Understanding wheel and tire fitment. - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here. Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Ronan978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 319
Thanks: 94
Thanked 67 Times in 54 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Understanding wheel and tire fitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
I thought the wheels on the challengers were hub-centric and not lug-centric. If they were lug-centric then the wheels will sit 0.35mm offset (assuming only stud and lug were perfectly aligned).
All wheels on lx’s are lug-centric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
They are hub centric, thankfully. That should keep the wheel running true even when using the wrong bolt pattern, making all five studs bend by the same amount.

With the wrong bolt pattern, if not using the correct center bore, or an indexing ring, then tightening the lug nuts like some do, the wheel can end up running a bit crooked since not all five studs will be bent equally.

I don't see why it would be considered okay to run the wrong bolt pattern, even if it "works". To me that's a bit like pouring the wrong oil in the engine. It fits through the filler hole, and the engine will probably survive, but why not use the right stuff?
Lx wheels are lug-centric , the will never have full weight on the hub, ever. Just so you’re aware the amount of deflection between studs is only .35 mm. So minimal you will not notice and nothing will be crooked. If you go outside and take a caliper to your studs themselves, you will see variances as large and sometimes larger than the amount of said deflection. Your so called 14mm studs measure anywhere from 13.7-14.2 making some .5mm off. Now go ahead and measure the gage across the studs. Again you will see tolerances up to and bigger than said deflection. Don’t believe me , go ahead outside and measure. Then get back to me. There is a thing called tolerance, we’re not talking about engine internals here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
Heat treated, then bent wheels studs, combined with losing the hub centric qualities of the wheel sounds like a great combination. But yes, people do jump off bridges, too.



Thankfully, not all that many do it.

Conjecture is a disease.........

Op , 5x114.3 will fit fine on your 5x115 hub. Just don’t whale home the first stud you tighten. You want to tighten them a little at a time , similar to a head. For the record , I’ve been running them over 20k and never had an issue , a wobble , a nibble , nada .....



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ronan978; 06-05-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Ronan978 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronan978 For This Useful Post:
trippytro (06-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Jimmy N.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 456
Thanks: 353
Thanked 124 Times in 102 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan978 View Post
For the record , I’ve been running them over 20k and never had an issue , a wobble , a nibble , nada .....
Well, shoot. The OP should get an LX, then.

And I'll just wonder why the manufacturers bother with making wheels with better than close-enough bolt circle tolerances.
Somebody should make them aware that they're wasting time and money by having different wheels for different bolt circles.

2018 Challenger
2019 Challenger
Jimmy N. is online now  
post #23 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 824
Thanks: 87
Thanked 170 Times in 132 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To be fair, I have also read about people having their wheels fall off when running 5x114.3 wheels on a car meant for 5x115 - due to lugs snapping. Granted, most of the time you'd be fine, but there is always a chance of lug failure when running with incorrect wheels - and they are incorrect - that's why they are listed with a different size to begin with. If it really didn't matter, they they would just label them all the same. :-)

I'm not positive about this, but I have always heard that cars like this are hub- *and* lug-centric, which makes sense. The lugnuts are shaped in way where they help center the wheel when they are tightened - and the wheel does fit over the hub, right? So wouldn't that be hub- *and* lug-centric? It's not like our lugnuts are the old "flat" style that don't center the wheel as they are tightened...
jtrosky is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Ronan978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 319
Thanks: 94
Thanked 67 Times in 54 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
Well, shoot. The OP should get an LX, then.



And I'll just wonder why the manufacturers bother with making wheels with better than close-enough bolt circle tolerances.

Somebody should make them aware that they're wasting time and money by having different wheels for different bolt circles.


Same platform and hubs todd.....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ronan978 is online now  
post #25 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Ronan978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 319
Thanks: 94
Thanked 67 Times in 54 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
To be fair, I have also read about people having their wheels fall off when running 5x114.3 wheels on a car meant for 5x115 - due to lugs snapping. Granted, most of the time you'd be fine, but there is always a chance of lug failure when running with incorrect wheels - and they are incorrect - that's why they are listed with a different size to begin with. If it really didn't matter, they they would just label them all the same. :-)

I'm not positive about this, but I have always heard that cars like this are hub- *and* lug-centric, which makes sense. The lugnuts are shaped in way where they help center the wheel when they are tightened - and the wheel does fit over the hub, right? So wouldn't that be hub- *and* lug-centric? It's not like our lugnuts are the old "flat" style that don't center the wheel as they are tightened...


My weld wheels have a far bigger center bore than 71.3. They center on my lugnuts.
See what I wrote about the measurement and tolerances of your already existing studs and stud gage. They vary quite a bit. I use hubcnetric rings on my other 5x114.3 wheels to assist with centering until the lugs take over when torqued.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ronan978 is online now  
post #26 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:38 PM
Supporting Vendor
 
stevewhiteparts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NEWTON, NC
Posts: 11,399
Thanks: 1,755
Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,064 Posts
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
They are hub centric, thankfully. That should keep the wheel running true even when using the wrong bolt pattern, making all five studs bend by the same amount.

With the wrong bolt pattern, if not using the correct center bore, or an indexing ring, then tightening the lug nuts like some do, the wheel can end up running a bit crooked since not all five studs will be bent equally.

I don't see why it would be considered okay to run the wrong bolt pattern, even if it "works". To me that's a bit like pouring the wrong oil in the engine. It fits through the filler hole, and the engine will probably survive, but why not use the right stuff?
most wheels that are the wrong bolt pattern are also the wrong eccentric.......

THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH US
WE WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD!!!!!!
PLEASE VISIT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FOR THE BEST MOPAR PARTS PRICES ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

828-324-4410
800-779-3634

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stevewhiteparts is online now  
post #27 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:41 PM
Supporting Vendor
 
stevewhiteparts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NEWTON, NC
Posts: 11,399
Thanks: 1,755
Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,064 Posts
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
we would never install the wrong bolt pattern or the wrong eccentric, simply too much liability and we would not recommend it, can you get away with it, probably, but your in a 4200 lbs car that makes easily 400+ hps, why risk it, simply not worth it

Luke
stevewhiteparts is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to stevewhiteparts For This Useful Post:
Jimmy N. (06-05-2019)
post #28 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Ronan978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 319
Thanks: 94
Thanked 67 Times in 54 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewhiteparts View Post
we would never install the wrong bolt pattern or the wrong eccentric, simply too much liability and we would not recommend it, can you get away with it, probably, but your in a 4200 lbs car that makes easily 400+ hps, why risk it, simply not worth it



Luke


Of course you guys wouldn’t , and I wouldn’t blame you because of idiots out there like that irrit8ted guy who won’t take accountability for their own actions. But , the tolerances are all there. Imo it would be worse to put a 305 on 9.5” wheel than to put a 5x114.3 on our 5x115.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ronan978 is online now  
post #29 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:05 PM
Senior Member
 
trippytro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 766
Thanks: 196
Thanked 99 Times in 87 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can we stop rehashing a topic that has been on multiple forums/threads.

There is a reason Dodge uses 5x115 from the factory if that piece of mind isnt enough and you’re really dead set on a set of 5x114.3’s then understand the risks and bite the bullet.
trippytro is offline  
post #30 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Senior Member
 
ChallyTatum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Posts: 4,486
Thanks: 447
Thanked 1,047 Times in 872 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan978 View Post
All wheels on lx’s are lug-centric
Lx wheels are lug-centric , the will never have full weight on the hub, ever.

I thought the difference between lug and hub-centric was whether the hub bore supported the full weight of the vehicle but rather how the tire is centered to the hub when mounted?

Hub-centric uses the hub diameter to center the wheel (i.e. when tire is mounted it does not sit on the lugs).

Lug-centric means tire hub is smaller than wheel center bore and when the wheel is mounted to the hub it rests on the lugs.

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/turk-...wheel-fitments
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/h...vs-lug-centric

When I mount wheels on my challenger, the wheel rests on the hub and not the lugs...hence hub-centric.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ M6 (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)

Last edited by ChallyTatum; 06-05-2019 at 03:09 PM.
ChallyTatum is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChallyTatum For This Useful Post:
GSBrockman (06-09-2019), Jimmy N. (06-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome