Paint Rotors? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Paint Rotors?

I just bought my Scat Pack a few weeks ago with 26K mi and I believe it has the OEM rotors. I noticed they have rusted around the hub area where they're painted grey. They have also started to squeak (possibly due to glazing) so I am going to replace them with Powerstop Z26 rotors and pads. Should I be concerned with these rusting as well? I'm considering painting them but I'd prefer not having to do so. Thanks for any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:01 AM

Garage
Those rotors are zinc coated and shouldn’t require painting, I installed them on my 2016 scat Pack and they stayed nice and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Redaftrp For This Useful Post:
rauldanger (05-20-2019)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redaftrp View Post
Those rotors are zinc coated and shouldn’t require painting, I installed them on my 2016 scat Pack and they stayed nice and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad they stayed clean without having to paint them and I did read that they are zinc coated but it does say that the hub area is not so that's the part I'm worried about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldanger View Post
...Scat Pack... with 26K mi... They have also started to squeak so I am going to replace them with Powerstop Z26 rotors...
Thought I'd comment on just this one item. Why would you want to replace your factory rotors with only 26k on them? Are they undersize or damaged in some way? Why not just have them turned? Once they're trued up a little, they should work like new again.

Do you have the stock 4 piston set up, or the upgrade 6 piston Brembo's? And are we talking about all 4 brakes or just the front?

You didn't mention why you chose Z23's. We're familiar with these pads, but we're not familiar with you and what you will be expecting from them.
The Following User Says Thank You to garyahouse For This Useful Post:
rauldanger (05-20-2019)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyahouse View Post
Thought I'd comment on just this one item. Why would you want to replace your factory rotors with only 26k on them? Are they undersize or damaged in some way? Why not just have them turned? Once they're trued up a little, they should work like new again.

Do you have the stock 4 piston set up, or the upgrade 6 piston Brembo's? And are we talking about all 4 brakes or just the front?

You didn't mention why you chose Z23's. We're familiar with these pads, but we're not familiar with you and what you will be expecting from them.
The main reason I want to replace the factory rotors is because the hub area has oxidized quite a bit on all four but other than squeaking during light stopping, they work fine. I have the 4 piston set up and although I could turn them and I suppose remove the rust and paint them, I figured I may as well replace them with some better looking (in my opinion) slotted and drilled rotors.

I'm actually looking into the Z26 kit. This car is my daily driver but I do drive it hard from time to time. From my understanding, the Z26's are a good option for DDs since they don't produce as much brake dust as OEM pads and are fairly comparable in stopping power.

Thanks for your comment and concerns. Given my circumstances, do you think It's a good idea to swap out my factory rotors?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7222.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	946055  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:39 PM

Thanked 4,373 Times in 2,881 Posts
I wouldn’t replace the rotors. Clean them up, paint them, and bed in the brakes.

The Following User Says Thank You to wasp392 For This Useful Post:
rauldanger (05-20-2019)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:41 PM

Also isn’t recommended to turn slotted rotors. I’m not saying it can’t be done but experts say not to. IMO stay away from drilled rotors.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp392 View Post
Also isn’t recommended to turn slotted rotors. I’m not saying it can’t be done but experts say not to. IMO stay away from drilled rotors.
Thanks for your input wasp392. Any insight as to why you prefer the factory rotors or why staying away from drilled ones may be a good idea?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:40 AM

Paint Rotors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldanger View Post
Thanks for your input wasp392. Any insight as to why you prefer the factory rotors or why staying away from drilled ones may be a good idea?

From experience. Had dedicated sets for racing for years. Never had any issues.
The reason I dislike drilled rotors are due to cracks develop over time. Have you ever seen what happens when the rotors break into pieces? It can be fatal. Seriously. Just not worth the risk no matter slim. Just one of the more reasons to stay away from them.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hot...ed-rotors/amp/

Last edited by wasp392; 05-21-2019 at 08:18 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:14 AM

I painted mine on all 3 Challengers. I couldn’t stand the ugly gray and rust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7AB91E6-342E-424E-A449-193CA8CB2D07.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	709.0 KB
ID:	946059  
The Following User Says Thank You to SRT8 Mike For This Useful Post:
rauldanger (05-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Tags
brakes , paint , powerstop , rotors , squeak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode