UK Buying guide - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
International For all those outside of the U.S and Canada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
UK Buying guide

Hello,

I am in talks with a guy in Poland who has a challenger 2015. The bloke I am buying it off has a business selling car parts and has another 2 dodges and spends time in Poland and UK. I intent to fly over in a few weeks to view the car and put a deposit down as his mate is going to transport it to the UK (inc in agreed price). I'm just a bit cautious on the car history well just everything in general when it comes to buying from a foreign place. Is there a way i can check if the car has been involved in a crash like we can search over here if the car is cat b/c when it was in the states? I have searched the VIN number to confirm the car. He has sent me the docs that the Tax has been paid in poland.

Once in the UK i will go to collect it with a car trailer and pay the rest of the £s so the car is in my possession but on polish plates.

I would like to take it somewhere to get all the IVA test and registration etc done in a oner.
Any recommendations???

Thanks

Excited i am going to own my dream car ut trying to get my brain rule not the heart and just be cautious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
here is the old ebay listing

Item number 183761763562
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob287 View Post
Hello,

I am in talks with a guy in Poland who has a challenger 2015. The bloke I am buying it off has a business selling car parts and has another 2 dodges and spends time in Poland and UK. I intent to fly over in a few weeks to view the car and put a deposit down as his mate is going to transport it to the UK (inc in agreed price). I'm just a bit cautious on the car history well just everything in general when it comes to buying from a foreign place. Is there a way i can check if the car has been involved in a crash like we can search over here if the car is cat b/c when it was in the states? I have searched the VIN number to confirm the car. He has sent me the docs that the Tax has been paid in poland.

Once in the UK i will go to collect it with a car trailer and pay the rest of the £s so the car is in my possession but on polish plates.

I would like to take it somewhere to get all the IVA test and registration etc done in a oner.
Any recommendations???

Thanks

Excited i am going to own my dream car ut trying to get my brain rule not the heart and just be cautious

In some regions of the world car history is tracked rather well. I'm thinking for instance in the UK with the MOT every so often. And there is another resource of sorts that one can use to know if the car has been involved in some incident and possibly declared a total loss. I seem to recall there are various "categories' but all this is 2nd hand. And you touch upon this so you are aware.

A car from Poland from who knows where it came from before it ended up on Poland I think you'd be darn lucky to find any real history on the car.

What I like to do at least for used cars that come up for discussion is to google the VIN. This often brings up various ads that shed some light on the car's history of where and when it was offered for sale and at what price.

You might try a search using the VIN and see what turns up.

There is another forum that you might find some help with your questions.

Check out www.pistonheads.com. If you are not familiar with this site it is in the UK and I think if there are answers to your questions the answers will be found at Piston Heads.

Specifically in the "Car Buying" section or another place to search for info or ask would be in the "Yank Motors" section.

If you go look at the car before you buy it and you should you need to be prepared to check the car out. Below is something I offer to a used Dodge car shopper:

My general advice is to visit the used car cold, open the hood and check the oil level, leaving the hood open. Give the other vital fluid levels a visual check at least to ensure none are low. If vital fluids are low this could be a warning flag.

In the car start the engine. Be sure all warning lights come on and then go off once the engine has started. Pay particular attention to the CEL. Be sure the A/C is off. You test the A/C later.

Let the engine idle from cold. You want to listen for any signs of ticking/noises or any other signs the engine may not be healthy. A rough idle, backfires, spitting back, anything out of the ordinary.

If available, call up the Performance Pages app and view coolant and oil temperature and pressure and battery voltage. You want these displayed as you get first a test ride then have a test drive.

Get out of the car and walk around the car checking body panel finish, alignment, and gaps. Feel along/under the weatherstripping rubber for any signs of painting tape ridges.

Note the condition of the wheels, looking for any curb rash. Check the tires. Ideally they should be factory sanctioned tires and in good condition. Check the brakes, look at the rotors for signs of damage/excessive wear -- a 1mm lip around the rotor outer diameter of the rotor is a sign the rotors are close to needing replacement.

Check the hood and trunk hinges for any signs the fasteners have had wrenches on them. Check the strut fasteners, too. Check the radiator fasteners for any signs of wrenching.

After some few minutes of the engine idling -- the longer the better -- and with the engine still running ok and sounding ok have the seller take you on a test ride. The route should be around 15 miles long and chosen to give the driver a chance to demo the car as you intend to use it. What is wanted is a mix of city driving with stop and go, steady moderate speed cruising on like a boulevard, and some highway/freeway driving. Ideally there should be some opportunities -- once the engine is up to temperature -- for some rather hard acceleration with the driver starting out from a standstill or a slow roll and accelerating hard up through at least a couple of gears. No need to smoke the tires or try to duplicate the factory's 0 to 60mph time but you want to experience the engine under hard acceleration to verify it pulls good, runs right, and afterwards shows no ill effects from the hard acceleration.

While a passenger of course pay attention to how the transmission shifts, how the car rides, feels. The car should not want to pull to one side or the other and the hard acceleration should give the driver a chance to perform a hard braking. No tire lock up but you want to verify the brakes have plenty of bite and the car tracks straight under hard braking.

With an automatic I recommend having the driver do a k-turn with the engine/transmission cold to see how the transmission reacts to repeated/rapid changes in direction.

After the 15 mile test ride then back at the starting point -- leaving the engine running -- get behind the wheel and drive the car over the same 15 mile test route and drive it pretty much the same way although since the car is unknown to you you can dial back on the hard acceleration test. You don't want to let the car get away from you and wrap it around a telephone pole.

And with the engine/transmission now up to temperature you do the k-turn to once again see how the transmission reacts to repeated/rapid changes in direction.

Don't skimp on the road test. The road test is important.

You want to really experience the car in its natural state: engine running and on the road. All cars generally look good on the lot. But it is how they look and run and feel and sound and smell on the road, or after being on the road, that really matters.

After your 15 mile test drive then at the starting point if you still like the car confirm all systems work. From the head lights to the tail lights. From the horn to the back up camera (if fitted). The A/C. Check all the controls. The wipers. Everything.

At this point if you still like the car and believe you can buy it for a good price -- based on your market research -- it is good idea to arrange to have the car given a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) by a tech who is qualified to evaluate the car. A Dodge dealer tech can be used. These guys evaluate trade ins all the time.

'course, in your case being in Poland a qualified tech to give the car a pre purchase inspection is probably not available. Still if possible it would be nice to have the car lifted so you can look at the underside of the car using a bright flashlight you brought with you to look for any fluid leak: radiator, water pump, really any hose, tube, connection, o-ring, gasket, seal. You also look for any signs of damage or signs of repair (newer hardware or hardware with obviously a different patina).

Be aware and adjust your price accordingly that the car probably needs some attention. Unless the seller can supply paper work the services are current. If not then and depending upon the miles the car has on it, assume services like oil/filter, maybe the fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, brake fluid flush/bleed, possibly even plugs; could be due.

Tires should be in good condition but if not if the tires are worn unevenly budget for an alignment assuming wear is not severe enough to suspect the car's bent. In this case you don't want an alignment you want to walk away from the car.

Remember these things: Price is not fact only an opinion. And there is always another car. If you find something negative about this car don't feel you have to buy it. There is another car out there you'll like just as much if not more than this one and it won't have any negatives.

Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I was more getting at is there any where in the USA i can check. As thats where it as spent most of its life. He has told me he imported it June 2018. Market price/research...these cars..... well i have never seen one in the UK thats how rare they are, i imagine poland is less tax than us in the UK to import a challengers here would cost me an extra £10k (tax and shipping fee) pretty much add 33% on the price of the car.

It has less than 20k miles so ill be expecting mint condition to be honest. Just being cautious as never been through the process of buying abroad.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:09 AM

Hi Rob287

The bay listing number is no longer valid, would probably need a link to the listing. I think I can remember that car in Poland, a black one if I remember, also seem to remember it was overpriced.

On another note are you sure you need an IVA test if the car is already registered in Europe, I thought you simply paid some VAT, got an MOT and then simply applied for a U.K log book (using the Polish Log Book, Customs NOVA certificate, your insurance, ETC)

As for rare these cars are not that rare here, there are at least five within 20 miles of me and I live in the deepest, darkest West Country

Regards

Dereck
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
mmmmm you may be right. As the car is registered in Poland an EU country so importing it to the UK (Currently an EU country) would it need doing? Ill do some research but i think it will just need registering in the uk
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I was more getting at is there any where in the USA i can check. As thats where it as spent most of its life. He has told me he imported it June 2018. Market price/research...these cars..... well i have never seen one in the UK thats how rare they are, i imagine poland is less tax than us in the UK to import a challengers here would cost me an extra £10k (tax and shipping fee) pretty much add 33% on the price of the car.

It has less than 20k miles so ill be expecting mint condition to be honest. Just being cautious as never been through the process of buying abroad.

A google search of the VIN can sometimes turn up interesting things. Whether you in the UK can without some work get a VIN search to include USA sites I don't know.

If you have a contact in the US you can use maybe he/she can do the VIN search for you and supply you with a link to the search results.

CarFax can supply a report on the car with I believe a VIN. You'll have to pay for this report though. CarFax is not perfect so if the report comes back "clean" that's not 100% guarantee the car is in fact 100% "clean".

As for another source of the car's history, I do not know if Dodge dealers share a common database of servicing of vehicles. This question or something like it has come up before but I can't recall the details.

If you can find out the USA selling dealer and where the car spent some time -- CarFax is pretty good about giving up this info -- you can call the selling dealer service department and ask about its servicing history. Or call dealers in the areas the car spent some time. Avoid trying to learn anything about the previous owner(s). Dealers are generally real touchy about being asked to divulge any info about any previous owners.

Just keep your questions on the car and its history.

Have to point out what servicing was done some years back counts for less and less as time goes by. The condition of the car today counts for more. Try to learn what you can about the car if you want but you should try to arrange to give the car a thorough used car check out before you put any money down or buy the car.

Added: Just spotted this link:

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice...ull&category=U

You might be able to learn some more about the car you are considering.

Last edited by Rockster; 05-16-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
hello, thanks

well i done a VIN search on a site and came up with previous owners, a dealer in Phoenix so i emailed them and they actually responded saying all they did was oil service and changed the wiper blades and nothing out the ordinary when they sold in 2016. It had 12k miles on it at that point and the report says it sold for $55k how true that is i dont know. Now the car has just under 20k miles

Last edited by Rob287; 05-17-2019 at 03:16 AM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE

Turns out he has imported it but has been driving it on trade plates so it is not registered in Poland. So would have to go through IVA etc
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:26 AM

Hi Rob287

Quote:
UPDATE

Turns out he has imported it but has been driving it on trade plates so it is not registered in Poland. So would have to go through IVA etc
Dude be very careful he has all the relevant documentation for this car or you WILL NOT be able to register it, you will need a NOVA certificate form Customs & Excise to say all the tax has been paid, an American title document and Shipping documents if available, also make sure the car has a VIN sticker on the drivers door without this you will never get an IVA certificate, had a customer buy a car without the VIN sticker once, I had to get one made up at a local Sign Writing company

Out of curiosity what year is this car? My 2012 SRT8 with 15,000 miles on it only cost £2000 to ship from Fort Worth, Texas and another £6500 in taxes

Regards

Dereck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Regional Forums > International

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode