Ford Slogan Semantics - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
The Garage: For OTHER car talk Want to hang out and talk about other cars & car stuff? This is the place to do it!. Come on in and kick some tires... **ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-14-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,315 Times in 954 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Angry Ford Slogan Semantics

I have seen the slogan, "Ford has a better idea." used in one or two Ford advertisements at some point, and I am here to say that is just semantic BS in my humble opinion.

Sure, we could waste time trying to define the adjective 'better' as used in the slogan, but I refuse to allow misdirection to sully my point: I really hate working on Fords! Everything is bass-ackwards!!

And this weekend was just another reminder of why...

Long story short, my neighbor attempted a spark plug change on his 2003 F150 with the 4.6L V8 (230K miles), and it quickly devolved into a quagmire of crap that threw the original task out the window and replaced it with just getting it back together while minimizing any damage that might have been done in the process. And it didn't end until late tonight - Sunday (started Friday evening).

I wasn't initially involved in the deal, but when it became apparent that he could realistically not have a running truck come Monday morning, he asked me to help him do something...anything to undo whatever had been done. I agreed to help, but I hated every second of it!

But in the spirit of "You learn something new every day", I can at least say that the whole sordid affair did teach me something I did not previously know - Ford V8s have a completely different numbering sequence for their cylinders than their domestic counterparts in Dodge and Chevy.

Instead of the familiar odd/even numbered cylinders in two banks (2/4/6/8 and 1/3/5/7), Fords are numbered 1/2/3/4 and 5/6/7/8.

WTFF?? (What the F***, Ford??)

I don't know which is more surprising, that I've gone this long without actually knowing that fact, or that Ford considers straying from the norm so much as being a "...better idea."

With that in mind, I propose another acronym for the FORD moniker:

F(ord)
O(bstinate and)
R(eally)
D(ickish)

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuke For This Useful Post:
Jimmy N. (04-15-2019), silver scat (04-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 08:20 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Here is a nice article about the firing orders.
https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...r-your-engine/

BTW, why anyone would try and remember firing orders is beyond me? I have had both domestic and import vehicles and if I tried to remember firing orders of each vehicle it would have Nuke'd my brain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)

Last edited by ChallyTatum; 04-15-2019 at 08:22 AM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 08:24 AM

Some more examples of what FORD *really* stands for (you've probably heard these before though):
---------------------
Find
On
Road
Dead

---------------------

Fixed
Or
Repaired
Daily

Any others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 10:12 AM

I would agree with their use of "better idea" after spending two days after school (back in the day) changing spark plugs on my '68 Torino GT with a 390. Huge shock towers overshadowed the two inboard spark plugs on each head, which "better ideally" pointed towards each other as well. About a 1/2" clearance between shock tower and valve cover to access trying to get a spark plug wrench in there. And that was after removing the Thermactor rail that ran right in that 1/2" gap, affording no access. I got your better idea right here.

Found out later the factory procedure was to undo the mounts and jack up the engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 R/T Blacktop Yellow Jacket
Mopar Stage 1 springs
SPC camber bushings rear
Vision Torque wheels
8.5"x20" 10mm offset front
9.5"x20" 12mm offset rear
Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires
255/40/20 front
275/40/20 rear
Red R/T grille badge

"It's not that I don't like people, I just feel better when they're not around."
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 12:53 PM

Don't forget about their brilliant 7-lug wheels, a "better idea" that thankfully didn't last.

And that you "Go Further" in a Ford. The question is how fur you want to go. I'd rather go farther.

2018 Challenger
2019 Challenger
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 01:02 PM

Garage

Somewhere in the Sonora Desert...
2014 R/T Shaker M6 w/JBA long tubes and exhaust, Magnuson super charger, Fastman throttle body, API fuel hat, HHP custom tune - See the rest in my garage...

Wife: 2015 R/T Plus A8 jazz blue pearl w/ Super Track Pak, A/C-heated leather seats and some other cool stuff,,,
Member:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gila Hemi For This Useful Post:
ChallyTatum (04-15-2019), Jimmy N. (04-15-2019), Nuke (04-16-2019), R/T-Randy (04-15-2019), Tshane72 (04-15-2019)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 01:03 PM

I must admit that I've never had enough tools or patience to own a Ford.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy N. For This Useful Post:
Nuke (04-16-2019)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,292 Times in 2,517 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
I have seen the slogan, "Ford has a better idea." used in one or two Ford advertisements at some point, and I am here to say that is just semantic BS in my humble opinion.

Sure, we could waste time trying to define the adjective 'better' as used in the slogan, but I refuse to allow misdirection to sully my point: I really hate working on Fords! Everything is bass-ackwards!!

And this weekend was just another reminder of why...

Long story short, my neighbor attempted a spark plug change on his 2003 F150 with the 4.6L V8 (230K miles), and it quickly devolved into a quagmire of crap that threw the original task out the window and replaced it with just getting it back together while minimizing any damage that might have been done in the process. And it didn't end until late tonight - Sunday (started Friday evening).

I wasn't initially involved in the deal, but when it became apparent that he could realistically not have a running truck come Monday morning, he asked me to help him do something...anything to undo whatever had been done. I agreed to help, but I hated every second of it!

But in the spirit of "You learn something new every day", I can at least say that the whole sordid affair did teach me something I did not previously know - Ford V8s have a completely different numbering sequence for their cylinders than their domestic counterparts in Dodge and Chevy.

Instead of the familiar odd/even numbered cylinders in two banks (2/4/6/8 and 1/3/5/7), Fords are numbered 1/2/3/4 and 5/6/7/8.

WTFF?? (What the F***, Ford??)
Ah, the early years of the Triton V8 - and that crappy spark plug design.

the early ones had 3 - 4 threads that the plug secured into the head. Hence, the self-ejecting spark plugs they were known for.

The later design had more threads to "resolve" one of the two problems - the self ejecting plug.

The 2nd design flaw is the body of the plug (non threaded) goes into the cylinder and carbon builds up and "locks" the plug to the plug bore.

You have to use penetrating solvent to help break down the carbon before attempting to remove the plug.
-if you didn't the plug could shear off...require the $2k special tool just for Ford! *imagine that* to extract the broken stub out of the head (without removing the cylinder head from engine)

Its not that uncommon that other makes have cylinder numbering like that. Mercedes V block engines to the 1-2-3, etc numbering as well.

But on top of that, Ford's Windsor engines have the #1 cyl on the passenger side of the block - just to be different yet again.

The newer Ford (and Nissan) V6 engines are no fun to work on. Cam timing chains on front and back side of the head. And access isn't great

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
The Following User Says Thank You to Hal H For This Useful Post:
Nuke (04-16-2019)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,292 Times in 2,517 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
I must admit that I've never had enough tools or patience to own a Ford.
a friend back in WA state hates working on Ford, Subaru and VW...

but says that he's always guaranteed he'll never be out of work with those brands.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hal H For This Useful Post:
Jimmy N. (04-15-2019)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 02:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Some more examples of what FORD *really* stands for (you've probably heard these before though):
---------------------
Find
On
Road
Dead

---------------------

Fixed
Or
Repaired
Daily

Any others?
F**ked on race day

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackHemi41 For This Useful Post:
Nuke (04-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > The Garage: For OTHER car talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in