GM voids engine warranty over catch can - Page 5 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
The Garage: For OTHER car talk Want to hang out and talk about other cars & car stuff? This is the place to do it!. Come on in and kick some tires... **ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:13 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think there is more to this story (other Mods) I have 2 chevrolets and looking thru their performance catalog. I find that Chevrolet sells a catch can for the Camaro. See below. So how can say a catch can causes damage when they sell one.
Something don't smell right

* F. 92229651 
 . Gen 5 Camaro 1LE PCV System
* Crankcase ventilation system designed for the track-oriented Camaro 1LE package, designed for excellent oil separation and crankcase return during high-performance driving and high-load cornering. Simple catch-can-type design screws into oil- ll port in the rocker cover of V-8 and V-6 models. 

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	670746  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

El Paso Bob
2016 HellCat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 08:40 AM

Garage
So what ever happened. GM approve the repairs yet or not. A GM warranty rep should have showed up at the dealership by now
post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 08:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,458 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Not fixed yet but now "GM is investigating" based on the owner's last post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack, B5, 6-speed, SPAG, WRTs, sunroof, SGII, Convenience, Tech and Leather; UPR catch can, skip-shift eliminator, Mopar splash guards.
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Inferno Red, 4.7L V8
RIP 11/2/14 - 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPasoBob View Post
I was gonna install mine on my 15 Shaker Today, now it worries me after reading this. dont Need any warranty problems down the road
I think that if I ever have to take my R/T in to the dealership for whatever, I'll just remove my UPR catch can. It will take less that 10 minutes to uninstall and put the stock hose back on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1971 Demon 340
post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 09:41 AM

Garage
Catch Can petition ditched for some strange reason........

https://www.change.org/p/alicia-bole...nty/u/16585022

Petition update

Petition a complete waste of time.

Stacy BrewerLake Stevens, WA

May 15, 2016 — I am ditching the petition and apologize to the affected party if I hurt his chance for a resolution.

I'll also apologize to the 600 of you who signed, commented and circualted the petition for wasting your time and efforts.

Thank you for your support, however misguided it may have been.

If you want to keep your warranty from being voided, ditch the mods, any mod. And yes, GM would rather see your Direct Injected engine valves, and intakes caked with gunk, than allow you to use benign prevention measures like a catch can to prevent it.

Must be why power-train warranties are downgraded to 60k miles now. That's all GM, or any other major maker, expect them to last.

Disposable cars. That's what we are buying. If GM has no faith in their quality, why should we?

If this were my issue? I would fight this BS to the end and make them wish they'd never heard my name. But it's not.

BTW, Ford is no better.

Ford?s Warranty is a joke. Your claim has been denied. | Jason Hilton

So you got that Mary T. Barra? You win. But try screwing me and you will pay more. Far more than doing the right thing in the first place would have cost you. By my calculations of pissed off people on this petition, you have lost at least a few 40k vehicle sales. And every Google search from now on about "GM Warranty" will hopefully pull this up.
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPasoBob View Post
I think there is more to this story (other Mods) I have 2 chevrolets and looking thru their performance catalog. I find that Chevrolet sells a catch can for the Camaro. See below. So how can say a catch can causes damage when they sell one.
Something don't smell right

* F. 92229651 
 . Gen 5 Camaro 1LE PCV System
* Crankcase ventilation system designed for the track-oriented Camaro 1LE package, designed for excellent oil separation and crankcase return during high-performance driving and high-load cornering. Simple catch-can-type design screws into oil- ll port in the rocker cover of V-8 and V-6 models. 

Just because they sell one doesn't mean it won't affect warranty, that part is called out off road only and above above 32F temperature... I'm in no way saying this would be used by dealership to fight warranty claims BUT it could be.

Mopar performance parts with numbers starting with P have no warranty and can affect warranty of other parts. Would a dealer saying Stage 1 lowering springs caused a rear differential failure, probably not, but I"m sure they could say lowering the car changed angles and forces or some other crap to get around the claim.
post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 03:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged Scat View Post
Just because they sell one doesn't mean it won't affect warranty, that part is called out off road only and above above 32F temperature... I'm in no way saying this would be used by dealership to fight warranty claims BUT it could be.

Mopar performance parts with numbers starting with P have no warranty and can affect warranty of other parts. Would a dealer saying Stage 1 lowering springs caused a rear differential failure, probably not, but I"m sure they could say lowering the car changed angles and forces or some other crap to get around the claim.
This why I bought at dealer and installed at dealer.

Pack performance stage kits, first unveiled by Dodge and Mopar last November at the 2013 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas, can do so with confidence that the vehicle warranty will remain unaffected.

In an industry-first for such high-level performance modifications offered by an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), the factory warranty will be maintained on 2014 Dodge Challenger and Charger vehicles modified with the Scat Pack 1, Scat Pack 2 and Scat Pack 3 performance stage kits with installation at an authorized dealer.

"The Scat Pack factory stage kits can help boost 5.7-liter HEMI performance up to an additional 58 horsepower and 47 lb.-ft. of torque, allowing Dodge enthusiasts to extract the maximum performance from their vehicles without the fear and guesswork typically associated with modifying late-model vehicles," said Tim Kuniskis, President and CEO, Dodge Brand. "And now with a warranty guarantee, they can do so with the peace of m
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 05:30 PM

Garage
warranty claim denied today

Quote:
Final resolution from GM

I have heard a final resolution from GM.
However, first I want to say a huge thank you to everyone in here, I was simply hoping to air my story and see what happened. I never dreamed it would turn into what it did. The idea of a petition never crossed my mind, and I am very grateful for Mr Stacy and the things he did for me in this. I am grateful for everyone who signed the petition, and those that didn’t sign, but offered words of encouragement or advice, and the ones who sent me PM’s to encourage me. As anyone can imagine this whole situation felt like a kick in the nuts, and everyone here has really helped me pull through it.

GM’s final verdict is that my entire powertrain warranty will remain blocked, and they will not fix my car. The catch can may or may not have been the causes of the failure, but according to the owner’s manual any modification can void your warranty. I knew going in to this, like everyone, else that what I was doing could void the warranty, but I listened to the stories online of “I have X, Y, and Z mods and I got warrantied”. I took a calculated risk that adding the catch can would not void my warranty, and I was wrong.

Now before everyone goes and blames GM on this please understand something. I also greatly believe that your relationship with your dealer, as well as the knowledge of the dealer plays a HUGE part in what does and/or doesn’t get covered. Like several have mentioned I had my car taken to a GMC Cadillac dealer who may not have had much experience with the Camaro and the LS3. That lack of experience and knowledge about the car may have led them to believe my car was more modified than it was. Your experience may vary at your dealership. Your dealer may have more knowledge, and may know you better, and may cover your car with a catch can and a cold air intake. However GM’s stance is that modifications void your warranty, and I understand and agree with that.

GM will not be fixing my car, and I understand and agree with them on why they won’t. If they fix mine because I only have a cold air intake and a catch can, where does it end? What about the guy who only has intake and shorty headers but no tune? What about the guy who has only this or only that? Where do they draw the line? GM drew the line at NO modifications, and that is ok with me.

Now again before ya’ll rush off to sell your cars or burn them down or picket GM, please understand something else. I did not take what I was told by GM to be if you have fuzzy dice on your mirror your warranty is done or if you have different tires, or used none GM fluids. I took it to mean that if you added modifications to the vehicle. If you added something that was not originally there or significantly altered your vehicle with none OE equivalent parts then you were voiding you warranty. I took it as so long as the parts used were OE or OE equivalent replacements you would be ok, and that makes sense to me, and I agree with it.

Could I continue to fight this and take it all to court? Sure. However I don’t have the money, time, or energy to go to court over this. I need my car up and running, and can afford to do so, so I will be fixing my car myself. I greatly appreciate everyone who donated money to the GO FUND ME (you should be getting a refund) but I don’t want to fight this in court.

On a positive note, now that my warranty is done, I am free to mod to my hearts (or atleast my wallet’s) content. Again THANK YOU to everyone who has supported me in this, I cannot express how helpful all of this was for me. And please don’t let this shake your faith in GM, they are a company that got put in an awkward situation and had a choice to make, and made the one that protected them, and I do not blame them at all. GM still makes a great product, and I will probably continue to be a customer in the future.

2018 Mustang GT PP
2016 ScatPack, Bright white A8 (sold: finally got rid of the damn thing)
1971 Buick GS
2013 Mustang 5.0 (sold)
2013 Mustang 5.0 track pack (sold)
2011 Mustang 5.0 (sold)
2010 Camaro SS (sold)
2009 G8 GT (sold)
post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanked 3,634 Times in 2,733 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Update from the Camaro owner on GM's final verdict ..

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1463355060243.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	673330  

2016 SRT 392 - Billet Silver, Black Stripes, A8, Tech Group ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 05:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,458 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Well, screw GM. I've already vowed to never own another GM product (made that promise about 20 years ago) and this just adds to the reasons why.

Sure, the same thing could happen to us as well. Haven't heard of it happening yet, though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > The Garage: For OTHER car talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode