Cleaning up mud flaps? Paint? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here. Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Cleaning up mud flaps? Paint?

I took my Mopar mud flaps off my 09 today. I've always washed them every time I washed the car, coated them with Meguiars tire black to keep them from looking washed out. They always looked like brand new. Until now...

I would like to know, if I scuff them up w/ a light sanding and paint them, WHAT paint to use that isn't going to peel off in a couple months? They are black but they're looking more like a gray-ish black. Would any spray paint work? Would I be better off getting a 3M paint or high temp paint? Has anyone done this before?

I also have some small HEMI stick on badges that I'm thinking of attaching along the bottom of the flaps and covering with a couple coats of Clear. Again, has anyone done anything like this?

The flaps aren't cheap... I don't want to dish out another 100 or so for a replacement set.

Thanks!! I'm confident someone here will be able to guide me thru this..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 06:28 PM

Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,429 Posts
I'm sure those can be painted, but I'd rather not do this with trim that's flexible and so exposed to chips, rashes, dings, etc. Have you tried Mother's Back to Black? http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-06108-Back-Black-Trim/dp/B0002U1TXK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
I have so much fun driving to and from work that the actual speed doesn't matter that much (Can't afford tickets anyway). Unless you are tracking your car on a regular basis, does it really matter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy View Post
Every day is a gift and nobody guarantees you anything.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I haven't tried Mother's. I just don't want to be scrubbing them every time I wash the car. It seems like the unfinished flaps attract everything. There's no sheen to them and anything just sticks like glue. I've been using the Meguiars stuff that smells like grapes. It works for a few weeks then back to scrubbing.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

iamawild1 - 2014 R/T Shaker #0368
Phantom Black - Custom Black Cherry Metal Flake Ghost Stripes
6X Transmission - Skip Shift Eliminator
730N - Chrome Hood Pins - R/T Valve Stem Caps
Various additional badging added
RRP Electronic Exhaust Cut Outs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Join us in the Hole In The Hood social forum here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shaker #0368

Last edited by iamawild1; 02-28-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 04:50 PM

Yeah, I've been doing the Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant myself on all the lower trim, and you gotta keep applying it every few weeks on a daily driver. Bit of a chore, but I have to spray detailer and polish the paint anyway so it's not like it's any better for me. Maybe Aerospace 303 would be better/longer-lasting.
I wouldn't know how to prep correctly and paint that type of material, but it's done all the time (with plastidip too) and I'm sure that someone will have tips on that for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to USRWDV8 For This Useful Post:
iamawild1 (03-01-2014)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I've tried the Mother's black.. coated them real good and let them dry in the house for 2 days. Then I started swishing them in a sink of soapy car wash water. In/out/Dry, etc... it didn't last very long before it all washed off and the flaps started looking dull/black/washed out.

I found a new Krylon Paint -- Fusion. Its made for plastic with no sanding, priming, etc. I'm going to give one a couple coats today and do the same thing as above. Worst that can happen? I go buy another set. If it works, then I'm bringing a little bit of my 09 R/T with me to the new Shaker.

the testing goes on...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 AM

New flaps are pretty cheap
The Following User Says Thank You to 3boystoys For This Useful Post:
Danner (03-05-2014)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

The flaps run about 50 per axle. I can think of better things to throw 100 towards... sequential tail lights, cat back, etc...

So far... I lightly scuffed them up with a drywall sponge after washing them for 50 times. Took any remaining wax/polish/conditioner off without gouging the flap. 1st coat of the new paint is on. They do look good so far. The Fusion paint is guaranteed not to crack, peel... we will see. I really have nothing to lose.
The Following User Says Thank You to iamawild1 For This Useful Post:
USRWDV8 (03-05-2014)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 01:58 PM

you could wrap them in vinyl as well...im doing all my black undertrim in 3m dinoc carbon fiber white...dont have mud flaps but sure it would work...it has an outdoor life of 5-7 years and dirt comes right off it...just an idea
The Following User Says Thank You to da-rza For This Useful Post:
iamawild1 (03-05-2014)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I hate black plastic trim but the automakers (especially GM) love it. I found the Optimum Opti-Seal works great and is semi permanent. At first I thought it was just another failure but I found if I kept applying coats to the CLEAN black trim until the trim stayed black after drying it works great and stays that way for many dirty/wash cycles.

2015 Hellcat incoming - finally picked up 10/10/15

2009 Challenger SRT8 - gone
2010 Jeep GC SRT8
11 GMC Sierra Ext Cab, LB
69 Pontiac Grand Prix 428
The Following User Says Thank You to waumo For This Useful Post:
iamawild1 (03-05-2014)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 06:21 PM

In the Challenger's case the concept's lower trim was body-colored, but the designers realized that the car was much chunkier than the classic it was modeled after so they wisely went with black to give it a slimmer profile. Still thick-looking, but a little better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode