Persistent Brake Squeal - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here. Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,365 Times in 990 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Ugh, I don't normally like to take part in the age-old approach of throwing parts at a problem in the hopes something will fix it, but I'm losing my ever-loving mind on this one.

I can get a remanufactured rear caliper for $100 here locally, and I replace the whole unit, that should either fix the problem or once again rule out that much more than cannot be the problem. Although after that, I don't know what else could even be replaced or fixed to address this squeal...

But do I really want to spend the rest of my weekend messing with the otherwise fully functioning brakes on this car, that is the question...

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Ugh, I don't normally like to take part in the age-old approach of throwing parts at a problem in the hopes something will fix it, but I'm losing my ever-loving mind on this one.

I can get a remanufactured rear caliper for $100 here locally, and I replace the whole unit, that should either fix the problem or once again rule out that much more than cannot be the problem. Although after that, I don't know what else could even be replaced or fixed to address this squeal...

But do I really want to spend the rest of my weekend messing with the otherwise fully functioning brakes on this car, that is the question...
The answer is "no, I do not." So I shant. I've finally got my stereo system sounding pretty good, so I'm just going to keep it cranked to drown out the brake squeal. The car stops fine, let others deal with the noise, I'll be busy rocking and rolling!
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:27 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Thanked 1,047 Times in 872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
The answer is "no, I do not." So I shant. I've finally got my stereo system sounding pretty good, so I'm just going to keep it cranked to drown out the brake squeal. The car stops fine, let others deal with the noise, I'll be busy rocking and rolling!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ M6 (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
The Following User Says Thank You to ChallyTatum For This Useful Post:
Nuke (04-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
A friend of mine who at one time was a rep for a performance brake company once told me that his wife, who happened to have a performance car would often complain that the brakes were squealing, he would take it for a drive (re-bed them!) and give it back to here all quiet again... until next time! His explanation was as they were performance brakes and she was just using the car as a daily driver the brakes were glazing over and just needed to be re bedded to be all good again. Food for thought?

It is just something I have always bared in mind regarding brakes but I don't think this is your problem, that rear caliper needs to be ruled out as the problem, good luck it is a very frustrating problem for you so far.

2016 SRT 392, A8, Granite Crystal.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawls View Post
A friend of mine who at one time was a rep for a performance brake company once told me that his wife, who happened to have a performance car would often complain that the brakes were squealing, he would take it for a drive (re-bed them!) and give it back to here all quiet again... until next time! His explanation was as they were performance brakes and she was just using the car as a daily driver the brakes were glazing over and just needed to be re bedded to be all good again. Food for thought?

It is just something I have always bared in mind regarding brakes but I don't think this is your problem, that rear caliper needs to be ruled out as the problem, good luck it is a very frustrating problem for you so far.
That left rear caliper is likely not long for this earth...I checked my local Mopar parts online store (web front for dealership parts department; why can't they sell the parts from the counter at the same reasonable prices?), and I can get a reman caliper from them for $80 or so. So if I end up replacing that puppy, I'll go with one of those Mopar reman units.

On a more esoteric note though, I've been going over and over this problem in my head all night. I just cannot envision how that caliper (or one of its associated parts) is vibrating at a high frequency and causing the squeal under the conditions in which I hear the sound. I have no doubt it is, I just cannot wrap my mind around how it's doing it. Soooooo, I've got an experiment lined up for the Bacon Hauler's brakes today, and if it goes well, I will not only come away with a better understanding of how those brake components work together to put the Whoa-down on the car, but hopefully I'll also come away with the answer as to what's causing the noise, and thus what needs to be fixed to stop it.

Stay tuned, I'll post up the outcome of the sciences I do today; hopefully they will be good'ner a sum-beech!

(and if no further posts are seen from me, it can be assumed that my sciences went bad and severely injured or killed me, in which case i'm going to need somebody to make sure some good old Jason Boland and the Stragglers is played at my funeral!)
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I've had a similar issue before. Do you have the CRC antisqueal spray or squeeze bottle? The spray works much better. You can spray the entire back sides of the pads, let them sit for 10 minutes and your good to go.

I have also had issues with replacement shims that came with new pads. Try swapping back to your stock shims and see if that fixes it.

Also check the pads and surface area of the rotors to see if there is any unusual spots. Sometimes brake pads have a small chunk of compound that didn't get grinded down properly.

Lastly and most importantly.. Bed the shit out of the pads. Get those puppy's hot and then ride around without stopping so they can cool. You need to get the pads to transfer material to the rotors.

Side note - Rock auto sells Wagner brake rotors for our cars. They are cheap and very high quality. They also are painted black on the inside and look better than stock. May be worth looking into..

2015 Scat Pack
8-speed auto, Mopar stage 1 performance springs, DFS wickerbill, StopTech stainless brake lines, PowerStop high-carbon rotors, Petty's Garage front/rear adjustable sway bars and front/rear four point strut braces
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:23 AM

Garage
Excessively or unevenly worn pads on a caliper is a good sign pressure is not being applied evenly. Since the same master cylinder feeds all brake calipers and their pistons and assuming a brake line isn't pinched/crimped -- which could result in the caliper getting less pressure -- suspect #1 has to be one piston in the caliper is binding for some reason and if a multi-piston caliper one of the pistons isn't doing its fair share work.

The portion of the pad against which this incorrectly operating piston pushes against experiences little use and thus little wear while the other portion of the pad against which the correctly operating piston pushes is doing all the braking and while show a lot of wear.

I really have to stress I think it really not a good reflection upon Dodge that it doesn't schedule for periodic brake system flush/bleeds. It lists service intervals for much less safety critical items but to not call for a brake fluid flush/bleed is just crazy.

A result is a fair amount of these cars are going to manifest brake system issues related to letting the fluid remain in service too long.

As I'm sure I have mentioned my previous cars were Porsche cars and Porsche called for 2 year brake (and with manual transmission equipped cars in which the clutch hydraulic system shared brake fluid with the braking system) and clutch fluid flush and bleed services. I know from 1st hand experience in just 2.5 years the fluid deteriorates to the point clutch action is affected. While braking action wasn't affected the degraded fluid (and getting worse with each passing day) would almost certainly had some negative impact on the brake hardware. I note I put 317K miles on one car and while I replaced the pads/rotors a number of times I never had any trouble with the rest of the braking system or clutch hydraulic system.

Attention Dodge car (and truck) owners: Every 2 years flush and bleed the brake hydraulic system!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockster For This Useful Post:
BlackHemi41 (04-21-2019)
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:50 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Thanked 1,047 Times in 872 Posts
I remember reading an article that said if the squeaks go away when you apply more braking force then adding about a 1/8" chamfer to the leading edge of the brake pad will prevent the following end of the back from wanting to lift...or something along those lines. However, I though all pads nowadays have chamfered leading and following ends?

Last edited by ChallyTatum; 04-21-2019 at 06:46 PM.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:05 PM

Garage
Hopefully, you used new brake hardware when you changed the pads. The rotor surface finish should also be addressed. Rotors should have a non-directional finish which can be applied with an pneumatic powered tool and an abrasive disk. You may also want to consider checking for runout and correcting any issues with an on the car rotor lathe like a Procut. Squeal usually occurs from metal to metal vibrations when the brakes are lightly applied. I usually use silver anti seize paste on the packs of the pads and if shims are used on the back of the shims. Anywhere metal comes in contact with metal, I put a dab of anti seize paste on these areas. Just don't overdue it and make a huge mess or get the paste on the friction surface.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,937 Posts
Garage
Squeal you say? it is the Bacon Hauler...are you sure it's not a...nah, couldn't be

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
ChallyTatum (04-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode