Opinion - BC Coilovers? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Opinion - BC Coilovers?

I'm going back and forth between buying a used SRT 392 and installing KW coilovers (to keep the stock adjustable shocks) or buying a used or new Scat Pack and installing BC Coilovers which include new shocks too. Both will lower the car plenty for my tastes, a 1.5-2 inch drop is all I want.

Going with the Scat and BC seems like the cheapest option, but how does the ride height and ride quality compare to the SRT with KW's? I'd like to be able to adjust the car for a fairly comfortable but still responsive ride on the street, and tune it for a more aggressive ride whenever I take it to the track or on some twisty roads.

Also, side note, I know both the 245's on the stock Scat Pack and the 275 Pirellis on the Dynamics package and the SRT are not great tires, but will I need to increase my rear tire size on a 392 to really put power down? Or just get better tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan040 View Post
I'm going back and forth between buying a used SRT 392 and installing KW coilovers (to keep the stock adjustable shocks) or buying a used or new Scat Pack and installing BC Coilovers which include new shocks too. Both will lower the car plenty for my tastes, a 1.5-2 inch drop is all I want.

Going with the Scat and BC seems like the cheapest option, but how does the ride height and ride quality compare to the SRT with KW's? I'd like to be able to adjust the car for a fairly comfortable but still responsive ride on the street, and tune it for a more aggressive ride whenever I take it to the track or on some twisty roads.

Also, side note, I know both the 245's on the stock Scat Pack and the 275 Pirellis on the Dynamics package and the SRT are not great tires, but will I need to increase my rear tire size on a 392 to really put power down? Or just get better tires?
I have a 2015 SRT on KW HAS system. They are not exactly like say the BC's. Yes, there is an adjustable spring perch with the SRT KW's but it's also adjusting the spring preload. That is why you can only lower so far with the SRT and KW's. Think of it as having some adjust-ability with lowering springs. There is about an inch and a half to play with. A true coilover like the BC's you set the preload of the spring then adjust the height by moving the whole assembly up and down with a threaded shock body. I went too low with mine and it didn't ride so good. Moved up some and it rides close to stock. Sport mode seems to have the best control. Way more adjust-ability with a true coilover but do you really need that level of adjustment. That depends on what you plan to do with the car. With that said, don't cheap out with coilovers. I would stick with KW or some of the other better brands. BC's are a hit or miss. Coilovers also tend to make more noise as they don't have rubber top hats like most OEM top hats. Can and most likely will be clunky but they can be rebuilt. Been there, done that. As far as the cheaper option, that's a relative question. KW's for the SRT are $550. A good set of coilovers will set you back $2k+. Then install on top of that if you can't do it. I have the Firestone 500's at 275 all around and they do fairly well on a street car but bigger would definitely help. A 245 tire is a funny joke on a 392 car. The SRT also has the 6 piston brakes. They are also heavy and not cheap to replace. Maybe not so good for drag racing but I can also pull over 1g braking! Road racing this 4500lb car, 6 piston. Drag racing/ street car, maybe not the better choice. For me, the SRT was the better choice. I actually paid less for my used SRT than most of the SP's I looked at. The Mopar tax is very real in the aftermarket. I would suggest really thinking about and plan your parts list before you decide on which model car to go with. Be honest with yourself about what you will do with the car. Street with a drag race here and there? Street car and drag strip twice a week? Mostly a weekend play/race car? That should help you decide where to spend your money. Hope that helps.

2015 SRT 392. Just getting started.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
Quote:

I have a 2015 SRT on KW HAS system. They are not exactly like say the BC's. Yes, there is an adjustable spring perch with the SRT KW's but it's also adjusting the spring preload. That is why you can only lower so far with the SRT and KW's. Think of it as having some adjust-ability with lowering springs. There is about an inch and a half to play with. A true coilover like the BC's you set the preload of the spring then adjust the height by moving the whole assembly up and down with a threaded shock body. I went too low with mine and it didn't ride so good. Moved up some and it rides close to stock. Sport mode seems to have the best control. Way more adjust-ability with a true coilover but do you really need that level of adjustment. That depends on what you plan to do with the car. With that said, don't cheap out with coilovers. I would stick with KW or some of the other better brands. BC's are a hit or miss. Coilovers also tend to make more noise as they don't have rubber top hats like most OEM top hats. Can and most likely will be clunky but they can be rebuilt. Been there, done that. As far as the cheaper option, that's a relative question. KW's for the SRT are $550. A good set of coilovers will set you back $2k+. Then install on top of that if you can't do it. I have the Firestone 500's at 275 all around and they do fairly well on a street car but bigger would definitely help. A 245 tire is a funny joke on a 392 car. The SRT also has the 6 piston brakes. They are also heavy and not cheap to replace. Maybe not so good for drag racing but I can also pull over 1g braking! Road racing this 4500lb car, 6 piston. Drag racing/ street car, maybe not the better choice. For me, the SRT was the better choice. I actually paid less for my used SRT than most of the SP's I looked at. The Mopar tax is very real in the aftermarket. I would suggest really thinking about and plan your parts list before you decide on which model car to go with. Be honest with yourself about what you will do with the car. Street with a drag race here and there? Street car and drag strip twice a week? Mostly a weekend play/race car? That should help you decide where to spend your money. Hope that helps.
I didn't know about the clunkiness of aftermarket coilovers, that's definitely something for me to think about.

How much wheel gap do you have on your SRT after lowering it 1-1.5 inches?

I mostly intend this car to be my daily driver, but I would like to do some road racing and drag racing occasionally. I want to get rid of the 4x4 look (God knows why Dodge springs them so high from factory), but I heard that a simple pair of lowering springs can put strain on other parts of the suspension which will make them have to be replaced sooner. So, I thought a full set of coilovers might actually be cheaper in the long run.

Yeah, the Mopar tax is annoying. Not nearly as much aftermarket support compared to Ford and Chevy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:55 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I don't have experience with the KW adjustable springs(but assume good things from my experience with KW V2 coilovers) but I currently have BC Coilovers on my Scat Pack.

I've had zero issues with my BCs and love them, almost as much as I did my V2s on first challenger. Almost just because I liked the spring rates on the KWs more, but could change when I get Swift springs for my BCs. I haven't had any clunkiness (same with my V2s for 2yrs) and with the adjustable dampening ride has been firm for track and comfortable for daily driving. I'm riding quiet a bit lower than what you plan on doing. With the BCs, front preload is preset, and shouldn't be adjusted. The rears, due to the unmarried setup, may need adjusting depending on how low you want to go.

I had considered the KW adjustable springs but read a couple forum posts here and on other pages about the ride being somewhat bouncy if you went too low. But if you stay within the 1in-1.2in drop recommendation, I read they were great with the SRT adaptive suspension
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2541.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	943425  

2017 Destroyer Grey 392 Scat Pack Shaker 6spd
StainlessWorks Catless mids, 180 T-stat, BC Coilovers, CMR tune by Johan

RIP 2012 R/T Pitch Black 6spd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods:
Ported 392 SRV Manifold, JBA Longtube Headers, Custom Heartthrob exhaust, Speedlogix Carbon Fiber CAI, 180 T-stat, KW Stage 2 Coilovers, CMR Tune by Johan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMDhemi View Post
I don't have experience with the KW adjustable springs(but assume good things from my experience with KW V2 coilovers) but I currently have BC Coilovers on my Scat Pack.

I've had zero issues with my BCs and love them, almost as much as I did my V2s on first challenger. Almost just because I liked the spring rates on the KWs more, but could change when I get Swift springs for my BCs. I haven't had any clunkiness (same with my V2s for 2yrs) and with the adjustable dampening ride has been firm for track and comfortable for daily driving. I'm riding quiet a bit lower than what you plan on doing. With the BCs, front preload is preset, and shouldn't be adjusted. The rears, due to the unmarried setup, may need adjusting depending on how low you want to go.

I had considered the KW adjustable springs but read a couple forum posts here and on other pages about the ride being somewhat bouncy if you went too low. But if you stay within the 1in-1.2in drop recommendation, I read they were great with the SRT adaptive suspension
Your ride looks great, probably just a *tad* low for my taste, maybe just about an inch higher is what I want to go for.

How easy is it to adjust the dampening on either the BC or KW coilovers? I assume you have to jack the car up, but do you have to remove the tires? The attractive thing about the KW system that keeps the stock adjustable shocks is that it's easy to adjust the feel from just the screen on your dash. But I've heard some people say that the ride becomes too "bouncy" with those
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:04 PM

I have a full set of BC’s on my ‘08 Charger and they have held up well for over 100k. Miles......... I would definitely buy and install them again.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:57 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Your ride looks great, probably just a *tad* low for my taste, maybe just about an inch higher is what I want to go for.

How easy is it to adjust the dampening on either the BC or KW coilovers? I assume you have to jack the car up, but do you have to remove the tires? The attractive thing about the KW system that keeps the stock adjustable shocks is that it's easy to adjust the feel from just the screen on your dash. But I've heard some people say that the ride becomes too "bouncy" with those
No need to jack up car. The top of the struts and shocks have a dial knob you turn to adjust dampening. So easily accessible from hood. Trunk can be a little annoying without extenders, because you'll have to pull back the trunk liner. Thankfully the BCs came with them, KWs didn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode