Old school Sound...... - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
The Garage: For OTHER car talk Want to hang out and talk about other cars & car stuff? This is the place to do it!. Come on in and kick some tires... **ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Old school Sound......

I only wish I could get this sound out of the TA or even just get it's best sound for so very much less than the$1,400 price tag attached to active exhaust solutions. for the modern Challenger.

Anyway.......got the old Corvette exhaust note where I want it with some chambered mufflers added. New car tech has so very many advantages over old but sound isn't one of them. At the end is a quick acceleration, lost traction and lots of hitting the rev limiter before "hooking up" but unfortunately the "Go Pro" doesn't really capture the sound out side in the wind as well as it does in the garage or at idle in the driveway.

Last edited by TA 392 YJ; 05-15-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:44 PM

Cost me a lot more than $1,400 though

https://youtu.be/Zo166L-cPIk
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiHiHemi View Post
Cost me a lot more than $1,400 though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo16...ature=youtu.be
Yeah, I bet! I like it though! The lope to that idle you've managed to get costs $$$ today. Cam, head work and all the associated supporting pieces to make it all work have never been more expensive than it is today. Especially for the "mopar" faithful. Seems like it's just the price you pay for modern tech. It's hard to tell from just the idle. Headers must be part of the package I'd assume and I have to ask are there "cats" in place or are you running "straight pipes"? No small part of the reason my 392 is unlikely to ever see any sort of "build" boils down to keeping it, legal, within warranty, reliable and street-able with out issues.

Last edited by TA 392 YJ; 05-16-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:54 PM

Yea, went catless with Kooks long tubes, Mini Bullet mid muffs and OE resos. Cam is a custom grind and 13:1 compression on pump gas. Built to be a daily driver and cruise machine believe it or not
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:05 PM

Garage
Make a high quality recording of the exhaust of your choice and play it back over your premium sound system. Problem solved.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiHiHemi View Post
Yea, went catless with Kooks long tubes, Mini Bullet mid muffs and OE resos. Cam is a custom grind and 13:1 compression on pump gas. Built to be a daily driver and cruise machine believe it or not
13:1.........cruiser?

Where do you find gasoline for that these days? Even with computer controlled ignition timing and fuel delivery that sounds like an engine that requires "race gas" to avoid being hobbled by retarded timing on pump gas.

By way of a comparison (yes I know you understand all this stuff but maybe not everyone reading will).....in a traditional set up like my old Corvette in the video just 10:1 compression requires premium pump gas and even at that the only reason I can get away with it safely is a long duration/high lift cam that limits the time in each compression stroke just enough to let an engine without the HIGH TECH knock sensors and computer controlled ignition timing to survive even this MODEST amount of "SQUEEZE".

Here in New Hampshire 93 Octane is what most Gas Stations carry so I'm a little safer than in a State where 91 is considered "Premium".........but we are a long way from the days of leaded gasoline and the over 100 octane fuel at the pump.

It's quite the testament to Modern Tech that 11:1 is pretty common today. Virtually nothing without a computer could make it's best power SAFELY on pump gas at 11:1.

10 years before my '79 Corvette was built there were lots factory delivered 11:1 motors in street cars, some higher than that......after the removal of lead and the subsequent drop in octane and tail pipe testing for emissions in the mid 1970s this Red Corvette in the video might still have been the RACIEST looking car of 1979 that you could buy.......and it's L82 350 was still a 4 bolt block..........BUT......you really got the "look" and no performance to back it up. It's weak HP figures and over-all dismal performance was in no small part due to it's flat as Montana cam profile, piss poor head design and the low compression ratio. I laugh today at the fact there are actually Corvette guys out there who'd prioritize the L82 option over the base model engine in these late 70s Corvettes. I figure that's CRAZY TALK......far better to focus on the condition of the car itself. The original engine should be considered a "throw away".

Given how VERY LOST Detroit's big 3 car makers were in this new era of "cleaner" tail pipe requirements........ if you'd ever told me that we'd eventually be able to buy base Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers with near 500HP and the premium power options in the 600-800HP range....... I'd have thought you were CRAZY!!

So this leads me to an obvious question.

You built your own 426 and that's pretty cool especially since Dodge has yet to see the wisdom and sales potential of offering up as "stock" option ........ any idea how much power you're making?

Is it "all motor" as I would hope for.......or have you done the super charging or turbo route? (still cool if you did but I just like the whole idea of a NA 426 in the image of the past)

Last edited by TA 392 YJ; 05-16-2019 at 01:30 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostreetamx View Post
Make a high quality recording of the exhaust of your choice and play it back over your premium sound system. Problem solved.
Speakers under the bumper?

Might be hard to get the acceleration vs. cruising vs. idle matched up with how you're driving at the time though.

I'm only half way to taking your suggestion as less than serious........I would bet anything in a KOOKY world full of nutty automotive ideas I'm thinking somewhere, somehow......somebody has attempted it.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:20 PM

Garage
Some electric cars come with noise maker speakers since they were hitting pedestrians who could not hear them coming. If I can get sound files downloaded into my HO scale electric trains that almost sound real, it's not that much of a stretch to do the same in 1 to 1 scale for a car with the right sound file and speed sensors. My trains get louder and the sound changes as you accelerate and they even have an idle sound file. I'm sure there is someone else, other than me, that has also considered something like this for the same reason. They already have apps with motor sounds available in App form that I use on my electric work cart to get people to move out of the way without scaring them with the very loud horn. I really need a better speaker for that though since the one in the phone just isn't loud enough. I do use I-Phone 4 speakers in some of my train engines but you would need some woofers for your car or a Bazooka tube.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:31 PM

Thanked 4,336 Times in 2,707 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostreetamx View Post
Some electric cars come with noise maker speakers since they were hitting pedestrians who could not hear them coming. If I can get sound files downloaded into my HO scale electric trains that almost sound real, it's not that much of a stretch to do the same in 1 to 1 scale for a car with the right sound file and speed sensors. My trains get louder and the sound changes as you accelerate and they even have an idle sound file. I'm sure there is someone else, other than me, that has also considered something like this for the same reason. They already have apps with motor sounds available in App form that I use on my electric work cart to get people to move out of the way without scaring them with the very loud horn. I really need a better speaker for that though since the one in the phone just isn't loud enough. I do use I-Phone 4 speakers in some of my train engines but you would need some woofers for your car or a Bazooka tube.
"Alco" sound on a Prius. Heck, I might be able to handle driving one then! Lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Past: 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T "Classic" RIP Old Buddy 6/4/15

The Present: 2016 R/T Scat Pack. Factory Options: B5 Blue, 24G Package(A8), WRT Wheels, and Modern R/T Hood Stripe. Engine HP Mods: None Needed. HC Air Box/Tube; DIPs Screen; BT Catch Can; Mopar front Brace;"TA" style side stripes; Mopar '10 Center Caps
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:23 PM

TA: Yep, 13:1 on pump gas. We're even at 91 octane for premium here in Denver with a 5280' elevation. 93 does no good up here (for most cars anyway.). Engine was pro built. My builder used to be on a Cup team and has learned some mad skills over the years. Went for an N/A 426 as an old school guy. Always lusted for 70 Hemi Cuda but cost is way beyond my means now. Actual cubes ended up being closer to 440 but will always be my 426 Rings are gapped for nitrous but doubt I'll ever go there. E85 might be a consideration down the road but that's as far as I would care to go. Also went thin ring pistons to help keep friction losses down, custom grind cam, high stall torque converter, cat delete & Kooks headers. Built up the OE alum. heads and ported/honed the OE intake with a Hellcat throttle body. I like to do a couple of open track days a year so installed an oil cooling system plus 160 deg. t'stat.

Still fine tuning but builder is confident we should easily see 550 to the ground on his Mustang dyno.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > The Garage: For OTHER car talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode