Understanding wheel and tire fitment. - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here. Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Understanding wheel and tire fitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
I thought the difference between lug and hub-centric was whether the hub bore supported the full weight of the vehicle but rather how the tire is centered to the hub when mounted?

Hub-centric uses the hub diameter to center the wheel (i.e. when tire is mounted it does not sit on the lugs).

Lug-centric means tire hub is smaller than wheel center bore and when the wheel is mounted to the hub it rests on the lugs.

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/turk-...wheel-fitments
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/h...vs-lug-centric

When I mount wheels on my challenger, the wheel rests on the hub and not the lugs...hence hub-centric.

They do not rest on the hub. They rest on the torque of lugs. When you you torque/tighten your lugs , your wheels center on the lugs and not on the hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ronan978; 06-05-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM

They should "rest" on the hub, if the wheel and vehicle match, on a hub centric vehicle.
That takes care of the wheel being perfectly centered on the hub.

The clamping force provided by the lug nuts keeps the wheel from rotating on the hub, and keep the wheel from falling off.

Those are really two different things on modern vehicles, where on some older ones there were cases where the wheel studs and nuts had to do both jobs.

2018 Challenger
2019 Challenger
post #33 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:26 PM

When I put the wheels on my car, before I even put a lugnt on, the wheel lug holes in the wheel are not even touching the lugs, so the lugs can't be centering anything at that point - the wheel is already centered because it's resting on the hub... Then when I tighten the lugnuts, it also helps center the lugs in the wheel lug holes "perfectly". This is why I say they are hub- and lug-centric. Both the hub and the lugnuts play a part in centering everything.

This is assuming that you are either a) using OEM wheels with the correct center bore size or b) using aftermarket wheels with correcly-sized hubrings.

I think if you are using the correct wheels, they absolutely do use the hubs to center themselves - and then the lugnuts center the lugs in the wheel lug holes even furhter. If you are using incorrect wheels, then maybe they are lug-centric, but not correctly-sized OEM wheels.

My wheels certainly do not "hang" off of the lugs when I put them on - they rest on the hubs, which centers them.
The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post:
Jimmy N. (06-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:38 PM

Wow , this isn’t a debate. Chrysler vehicles are lug centric. Go outside , pull your wheels off. Take off your center caps. Put your wheels on. Tighten your lugs , your wheels WILL center on the studs and lift off of the hub. They are lug centric. The weight of the vehicle DOES NOT sit on the hubs.
Hub centric vehicles will have hubs so tight even the slightest rust around the hubs and the wheels won’t fit. Why is this so mind boggling?

post #35 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
When I put the wheels on my car, before I even put a lugnt on, the wheel lug holes in the wheel are not even touching the lugs, so the lugs can't be centering anything at that point - the wheel is already centered because it's resting on the hub... Then when I tighten the lugnuts, it also helps center the lugs in the wheel lug holes "perfectly". This is why I say they are hub- and lug-centric. Both the hub and the lugnuts play a part in centering everything.

This is assuming that you are either a) using OEM wheels with the correct center bore size or b) using aftermarket wheels with correcly-sized hubrings.

I think if you are using the correct wheels, they absolutely do use the hubs to center themselves - and then the lugnuts center the lugs in the wheel lug holes even furhter. If you are using incorrect wheels, then maybe they are lug-centric, but not correctly-sized OEM wheels.

My wheels certainly do not "hang" off of the lugs when I put them on - they rest on the hubs, which centers them.

Again wow , 60* conical lug nuts are used to center the wheel. They won’t be centered until torqued. Weld wheels are all lug centric, they sell for all makes. If you buy welds for a hub centric vehicle you WILL have to buy lug centric adapters to mount them. But I suppose weld racing has no clue either. Oh , yeah , my welds need no adapters .... hmmmmm

post #36 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan978 View Post
Wow , this isn’t a debate. Chrysler vehicles are lug centric. Go outside , pull your wheels off. Take off your center caps. Put your wheels on. Tighten your lugs , your wheels WILL center on the studs and lift off of the hub. They are lug centric. The weight of the vehicle DOES NOT sit on the hubs.
Hub centric vehicles will have hubs so tight even the slightest rust around the hubs and the wheels won’t fit. Why is this so mind boggling?

This.

Lets wrap it up guys
The Following User Says Thank You to trippytro For This Useful Post:
Ronan978 (06-05-2019)
post #37 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytro View Post
This.

Lets wrap it up guys

Thank you , and please let’s wrap this up. I really didn’t want to start what turned into a debate about actual fact. My apologies to the op and to the others who are too stubborn to learn. I don’t mean to have a rotten demeanor, I just prefer facts over conjecture. Again, my apologies

post #38 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:21 PM

Amazing.
post #39 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
Amazing.
X2............

2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket, Quick Order Package 28Q, Driver Convenience Group, Sound Group II, 5.7L HEMI and 8HP Automatic, Power Sunroof, and UConnect 4C w/NAVI.
post #40 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:21 AM

Glad we’re clear

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode