Who here autocrosses? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Road Course / Autocross This is the place to post road course and autocross stories and event info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Who here autocrosses?

Anyone here autocross their Challenger, or take it to a curvy track or mountain roads instead of the drag strip every now and then? I'm curious to hear what the experience has been like with different trim levels, from the SXT to the R/T, Scat Pack, and SRT models. For those of you who've owned one of the other main competitors (Mustang or Camaro), how does it compare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 05:28 PM

Garage
I do. I love to participate in local events. I had a 2010 R/T 5.7L that I autocrossed. It had the base (Not Super Track Pack) suspension, and it had some pretty noticeable body roll. It was hard on front tires unless I aired them up quite a bit, and it still had a tendency to push. To be fair, I used my summer street tires instead of sticky dedicated autoX tires, but I think more grip would have only made the suspension limitations more noticeable. I did change to Bilstein shocks with SRT springs, along with Mopar sway bars. I regret that I never got to take it to autoX with the upgrades, but the handling difference was noticeable even on the street.

I traded that car in for my 2016 R/T Scat Pack soon after. I have now gotten some experience with this car in the same kind of events, and it is actually really good from the factory. It is definitely more handling focused than my '10 was, which I love. I've actually not felt the need to make any handling upgrades yet, and doing so might change how my car is classed. I might one day, perhaps as factory parts start to wear out.

Unfortunately my experience in the competitor cars is limited. I have not had a chance to drive a 6th gen Camaro yet. I have driven my friend's 2015 Mustang GT (Non performance pack) pretty hard. The platform does feel a bit more nimble, but that car seems to not be set up for hard cornering. I prefer how my Challenger handles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHemi41 View Post
I do. I love to participate in local events. I had a 2010 R/T 5.7L that I autocrossed. It had the base (Not Super Track Pack) suspension, and it had some pretty noticeable body roll. It was hard on front tires unless I aired them up quite a bit, and it still had a tendency to push. To be fair, I used my summer street tires instead of sticky dedicated autoX tires, but I think more grip would have only made the suspension limitations more noticeable. I did change to Bilstein shocks with SRT springs, along with Mopar sway bars. I regret that I never got to take it to autoX with the upgrades, but the handling difference was noticeable even on the street.

I traded that car in for my 2016 R/T Scat Pack soon after. I have now gotten some experience with this car in the same kind of events, and it is actually really good from the factory. It is definitely more handling focused than my '10 was, which I love. I've actually not felt the need to make any handling upgrades yet, and doing so might change how my car is classed. I might one day, perhaps as factory parts start to wear out.

Unfortunately my experience in the competitor cars is limited. I have not had a chance to drive a 6th gen Camaro yet. I have driven my friend's 2015 Mustang GT (Non performance pack) pretty hard. The platform does feel a bit more nimble, but that car seems to not be set up for hard cornering. I prefer how my Challenger handles.
Sweet. I'm looking pretty hard at a pre-owned or used Scat Pack myself when I graduate college and commission into the Air Force next year. But I'm wondering if perhaps I should hold out for an SRT 392 for the extra handling performance. I've heard an SRT's sport mode is pretty good in the twisties.

Of course, if Dodge releases a 426 Hemi for the 2020 50th anniversary of Challenger, this plan is scrapped. No way could I pass something like that up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 01:10 AM

Garage
I haven’t had an opportunity to Autocross, although I would like to give it a try some day. However, I have been seeking up my car for twisty roads and the curves since day one. I prefer that type of driving over straight line myself. I got my car after a Afghanistan deployment the last time I was stationed in Germany. Lots of curvy roads here (stationed in Germany for my third and last time). I live just on the edge of the Black Forrest and the roads are hilly and curvy. And the car is a blast!

I have a 2013 SRT. With front and rear braces, lowered with the Mopar Stage 1 springs, Petty’s Garage bolt on sub-frame connectors and Petty’s Garage front adjustable sway bar with Speedlogix adjustable end links. I also have the same brand/company Parts for the rear sway bar and end links, but haven’t installed them yet. Was waiting for the Speedlogix rear tension arms to come in so that I could do all that work at the same time. I’m on a short deployment right now and the tension arms finally came in. So I am hoping to have those installed in a few weeks after I return. With all the parts on so far and my Nitto 555 G2s (245 front and 315 rears) this car in planted in the corners when keeping on the power and the speed up.

I absolutely love this car and love taking it on twisty roads. Super exciting and fun. I’ve never been in the competitor vehicles at least not since the late 90s, so I can say much as to how they are in comparison. But I don’t really care either. I am so happy with mine and it’ll always be that way. Hope all works out for you... I love my SRT and would say go that route, but I know you can get a Scat Pack, TA or one of the other styles and do upgrades that will be just as good. For the most part it’s only some amenities that make the SRT different and the suspension. So I don’t think you can go wrong either way you chose. When I got mine ne the SRT was the only one that had the 392 at the time and was at the top of the chain, now there are many trims that offer the 392 and the SRT is obviously not the big dog in the Challenger world anymore.

Good luck with your decision and the rest of school. When you are commissioned what will you be doing in the Air Force? I’m an Army guy so I really don’t know how the AF stuff works.

Take care,
Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 Challenger SRT8-Airaid CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Zoomers Cat-Back Exhaust, Mopar Stage 1 Lowering Springs, BT Catch Can, BT under hood dress up kit, Petty’s Garage Front & Rear Sway bar, Petty’s Garage bolt on Sub-Frame Connectors, SX/Razors Edge Front & Rear End Links, SX Rear Tension Arms, SX Front & Rear strut/shock tower braces, Diablo 93 canned tune, Nitto 555G2 (summer)/Motivos (winter)
2008 Chrysler Aspen Limited 5.7L-Airaid CAI, Eibach rear 3” lowering springs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemi1031 For This Useful Post:
BlackHemi41 (06-03-2018), Gila Hemi (03-17-2019)
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi1031 View Post
I haven’t had an opportunity to Autocross, although I would like to give it a try some day. However, I have been seeking up my car for twisty roads and the curves since day one. I prefer that type of driving over straight line myself. I got my car after a Afghanistan deployment the last time I was stationed in Germany. Lots of curvy roads here (stationed in Germany for my third and last time). I live just on the edge of the Black Forrest and the roads are hilly and curvy. And the car is a blast!

I have a 2013 SRT. With front and rear braces, lowered with the Mopar Stage 1 springs, Petty’s Garage bolt on sub-frame connectors and Petty’s Garage front adjustable sway bar with Speedlogix adjustable end links. I also have the same brand/company Parts for the rear sway bar and end links, but haven’t installed them yet. Was waiting for the Speedlogix rear tension arms to come in so that I could do all that work at the same time. I’m on a short deployment right now and the tension arms finally came in. So I am hoping to have those installed in a few weeks after I return. With all the parts on so far and my Nitto 555 G2s (245 front and 315 rears) this car in planted in the corners when keeping on the power and the speed up.

I absolutely love this car and love taking it on twisty roads. Super exciting and fun. I’ve never been in the competitor vehicles at least not since the late 90s, so I can say much as to how they are in comparison. But I don’t really care either. I am so happy with mine and it’ll always be that way. Hope all works out for you... I love my SRT and would say go that route, but I know you can get a Scat Pack, TA or one of the other styles and do upgrades that will be just as good. For the most part it’s only some amenities that make the SRT different and the suspension. So I don’t think you can go wrong either way you chose. When I got mine ne the SRT was the only one that had the 392 at the time and was at the top of the chain, now there are many trims that offer the 392 and the SRT is obviously not the big dog in the Challenger world anymore.

Good luck with your decision and the rest of school. When you are commissioned what will you be doing in the Air Force? I’m an Army guy so I really don’t know how the AF stuff works.

Take care,
Tim

That's a pretty sweet ride, seems like you've got a great setup. I was planning on doing a lot of the same mods. And as of now I've got a combat systems officer slot once I commission, but that could land me in any number of different positions. Navigator, weapons systems officer, or electronic warfare.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 09:05 PM

Garage
That’s cool. Hopefully what you end up with is what you want. Keep us posted on the Challenger you get and the mods you do. Always hit us up for questions.

Later,
Tim

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 03:26 PM

Over the pas 3 years I've owned a 2016 Mustang Ecoboost, a 2017 Camaro 1LT V6, and now a 2017 Challenger R/T. If you plan to track the car, the Camaro is the best bet. The Alpha chassis is lighter and stiffer than the other two. The Mustang is a good balance of performance and usability, and the Challenger is a great cruiser.

I ran a few PDE's and Track Night in America events in my Camaro, and was able to keep up with "faster" cars, despite the power gap.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 06:28 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan040 View Post
Sweet. I'm looking pretty hard at a pre-owned or used Scat Pack myself when I graduate college and commission into the Air Force next year. But I'm wondering if perhaps I should hold out for an SRT 392 for the extra handling performance. I've heard an SRT's sport mode is pretty good in the twisties.

Of course, if Dodge releases a 426 Hemi for the 2020 50th anniversary of Challenger, this plan is scrapped. No way could I pass something like that up.
I run mine pretty hard both locally and at National SCCA events. Is it the BEST car for it....no. Is it the most FUN? YES!! I started off with an SXT with STP 3 years ago. Graduated to my SP 6 months after that. Ran it stock for about a year and now I've done a bunch of suspension mods to it and she handles really well. My opinion is if your serious about making it an autocross/track car save your money and don't get the SRT get a SP instead. It's lighter already and you can put that money towards additional aftermarket parts to make it handle better.

In comparison I've also had the opportunity to drive a 2014 Camaro, 2016 GT 350 and a 2010 GT500. Yes those others are lighter weight and more nimble but the Challenger can hold her own depending on the track/course and driver ability. And it's a blast to drive.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:27 AM

I'd suggest doing the one or two day course at Bob Bondurant in the SRT. You will get quite an experience for what the car can do starting and stopping as well as plenty of autocross and track time. My opinion is that the SRT is a lot of car for about 10% more than an SP and that it is a little lost between the SP and Hellcat and dealers aren't moving them well and are willing to deal on them. My local dealer has a 2018 SRT392 for $41K right now which is $10K less than I bought mine for two years ago and about what they were selling a SP for a the time. Plus, the third suspension setting actually results in a much better daily driving experience. The SP is a lot stiffer. The braking difference is definitely noticeable too. The SRT392 stops as good as it goes.

Autocrossing is a lot of fun, but you will need to do your homework on the rules if you want to be competitive. Acceleration, braking and cornering are all important. Short term, driver experience will matter a lot more than set up. So if you just plan on doing it for fun, what you drive is almost immaterial, IMO. But if you want to do it every weekend, you will probably find out that you need an old Miata lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to 64dartgt For This Useful Post:
Fawls (06-08-2018)
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:42 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64dartgt View Post
The braking difference is definitely noticeable too. The SRT392 stops as good as it goes.
I'd be willing to bet with the pads I have on now I could stop just as good if not better than an SRT. Plus the 6 piston will limit your wheel and tires selection because you won't be able to get an 18" wheel to clear. All depends what your looking for and want to do.

And yes Miatas are better suited to autocross but everyone has one of those. And who wants to be like everyone else?

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Road Course / Autocross

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode