Forged vs Cast wheel? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Forged vs Cast wheel?

I enjoy my ‘18 SP (6.4/A8/Dynamics) on the street. No drag strip, gymkhana, or road course.

The OEM 20x9.5 wheels on my ‘18 SP (6.4/A8/Dynamics Package) are forged. I’m looking at my options for a wheel that can be used for a full-size spare and for winter tires. Brembo 6-piston brakes mean a steel wheel is not an option.

Question: What’s the downside to using a cast wheel (e.g., Replica from Discount Tire)?

jzink0883
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:31 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
None.. But a fullsize spare is over kill IMHO.

I haven't had flat in years. Even if I do I have plug kit and fix a flat kit. Lastly I have a great roadside assistance.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

2017 Charger Scat Pack R/T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi57 View Post

I haven't had flat in years. Even if I do I have plug kit and fix a flat kit. Lastly I have a great roadside assistance.

Agree! Honestly I don't remember the last time I had a flat (just jinxed myself LOL) to the point where I needed to call for help. But to some, a spare is piece of mind

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,886 Posts
Garage
A less expensive cast wheel will be fine for a full size spare. A forged wheel, however, will be less susceptible to cracking under impact, have better fatigue properties, and have less unsprung weight.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi57 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierA View Post
Agree! Honestly I don't remember the last time I had a flat (just jinxed myself LOL) to the point where I needed to call for help. But to some, a spare is piece of mind
Thanks for the feedback. Plans for our new ‘18 Scat Pack include a lower-48 retirement tour, coast-to-coast runs (e.g., U.S. Route 20, I-90), and perhaps border-to-border runs (e.g., U.S. Route 41).

As the son of a belt-AND-suspenders father, the plan is to bring:
- full-size spare in back seat
- tire-plug kit
- compressor & goop
- maybe even a compact spare, too
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Discount Tire replied to me via a Private Message (see blue text below). Between their reply to this thread and the customer service I’ve received at my local Discount Tire store (Elgin, IL), I’m impressed! (No affiliation)

Hi, jzink0883-

I hope your week is going great!

First and foremost, thank you for giving us the opportunity to earn your business! We know there are lot of options to choose from in the tire and wheel space, so thank you for that!

Second, as others alluded to in your thread, for your uses as well as for standard daily use, the cast Replica wheels we offer are more than sufficient. All the wheels we sell meet or exceed JL standards for street use in the USA.

If we can help arrange an order order for you or if you have any questions for us to field please don't hesitate to reach out - we'l make sure you're taken care of!

I hope this message finds you well; thank you for your time!

-Matt

0% - Deferred Interest Financing | Discount Tire

See Wheels on Your Vehicle | Discount Tire

Feel free to leave any feedback for our forum team by following the link below!

Give us feedback[/QUOTE]
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzink0883 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Plans for our new ‘18 Scat Pack include a lower-48 retirement tour, coast-to-coast runs (e.g., U.S. Route 20, I-90), and perhaps border-to-border runs (e.g., U.S. Route 41).

As the son of a belt-AND-suspenders father, the plan is to bring:
- full-size spare in back seat
- tire-plug kit
- compressor & goop
- maybe even a compact spare, too
Good luck! Also, this is one of the best investment I've made and take on my road trips. Battery life is good for over 15 wheel changes. I have 5 Gorilla locks on each wheel and this puppy takes them off like they were just hand tight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	946871  
The Following User Says Thank You to JavierA For This Useful Post:
jzink0883 (06-06-2019)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:11 PM

No downside to using a cast wheel in this case

***Mention You Are From The Forum For The Best Deals***

Phone: (818) 362-2300
E-Mail:

IG: @BDWheels
FB: /BlaqueDiamondWheels
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
jzink0883 (06-13-2019)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:51 AM

Garage
For a full sized spare I'd just get another wheel just like is on the car. In the event of a flat tire and having to use the spare you want to lose nothing in fitting the spare. The tire should be the same tire too.

Up to you if you want to fit a TPMS to the spare wheel. I'm thinking it might interfere with the 4 sensors. My full sized spare tire experience was before TPMS was available so I never had to deal with this.

The few times I have a used a full sized spare -- with another car -- I only used the full sized spare long enough to allow me to continue on to a town/city where I could get a suitable replacement for the flat tire and then get the full sized spare off the car and back in trunk.

I did not bother to include the full sized spare in the tire rotation. It was just a spare, but a full sized one so I did not to deal with the limitations of a space saver spare tire and its IIRC 50mph and limited range.

With the full sized spared I could drive the car as I wanted to. But I did realize that with the spare in use I had no spare tire so like I said above with the spare fitted it was to allow me to proceed at full speed (so to speak) to where I could get a replacement for the flat tire and get the spare back in the trunk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockster For This Useful Post:
jzink0883 (06-13-2019)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,886 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
For a full sized spare I'd just get another wheel just like is on the car. In the event of a flat tire and having to use the spare you want to lose nothing in fitting the spare.
You can buy an exact replacement at a salvage yard for a great price. Check out this national database.

http://www.car-part.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in