Brakes and Rotors - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:59 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyahouse View Post
We understand you did some research and spoke to some people "in the business." I believe you and your integrity is not in question here. However, I would recommend that you contact Centric (800-758-3004) and Powerstop (888-863-4415) and simply ask them. Though they are competitors and not partners, they are both reputable companies and no doubt will tell you what they told me. Powerstop does not rebrand anybody's rotors and sell them with the Powerstop logo on them. They were emphatic in telling every product that carries the Powerstop name is designed, tested, manufactured, and distributed by Powerstop alone. The old adage "right from the horse's mouth" goes a long way here.

I wish I had a dime for every time somebody that I considered reputable and knowledgable gave me false information. I'd be a rich man by now. For example I was told a couple years ago by several reputable shops that a two-piece rotor like mine could not be turned on a brake machine. One fella went on to explain that he'd been doing this 30 years and listed off the names of the brake machines he'd used through the years in several shops he'd worked in. But I found out later that there are indeed shops that can and will cut these two piece rotors, and do a great job at it as well. So much for all the guys I talked to who claimed to know what they were talking about, had years of experience to back it up, but were simply WRONG about the concept of being able to turn a 2 piece rotor.

You said that it is "common knowledge that installing with a pro-cut lathe is the best practice." This lathe may be simply amazing, I don't question your words here. But it's certainly not common knowledge on this forum and it wasn't common knowledge with the brake shops I spoke with personally. I would defer to the collective here to comment on this, but I've never read about it on these pages. My Dodge dealer told me they cut the rotors right on the car. But they didn't mention what KIND of brake lathe they used. Could you shed a little light here on just what a Procut lathe is and whether or not this is used at better Dodge dealers? That would be interesting for sure.

I worked in tool and die shops most of my life. I made a lot of money doing things that other guys said couldn't be done. That was not only the "specialty" of the shops I worked at, but it often fell to me to figure out a way to do the "impossible." I'm starting to digress here, but the point was that just because several knowledgable people make a claim, that doesn't always make it so.

Oh, and concerning your warped rotors, I agree that after THAT many miles, even the best of rotors can and will have issues.
Despite your condescension being quite palpable, I'll still respond.

Installing with a lathe that mounts to the plane of the rotor, on the car (hub), is best practice. Pro-Cut is one of the main options for this type of lathe. I'll save you the four seconds google searching... here is their site:

https://www.procutusa.com/

They have at least one competitor. I am sure that Dodge uses something similar, if they use a car-mounted lathe. These machines are VERY expensive for most rinky-dink shops, and so you're not going to find one at a "Joe's Muffler" shop.

This is absolutely the best practice, when installing rotors and/or pads, to ensure that they are mounted and cut while being mounted to the hub. I am sure that if you look around on these forums, you'll find quite a bit of information regarding this subject, as I did several years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to acidfingertips For This Useful Post:
GreeninTN (05-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:21 PM

https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/pro-cut-centres/

thats what EBC has recommended for years.

My GWE in the For Sale section!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:56 PM

Probably too late to help our OP on this one, as this thread is 3 weeks old by now, but just came across a screaming good deal: best I've seen in the nearly two years I've spent looking:

DBA rotor rings for 6 piston Brembos: as of today listed at 317.00 each. That's amazing.

THMotorsports CLICKY HERE

https://quote.thmotorsports.com/1985...72B35528641529
The Following User Says Thank You to garyahouse For This Useful Post:
Alien Cop (06-04-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hello All,

I got DBA Brake rotors and DBA650 Brake pads, No Squealing, and 2 piece slotted + drilled rotors work really well. I also Installed Supercar G2 tires: 305 on the rears and 285 fronts. They work great. No rubbing on the roads and it bites the road so well. Thank you guys. I will post pictures soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Alien Cop; 06-04-2019 at 01:12 AM.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Cop View Post
Hello All,

I got DBA Brake rotors and DBA650 Brake pads, No Squealing, and 2 piece slotted + drilled rotors work really well. I also Installed Supercar G2 tires: 305 on the rears and 285 fronts. They work great. No rubbing on the roads and it bites the road so well. Thank you guys. I will post pictures soon.

Congrats on a good choice. Sure beats getting killed at the dealerships. Couple questions for ya:
1. Did you get the complete two piece rotor assemblies or just the rotor rings?
2. Where did ya get them?
3. How much were they?
4. What kind of pads are the DBA650... ceramic, semi-metallic, etc?

... and one last item: forgive if ya already posted this, but how many miles on your factory rotors? Ever check the actual thickness? Just curious
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Congrats on a good choice. Sure beats getting killed at the dealerships. Couple questions for ya:
3. How much were they?

... and one last item: forgive if ya already posted this, but how many miles on your factory rotors? Ever check the actual thickness? Just curious
I got just the rotor rings.
Brake pads: https://www.carid.com/dba/xp650-trac...-db8513xp.html

Rotors: https://www.topbrakes.com/c/item/DBA...BoCRiUQAvD_BwE

3. How much were they?

Rotors were $800 but if you look online you get even cheaper. As cheap as $650-700

DBA 650 .

Please feel free if you have more questions.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback. This is exactly why we have this forum. Information like this helps us all to know where to get things and how much it will cost. Many fellas are reaching the point where they need to think about replacing these rotors. Our latest, posted up on another thread recently was here: CLICKY This is from THMotorsports.com
Current advertised price was 634.00 at the time of that post. However I was told by the company of a way to potentially save even more money. I posted up on this thread: CLICKY 2

Just posting this here so that others might get a great deal too.

Also wanted to ask, did the rings come with the new bolts to attach them with? Did they come with instructions including torque specs and etc?

Thank you again.
The Following User Says Thank You to garyahouse For This Useful Post:
Alien Cop (06-21-2019)
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. This is exactly why we have this forum. Information like this helps us all to know where to get things and how much it will cost. Many fellas are reaching the point where they need to think about replacing these rotors. Our latest, posted up on another thread recently was here: CLICKY This is from THMotorsports.com
Current advertised price was 634.00 at the time of that post. However I was told by the company of a way to potentially save even more money. I posted up on this thread: CLICKY 2

Just posting this here so that others might get a great deal too.

Also wanted to ask, did the rings come with the new bolts to attach them with? Did they come with instructions including torque specs and etc?

Thank you again.
Hello again,

I used the stock rings. There were no instructions that I could find in the box, however, there are tons of video on youtube how to put dba brake rotors. They are super responsive and easily available on dba_rotors on instagram. Mike is the representative from USA who will help you getting everything done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode