Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums (https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension (https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f79/)
-   -   Understanding wheel and tire fitment. (https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f79/understanding-wheel-tire-fitment-671401/)

skynyed 06-03-2019 03:21 PM

Understanding wheel and tire fitment.

Looking to upgrade the rims on my 2019 pcp shaker and I'm unsure of a few things. Hoping someone can clear things up.
I've decided I want 5 spoke chrome rims and was hoping I can just have someone local swap over the tires and tmps sensors.
From what I can gather I currently have 20x8 5x115 bolt pattern and I assume a +20 offset.
Some web sites say 5x114.3 bolt pattern will fit/ others say no?
If I go with say 0 offset they'll push the rims out about 3/4 inch? Probably not ideal.
Can I go with a 8.5 or 9 inch rim and still safely use my stock 245s?
Pvd chrome? Better than plain chrome?
Here's a few sites I've been looking at.
Thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Ok the links didn't show up but I'm considering Foose legends, AR torq thrust, Vision Legend 5 and
20x9 Rocket Racing Modern Muscle Booster Chrome MMR14
American Racing
AR605 Torq Thrust M
20 X8.5 5-115.00 18 CSCHXX
Foose Legend Chrome Wheel - 20x8.5

trippytro 06-03-2019 05:29 PM

Understanding wheel and tire fitment.

Consider sticking with the 5x115 . Not every manufacturer makes that drill pattern however, if you are ordering the wheels direct from the manufacturer, they have the tooling to do it if they have 114. You can either have your tire/wheel guy call and ask or call yourself. I used to sell wheels and sometimes they dont list the bolt pattern.

The alternative, drill out the 114’s to 115. Scary to drill brand new wheels but once you get over that fact, you’re golden.

Plenty if companies make 115 patterns appropriate for our cars, look in Bravado i think they have a chrome 5 spoke design.

Please do not put anything skinnier than a 9” wheel on your car. You’re shrinking your contact patch by doing that. I would highly recommend going to even 9.5 if available. Should be able to re-use your current tires, as well as upgrade to wider ones in the future if you like

Jimmy N. 06-03-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trippytro (Post 8479065)
The alternative, drill out the 114’s to 115. Scary to drill brand new wheels but once you get over that fact, you’re golden.

Okay, I'm curious. Without a good mill and the correct bits, how would you accomplish that on wheels with conical seats?

skynyed 06-03-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trippytro (Post 8479065)
Consider sticking with the 5x115 . Not every manufacturer makes that drill pattern however, if you are ordering the wheels direct from the manufacturer, they have the tooling to do it if they have 114. You can either have your tire/wheel guy call and ask or call yourself. I used to sell wheels and sometimes they dont list the bolt pattern.

Plenty if companies make 115 patterns appropriate for our cars, look in Bravado i think they have a chrome 5 spoke design.

Please do not put anything skinnier than a 9” wheel on your car. You’re shrinking your contact patch by doing that. I would highly recommend going to even 9.5 if available. Should be able to re-use your current tires, as well as upgrade to wider ones in the future if you like

Yeah I'm just curious because some websites like Carid for ex. say the 114.3 fits and other websites say it wont.

Slidd 06-03-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skynyed (Post 8479107)
Yeah I'm just curious because some websites like Carid for ex. say the 114.3 fits and other websites say it wont.

It fits as long as the wheel bore is over 71.5mm and the lug nut studs bend slightly to fit the wheel holes, not ideal by any means but many do it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jimmy N. 06-03-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slidd (Post 8479113)
It fits as long as the wheel bore is over 71.5mm and the lug nut studs bend slightly to fit the wheel holes, not ideal by any means but many do it.

Heat treated, then bent wheels studs, combined with losing the hub centric qualities of the wheel sounds like a great combination. But yes, people do jump off bridges, too.

Thankfully, not all that many do it.

skynyed 06-03-2019 07:55 PM

I see.... Think I'll stick with the 115 then.

trippytro 06-03-2019 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skynyed (Post 8479125)
I see.... Think I'll stick with the 115 then.

Yeah even if it is marginal and it has been argued many times here. If anything its the piece of mind at the very least.

skynyed 06-04-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slidd (Post 8479113)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Will an 83mm wheel bore be too big on a 115 bolt pattern?

stevewhiteparts 06-04-2019 10:32 AM

people use the 5 on 4.5 all the time, however, you will most likely get a constant nibble from the wheels and tires, something that drive me nuts, since the wheel most likely will sit over center ever so slightly
Luke