Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Widebody Owners

25K views 78 replies 33 participants last post by  STINGRAY 
#1 ·
Looking at purchasing a Widebody Scat Pack by the end of the month. I have a few questions for those of you that already own them.

1. I have seen that there is an issue with the wider tires causing a lot of rock chips/road rash. Other than splash guards, what product have you used to help stop it?
2. Does it matter whether you have the all season or summer tires?
3. Any regrets after buying one that makes you wish you had gone standard body vs. wide body?

Thanks in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
1. The ZL1 Deluxe rock guards are great, you can also have some Xpel applied to the rocker panels and fenders

2. I have the all seasons, traction isn't great but the wider tires do help. I'll be getting some Nitto's in the near future. I'm sure the summer tires would help.

3. Im very happy with my decision on going with the widebody option. They look awesome in person, you get the stiffer springs for improved handling, devils rims that look great and the total widebody package is well worth it in my opinion!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
What He said, I am getting some road rash on the unprotected leading edge of the rear flairs.
I like my all season P-zeros and have been okay with the performance. Granted, I have not ran them on a road course yet.

#8 ·
I ordered mine through Keffer in October 2018. I doubt they have any widebody's in stock. You would probably have to order one or search online at different dealerships around NC and SC. Cars.com is a good search tool.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Mine is not a daily driver, so I didn't go with the splash guards. As mentioned earlier, I had XPEL protective film applied to the rockers/flares.

I actually sold my 2016 Challenger SRT392 in order to get the widebody. I love it and have absolutely no regrets.

#15 ·
I have the Swaim as well, they are larger.
Also have PPF on the flares.
I have no regrets about the wide body, I get compliments frequently.

With the power of a HC you need as much tire as you can get.
I recently put Toyo R888R 325/30x20 tires on the OE 11" wheels on the rear. They are the widest tires that fit the 11" wheels.

#17 ·
I like the Swaims their way bigger (Max protection)
You got that right! The Swains are way bigger. Picked up a set of Swains and ZL1 rock guards to see first hand which set would provided the best protection. It's quite obvious when placed side by side. Like the way the ZL1 guards are installed using clips only so I'll see if I can modify the swains installation using the clips...

HOT ROD ON

#18 ·
Only been a few weeks but...

1) No guards yet, but ZL1 is a local company so I may go pick up a set.

2) I run on the highway year round, so the all season's will be fine for me.

3) No regrets whatsoever. I struggled choosing a clean manual SP or a SPWB, both in octane red. Both beautiful cars. The SP had a manual 6 that I really wanted, but the widebody looked great, the wife liked it better and gave the green light for the price tag. The A8 transmission really is a wonder. The pics are literally the two cars I was choosing from. You can't go wrong so it is just about taste. Mad respect either way.

The widebody was optioned out with everything except the technology group-and I have yet to use cruise control on my '12 Charger bought new-so I don't think I'll miss it. Wish it had fog lights though!

Attachments

Reactions: Carbide
#21 ·
One last question (I think) for you widebody guys... How do you like the Alcantara interior? I'm down to choosing one of two cars, one has the stock houndstooth, one has the Alcantara. I could care less about the Alcantara seats being ventilated or the power tilt steering wheel. So, it comes down to the comfort and feel of the seats. What do you guys like?

B5Bomber - good to see one of the original '15 SPS guys! I assume you are still driving yours??

#22 ·
One last question (I think) for you widebody guys... How do you like the Alcantara interior? I'm down to choosing one of two cars, one has the stock houndstooth, one has the Alcantara. I could care less about the Alcantara seats being ventilated or the power tilt steering wheel. So, it comes down to the comfort and feel of the seats. What do you guys like?

B5Bomber - good to see one of the original '15 SPS guys! I assume you are still driving yours??
I don't have Alcantara interior (mine is regular leather), but if given the choice you are talking about, I would go for Alcantara any day over the houndstooth (aka cloth) seats - honestly, I think I'd rather have Alcantara over regular leather too. Also, this is the first car I've had with ventilates seats - and OMG are they nice when it's hot out!!! I could go without the power tilt steering wheel though - it would be much faster if it were a manual tilt wheel (same with power seats to be honest, the manual versions are so much quicker to move).

#28 ·
I appreciate everyone's opinions. I will finalize the deal for my car tomorrow morning. Plan to have the ZL1 guards on the vehicle before it leaves the dealership. Some type of film on fenders/rockers will come soon after.

#29 ·
Anyone look into putting a shaker hood/scoop on a Widebody? That's a mod I think I'd like to do. I'm assuming that a hood can be purchased and painted and the shaker and intake mount bought as well. Anyone know if it would be a "plug and play" swap out?

#35 ·
Kstay,

I had the detailer who Sun-Tek PPF wrapped and then ceramic coated my Wide Body Challenger clip on (and there is one screw for a factory predrilled hole) the zl1-addon rock guards while he had the wheels off to ceramic coat the brake calipers and wheels. Quick and easy with the wheels off.

I think they look great and they work. I drive (10 mph or less) on a 1,100 foot long gravel driveway from a country road to my garage. I also took the car to a drag strip for some "test and tune", non-competitive fun runs recently. I made eight runs and reached 120 mph in the quarter mile. I also spun the rear stock all season Pirelli's (with some regularity) off the line and through a few of the A8's gears. Nothing from the track, or any debris, or anything, got on the car's paint. As clean as when I left home. Also, the clips for these guards as secure as ever.

If you get a 2019 SP wide body you will get the special handling package and "tune" from the factory that an FCA engineer discusses in a YouTube video I saw. His selling point for the WB was that it wasn't just the wheels, tires, fenders and visible hardware borrowed from the 2018 models. The SP doesn't have the 200 pound supercharger and they intentionally tweaked the suspension parts to optimize the 2019 SP's wide body option handling. Every reviewer said the SP was more fun to drive hard than the Hellcats on a curvy track.

I have the Red Eye with just under 1,000 miles on it, and I love my car, but I can honestly say after seeing several recent model 392 hemi-equipped Challengers run at the track and watching dozens of reviewer videos about the SP wide body, and reading up on the 2019 Scat Pack wide body, that it would be an awesome car to own. I'm just pulling this number out of my rear end, but I say the SP wide body is "like 95% of a Hellcat" for a whole lot less money. A whole lot less. And it looks like the 2018 Hellcat with its hood.

But beware...my neighbor said his 2016 SP was a "gateway drug" to his 2017 NB Hellcat. I laughed and said, "I'm 63 and had to pull the trigger on the RE, but for younger people all in good time!"

Best,

Finface

#39 ·
Thanks Finface. I've talked to my salesman, who basically is a dedicated Challenger/Charger guy, and he works with one tech at the dealership and they work together when an ordered car comes in and do all the prep work together. I already bought the ZL1's, and he and his tech will put them on before I even pick it up. Will see how they perform before worrying about Xpel or some type of paint production. I'm glad to hear that you've been very happy with yours. This will be my second Scat Pack, so as of yet, it hasn't been the gateway drug...:grin2:

#37 ·
To the OP/anyone else considering WB - they look AMAZING in person (IMO) :facelick:

The stance is perfect and the wider track really suits the LA body well (again just my $0.02). My point - see one in person if you get the chance, pics just don't do the WB justice...it is hot hot hot ****!!

My only complaint (not exactly a bold one) is the stick-on fender flares...BUT on the other hand, retooling and introducing WB-unique fenders would really drive up the unit/retail price so I'm not complaining(!) :thanks:

#38 ·
But beware...my neighbor said his 2016 SP was a "gateway drug" to his 2017 NB Hellcat. I laughed and said, "I'm 63 and had to pull the trigger on the RE, but for younger people all in good time!"

Best,

Finface[/QUOTE]

Gateway drug indeed, I intend to sell or trade in my Scat widebody for a Hellcat wide body this fall.

The need for speed is overwhelming!!

#41 ·
I've had my WB Scatpack for 2weeks today.... did a 500 mile trip to VT last weekend.... love this car .... it is a beast !! I did find two indentations, one one the outskirts of the roof above the passenger's door and one on the right quarter panel near the tail lights... The guy who is doing the ceramic coating and Xpel is going to take care of that for me... no paint chips just a slight dimple.... bummed about that.......
I am still up in the air on the Auto vs Stick......maybe because I prefer stick locally and prefer Auto on long drives...:lol:

#48 ·
I've had mine for 3 weeks now. Get the summer tires, unless you plan to purchase your own Summer High Performance tires upon delivery. The widebody is amazing. The suspension is tight, it looks good, and the fat ass tires make hooking on the street incredible. I can't believe how well I can hook a pull, in track mode, without hardly having to moderate my throttle squeeze as I rip through gears. The tires sell the upgrade IMHO.

#49 ·
You're not the first person to say that about the summer tires. I did not, however, order them. Figured I'd give the all seasons a try and see how they work with how I drive. Good chance I won't have them on long. I've got a good connection for tires, so picking something different won't be a big deal if I don't like them. Glad to hear you are enjoying your wide body!

#54 ·
Finally got around to installing the rock guards on the Demon and my major concern was drilling holes in the wheel well liner and I really didn't want to go there. Installed the Swaims on the front along with a u shaped mounting bracket that I made so no drilling for the top hole was necessary. The rear required you to drill threes holes per side for mounting, so I installed the ZL1 guards that use clips and a piece of double sided tape where the only hole was to be drilled at the bottom. So, I ended up with no hole in one....

HOT ROD ON

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.