Pack with 392 has a lower top end speed because of the extra mass?
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
I wouldn't necessarily mind the potential extra traction, mainly for cornering, that the Wide Body's tires could offer, but there are two things that makes me not want them at all.

For one, and most would disagree with me here, I don't like the look of four "dually fenders" tacked onto an otherwise sleek looking body design.

Looks aside, a Wide Body would be nowhere near as stealth as a debadged regular body. Yes, I prefer it if people think that my Hellcat is an SXT. Keeping a low profile can have many advantages.

I concur with you 100% on the "dually fenders look" I don't care for the appearance of them as they looked tacked on unlike molded into body like a Corvette. This would be more for function over cosmetics. But to me the Challenger is already a big vehicle and to make it that much more wider (3 inches) will make it alot less nimble and difficult to fit into tighter spaces when space is at a premium.
I would also be concerned about any rocks, gravel or debris that is kicked up that will cause scratches and blemishes to side of body.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
To me the wide body makes a very wide car even wider. That I think this is why when I was offered a WB Hellcat I declined and picked the standard width car. I kind of feel I made the right call. ('course, I would say that wouldn't I?)

Over a year later and with over 12K miles of experience now with my Hellcat I know it is already a pretty tight fit in, well, tight spaces, of which there are a lot, for example in parking lot drives/lanes, parking spaces, etc. In a lot of areas car lots/lanes/drives and spaces are designed for smaller cars. I'd hate to think what the WB would be like in these areas.

There is I guess some advantage/benefit to the wider tires the WB comes with. The regular Hellcat is under tired.

Still, not sure how much safer the wide body is. One could argue a near miss with a regular width car would turn into contact with the wider car thus the wider car has slightly worse odds when it comes to contact/collisions.

As for the tire issue, I know my Hellcat's limits and how these are affected by its tires so I don't exceed the grip offered by the tires, thus I don't feel unsafe in my Hellcat though of course I have to behave myself.

But this is true of any car: Even a much lower powered car can injure or even kill if one doesn't respect what 3000lbs+ of car can do if not driven in a safe and responsible manner.

The standard tires don't really impact how quickly the car can get moving. Sure, if one is measuring in hundredths of a second the wider tires almost certainly shave time off any part of an acceleration that could be affected by tire traction, but with my car even maintaining very little to zero rear tire spin the car still accelerates like a lightning bolt. For any thing other than I guess the track any extra acceleration offered by the WB wider tires would be like gilding the lily or painting gold.

The WB is substantially more expensive though in my case that didn't really factor into the decision. Mainly I recall thinking how wide the WB was.

"There is I guess some advantage/benefit to the wider tires the WB comes with. The regular Hellcat is under tired."
My thought on the wide body option is that the wider tires that come with that option would make that car more stable in getting the power to the ground faster and safer so car doesn't over steer and or stays straight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode