2019 Scat Pack Widebody front rotors - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2019 Scat Pack Widebody front rotors

Why do the rotors for the front brakes on my brand new car only have 4 slots in each? The rear brakes have more slots. Aside from the brakes, I’ve already decided to do the CDV delete, Skip shift eliminator, and a muffler delete/replace with dynomax race bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:02 PM

Thanked 3,669 Times in 2,758 Posts
Not sure why but that's the new design front 6-piston rotors for 2019, and if you order OEM replacement rotors they will be these same new rotors, the old style with more vent slots apparently discontinued. The rear rotors stayed the same as last year and before.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2016 SRT 392 - Billet Silver, Black Stripes, A8, Tech Group ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slidd For This Useful Post:
Redaftrp (04-14-2019)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:28 PM

The 6 slot rotors are better. The 4 slot rotors don’t have the pulsation at the brake pedal that the 6 slot ones have. I’ve driven the 4 slot rotors on the Scat Pack Wide Body and there’s no brake pedal pulsation. The braking feels very smooth just like glass. The multiple slotted rotors on the regular Scat Pack without the Wide Body also have this pulsation. The Wide Body rotors don’t.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:29 AM

Thanked 3,669 Times in 2,758 Posts
What pulsation and vibration? 20,000 miles on the old style 6-piston rotors and still smooth like day one. They probably changed them for some reason but not because of pulsation or vibration imho.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,292 Times in 2,517 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidd View Post
What pulsation and vibration? 20,000 miles on the old style 6-piston rotors and still smooth like day one. They probably changed them for some reason but not because of pulsation or vibration imho.

I wonder if due to the larger pad / swept area with the 6 piston pad, the additional slots of the earlier design didn't have any advantage. And with less machining, it was fewer steps in making those rotors.

The rears are the 4 piston Brembo setup and smaller swept area.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:42 AM

Garage
One possible explanation is the front rotors are not as affected by water when it rains thus fewer slots. If so reducing the number of slots saves a bit on manufacturing costs.

OTOH, the rear rotors are still affected by water when it rains -- in part by water kicked up by the front tires -- and thus the rear rotors kept their higher number of slots.

My Boxster's brakes seemed to be unaffected by water even after a wash but my Turbo's brakes, which were substantially larger, were affected by water. Kind of weird to when leaving the car wash and apply the Turbo brakes and experience the initial lack of brake bite. The Boxster rotors -- front and rear -- were not drilled or slotted. The Turbo front rotors were drilled. The rear rotors were not.

I'm sure too the holes in the Turbo front rotors helped at other times, too though, not just in wet conditions. Large brakes with a lot of pad area can under hard braking develop a layer of gas that forms between the pad and rotor surface. Holes/slots allow this gas to be removed so the pads can make better contact with the rotor.

Thus in the case of the WB the front pads/rotors due to better cooling due to the location do not run as hot thus do not develop the gas and therefore require fewer slots. However, the less ideal location of the rear brakes has them running hotter and the higher number of slots deemed necessary.

Have to say though the above would could only be known by some road coarse testing and I really find it hard to believe Dodge would bother, would go to this trouble, as these cars are not sold with the idea they are road course track cars. A video of a Hellcat on the Nurburgring track had the brakes "gone" due to heat towards the end of the run and from this it is clear the brakes are not intended to withstand the demands of close road course use. Which raises the suspicion that any slots/holes in the brake rotors is probably more for "show" than "go".

Not sure even slots/holes would help. The Hellcat is while very powerful and capable of high track speeds the brakes though large are still under sized. To fit brakes that would allow the Hellcat to keep its brakes over a long high speed track run would probably require larger brakes and probably something more "exotic" than cast iron rotors. I'm thinking something along the lines of ceramic composite brakes something similar to what Porsche fits to its cars.

But you think the rotor replacement cost of the Hellcat brakes is high now... Just price a set of PCCB rotors. Oh my!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:36 AM

Prob. extends pad life a little too. Less "cheese grater" effect with fewer slots. I've been seeing a few super cars coming out with no slots or holes at all.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Only reason I ask, is I plan on replacing them with Powerstop Z26s when I get a bit more cash. I hate the amount of dust these things generate. Does anyone know why that setup for this car is a grand when the same size rotors on a mustang are $350? Only difference is the rotors are two piece on this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode