Chevy fixed the Camaro - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
The Garage: For OTHER car talk Want to hang out and talk about other cars & car stuff? This is the place to do it!. Come on in and kick some tires... **ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgethedog View Post
I see no difference other than they moved the bow tie... oh, they made the bumper insert body color, but they did not change the ugly front end. Big deal... On a black car it makes no difference. Creativity is just off the charts at Chevrolet... LOL
Might not seem like a drastic change when you say it like that, but it has a huge visual impact. It's all it took to take it from an awkward eyesore to a decent ( but not great) looking front end again. It's at least balanced and looks more completed now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:44 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The only thing that could fix the Camaro is a total redesign, it hasn't looked good since it's reintroduction and it keeps getting uglier. When the first pics of the 2010 Camaro came out, my thinking was, "Well, I'm not buying something that looks like that!", and when I saw the 2016 "redesign", I thought, "How the hell could they manage to make it even uglier?". I'm a 2 time Camaro and one time Trans Am owner (2nd and 3rd gen), and it saddens me that the "designers" at GM could get it so wrong, twice. The Camaro is a great car, in an ugly as hell package that has little utility. And Chevy wonders why it's not selling well? LOOK AT IT!

King, my "Dog of a lifetime" 12/23/1998-12/13/2012, Super smart, super stubborn, and, as a couple of dog trainers said, "King is an Evil Genius", "He has zero tolerance for idiots, human or dog!". Stupid people were ignored.

2018 Challenger R/T Scatpack, TorRed, A8, Dynamics package, HK Stereo, Leather, Convenience package.
Bought 7/14/18.
Best E.T.- [email protected] (by the dash timer)

2010 Challenger R/T, auto, in Hemi Orange. Traded on 7/14/18.
Best E.T.- [email protected]
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyS View Post
The new Blazer is another eyesore.GM designers need to go back to school or how about this. Ask people what they want to see. That might be to easy .
That's the whole problem. They ask current owners. "Hey, what do you like about your Camaro?" "Oh I love how aggressive it looks." Okay, we'll make it more aggro, and exaggerate all the body lines (even more than they already are).

If they asked the general public, they'd probably get responses like "Jesus, really? It's fookin hideous." And the corporate culture doesn't want to hear that, they want/need to hear that they're super smart and made the right call. So we get abominations like the ugly Camaro and the new Blazer.

Then again, people buy the Traverse and Equinox. There must be a lot of blind people buying cars.

Dodge got it right with the Challenger right off the bat. And while the critics can boo-hoo about making the same car for 10 years, sales numbers don't lie. If they're right and FCA hasn't updated the Challenger because it would cost too much, I say hooray for corporate poverty.

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask, though. 21st century designs leave me cold, Challenger being the only exception. The 2005 Mustang came close.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:14 AM

Had camaro just gone back more to their roots it wouldn't be ugly. Not sure why they didn't! Bringing back the old camaro in terms of styling but with modern power and conveniences would have been pretty cool.

2015 Scatpack 392 M6
Black/black
Stainless Works LT Headers
High flow cats
Resonator delete
274 Comp Cam with vvt limiter
Arrington 84 mm throttle body
Barton short throw shifter
Unlocked PCM
Diablo Sport Tuner
HHP Tune
Mopar CAI
Mopar front/rear strut tower braces
Speedlogix SS eliminator
Black lug nuts with Hellcat center caps
Mopar Performance Lowering Springs
Hellcat ram air intake
Hellcat red start button
275 Nittos
Heated/Ventilated seats

post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us1champ View Post
If I owned an SS, I would be mad. Same motor in a lower package, lol. Kind of like when the Scat Pack came out and the SRT guys where upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SRT is the halo development program so it is kinda of expected for an SRT engine to appear in the R/T.
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:21 AM

Garage
I really want to like the Camaro (check my sig it's in my blood), but the design and size is just not for me. I was a big fan of the 5th gen but the current design.

GM really needs to figure out their strategy. It took Dodge years before they figured it out (embraced their straight-line niche, took it to the Nth degree, halo cars with cartoon-esque names like Hellcat, Demon, Redeye, 1320 and social media promotions). Meanwhile Chevy builds an incredible performance machine that will do circles around a track against most cars for more money and no one cares.

The refresh for 20 will help the die hard fans who hate the 19 nose but I don't think a cheaper V8 will fix their problem.

1968 Camaro convertible, LS1 & T56, Texas Speed 228R cam, 3.73 posi, 17" Torque Thrusts

2016 Scat Pack Shaker Challenger RT, M6, WRT, black leather, Barton shifter, 275 tires

post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
I really want to like the Camaro (check my sig it's in my blood), but the design and size is just not for me. I was a big fan of the 5th gen but the current design.

GM really needs to figure out their strategy. It took Dodge years before they figured it out (embraced their straight-line niche, took it to the Nth degree, halo cars with cartoon-esque names like Hellcat, Demon, Redeye, 1320 and social media promotions). Meanwhile Chevy builds an incredible performance machine that will do circles around a track against most cars for more money and no one cares.

The refresh for 20 will help the die hard fans who hate the 19 nose but I don't think a cheaper V8 will fix their problem.
Proper marketing would go a long way for Chevy. A part of me is a Camaro fan too, and I want to see it do better. If you look at the Camaro6 forums or anything like that, it's pretty clear that Chevy has a different mindset than Dodge when it comes to this. GM treats Camaro ownership as if it's a club, only for niche buyers or the most hardcore track guys. You only get to know about the Camaro if you search it out yourself, because they sure aren't going to advertise. Everyone else should just buy a crossover because that's the mainstream.

Dealerships are still restricted to allocations on ZL1s and the performance variants. So you have next to no selection to test drive if you're interested. Maybe in the states it's a little better but In my area, the GM dealers barely have any Camaros, if at all. You would have to special order one the way you want it. There is a lot of people who just don't want to bother with that. And it doesn't surprise me when I hear of people that don't know the Camaro even still exists.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackHemi41 For This Useful Post:
GreeninTN (05-04-2019)
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,712 Times in 2,809 Posts
Garage
I can guarantee right now there are non professional artists who could nail the design right now. Yes they have to make the engine fit, and deal with aerodynamics and bumpers and such, but the basic, call it plastics, could certainly mimic the 67-69 Camaro. Or move on to the 1970-1973 (Split bumper!), and start over.

Here's the thing, they don't want the retro car. they wanted to move it to a sports car with some retro styling cues. They did so, but I don't think they took the buyers along with them. They lost the muscle car guys to the Challenger, and yes, the Mustang. If that was the majority, they made the right move, if it's not, well...

A Guy

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
ckaram (05-05-2019), SpeedShift (05-05-2019)
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Here's the thing, they don't want the retro car. they wanted to move it to a sports car with some retro styling cues. They did so, but I don't think they took the buyers along with them. They lost the muscle car guys to the Challenger, and yes, the Mustang.
A Guy
That's it in a nutshell.

2013 BOSS 302 Mustang, School Bus Yellow, 6spd, Recaros, Torsen diff w/3:73's, Summer Pirelli's, Side exhaust Uncorked!...Current Ride.

2015 SRT 392, Billet Silver w/blk stripes, A8, Sunroof, Blk Laguna, Tech, Nav, Red seat belts, Summer Pirelli's... SOLD!

2012 Mustang GT Premium, Performance White, Blk leather, 6spd, Brembo performance package, 3:73's, Summer Pirelli's...SOLD!
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy59 View Post
The last good looking camaro was the 1979 model. And the C3 vette was the last good looking vette

I agree in so many ways, unfortunately, my dog can pinch off a turd faster than those cars could make it to 60MPH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > The Garage: For OTHER car talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode