Anyone Tried the Meat Thermometer Mod? - Page 6 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
The Garage: For OTHER car talk Want to hang out and talk about other cars & car stuff? This is the place to do it!. Come on in and kick some tires... **ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,364 Times in 989 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gila Hemi View Post
FWIW, you can fix the leak with Marine Weld from JB Weld...
Eh, I realized it doesn't necessarily need to be sealed up since it's pre-filter, so I'll probably just plug it with some bubble gum or something.

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:48 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Thanked 1,046 Times in 871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gila Hemi View Post
FWIW, you can fix the leak with Marine Weld from JB Weld...
That's if it leaked at the aluminum core or plastic side tanks but if it is at the joint I doubt it will hold.

@Nuke is that screen OEM? Is it fused to the air box or is it removable?

Also why not get an IAT sensor with a 0-5V analog output and tap it into the Trinity so you can log directly? Are you trying to monitor incoming air box temp? I thought the trinity could read ambient air temp from the sensor near the radiator (assuming your charger has one)? The air box temp should be within ambient and intake air temps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ M6 (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,364 Times in 989 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
That's if it leaked at the aluminum core or plastic side tanks but if it is at the joint I doubt it will hold.

@Nuke is that screen OEM? Is it fused to the air box or is it removable?
No, that screen is THD...as in, I went to The Home Depot and bought a small roll of screen door-like material and cut out a section to wrap around that inlet hole for the air box.

Why would I do that?

Well, because there was a point at which you could pull that air box top, remove the air filter, look straight down, and see the ground (and anything on the ground) right on the other side of the inlet hole. Which is the most likely source for the strange new collection of items I was starting to find on the safe side of my air filter when I would go to change it out - butterflies, dragonflies, moths, bird feathers, and even the occasional small amphibian (when summer or summer-like weather going on). I was not comfortable allowing that to continue, thus the screen "outer filter" on the bottom of the air box approach....sort of a pre-filter filter...just to knock the big stuff down before they get to the real filter and clog it up more than necessary.

And yes, it can be removed, but i have to pull the air box out to do it...either that or just cut it out I guess. It would be easy to replace since I have like 4 square feet of that stuff left.

Quote:
Also why not get an IAT sensor with a 0-5V analog output and tap it into the Trinity so you can log directly?
I was under the impression that the external input port on the Trinity was only for wideband 02 gauges, so it really didn't occur to me to get another IAT sensor and try that...If that slot on the Trinity can accept any kind of analog input, that would be wonderful, seeing as the remote unit's probe plugs back into that remote unit with the very same plug the trinity has for the wideband gauges. If I could have just plugged that thing into the Trinity and startec recording from the start, I'm going to be really angry!!!

Quote:
Are you trying to monitor incoming air box temp?
I had a hypothesis that I wanted to collect some data on that hypothesis to be able to prove disprove it once and for all (it's been on my mind for a long time).

Quote:
I thought the trinity could read ambient air temp from the sensor near the radiator (assuming your charger has one)?
It can, and yes it does, but just using a temp taken from a spot directly in front of the radiator doesn't tell me much about what I am actually looking for - the temperature of the air getting mixed with the fuel and burned.
It is my position that the IAT sensor heat soaks very easily and thus reports the wrong temp to the ECU for mixing the air and fuel.

Quote:
The air box temp should be within ambient and intake air temps.
You would think it would be, yes...and on the highways or otherwise when not in stop and go traffic, it will be very close. But in stop and go traffic or extended periods of idling, the IAT sensor looses its damned mind! It could be as much as 25-30F difference! But I knew that was incorrect, I just didn't know how much. Judging by the amount of STKR I was seeing at times, I could guess it off by a double butt-load anytime I saw several spikes over 3 degrees in quick succession.

With that, I must ask, what's with all the questions??? Are you writing a book about me? I want in on some of the loot if that's what you're doing!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 01:07 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Thanked 1,046 Times in 871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post

I was under the impression that the external input port on the Trinity was only for wideband 02 gauges, so it really didn't occur to me to get another IAT sensor and try that...If that slot on the Trinity can accept any kind of analog input, that would be wonderful, seeing as the remote unit's probe plugs back into that remote unit with the very same plug the trinity has for the wideband gauges. If I could have just plugged that thing into the Trinity and startec recording from the start, I'm going to be really angry!!!
The Trinity accepts a 0-5V linear input, yes it can be used for AFR but it can also be used to read fuel pressure, EGTs and even IAT provided the sensor output is linear and 0-5Vdc. Normally you need to know the sensor slope and offset. See page 20. It accepts 2 channels, although it is recommend channel 2 input be used if you are only monitoring 1 sensor.
https://www.diablosport.com/content/...ion_manual.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
With that, I must ask, what's with all the questions??? Are you writing a book about me? I want in on some of the loot if that's what you're doing!!
Shoot was it that obvious...I was even typing with my poker face.

BTW if you want to give the analOG input a try, I have spare plugs for the trinity that I can snail mail you. I bought a bag of 15 from aliexpress (took a month to arrive) that are sitting around now that I got rid of the trinity for the HP.

Last edited by ChallyTatum; 11-15-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off Topic Section > The Garage: For OTHER car talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode