Understanding wheel and tire fitment. - Page 8 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:27 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
I have always heard hub centric meant the center hole was a near exact match to the hub on the car. Not that the hub supported the weight, just that the wheel would center on it as there was not play for it to do otherwise.

https://www.americastire.com/learn/h...vs-lug-centric

A Guy
Agreed - and this is the way that I've always understood it as well. I think this whole debate may boil down to how people define "hub-centric" and "lug-centric". To me, these terms have nothing to do with what supports the weight of the car - only what centers the wheel on the car - hence the "centric" part of the terms. :-)

I think that that page that @A Guy linked to is the most "direct", "easy to understand" definition of "hub-centic" and "lug-centric" - assuming it's correct (although, it's from a wheel/tire business, so I'd think that they know what they are talking about on the subject). :-)

I did send a question into Dodge via their website yeterday. We'll see if I get a response...

Last edited by jtrosky; 06-07-2019 at 04:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Agreed - and this is the way that I've always understood it as well. I think this whole debate may boil down to how people define "hub-centric" and "lug-centric". To me, these terms have nothing to do with what supports the weight of the car - only what centers the wheel on the car - hence the "centric" part of the terms. :-)

I did send a question into Dodge via their website yeterday. We'll see if I get a response...
Yep, that's the bottom line, and I'm sorry for having brought up that the weight could be carried by either centering method.
I thought it'd be an easy way to explain "hub centric", but it only lead to more confusion.

If Dodge responds, I think we all know what what the answer is already.

2018 Challenger
2019 Challenger
post #73 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
Yep, that's the bottom line, and I'm sorry for having brought up that the weight could be carried by either centering method.

I thought it'd be an easy way to explain "hub centric", but it only lead to more confusion.

I sure know what dodge will say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:23 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Exactly, that is also how I interpreted the meaning of hub centric. Again it is the definition that is really in question. BTW did not get a chance to check the OEM wheels but will try again later today. I will also take measurements of the wheel bore and hub boss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
post #75 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
BTW did not get a chance to check the OEM wheels but will try again later today. I will also take measurements of the wheel bore and hub boss.
I have wheels laying around, so I can easily measure a few. They should all be the same.
post #76 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I have wheels laying around, so I can easily measure a few. They should all be the same.
I measured the wheel (don't remember offhand as I wrote it on a post-it) just not the hub. My intent is to take an image of the lug after the wheel has been seated on the hub. I know for a fact that my demon FR wheels do not sit on the lugs when mounted...just don't recall if the OEM ones do as well?

I should be able to get to it today. I have a buddy with a mustang coming over to install headers so while he is taking off the old system I will be adjusting my parking brakes...really need to as I have a manual.

Last edited by ChallyTatum; 06-07-2019 at 10:03 AM.
post #77 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Quick fact : stud diameter and gage(space between studs)can both vary .3mm both ways. So at the greatest there can/will be up to .6mm differences and at the least they will be equal. This was on my charger before I changed any wheels. Point is , there are tolerances allotted.

post #78 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Having been in retail tire sales for many years prior to 2010, it just came to me that The Tire Rack has a lot of valuable educational resources.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech....jsp?techid=91

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?tab=Wheels

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2505E181-C5BF-4D25-93F5-6982DC8D95E9.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	946939  

2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket, Quick Order Package 28Q, Driver Convenience Group, Sound Group II, 5.7L HEMI and 8HP Automatic, Power Sunroof, and UConnect 4C w/NAVI.
post #79 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan978 View Post
There is no debate , nothing to question , where are you lost ? Go outside , do what I said , then come back. If seeing is not believing, there is no helping you.

Well, I brought out my factory wheel and rather than measure diameters (hub boss is ~71.40mm in diameter....caliper won't fit in the wheel so no measurement) I decided to mount it without the lugs and video the lug/holes to confirm the wheel does not sit on the lugs but on the hub boss. So I am pretty confident the OEM wheels are considered hub-centric.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChallyTatum For This Useful Post:
GSBrockman (06-09-2019), Jimmy N. (06-09-2019)
post #80 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBrockman View Post
Having been in retail tire sales for many years prior to 2010, it just came to me that The Tire Rack has a lot of valuable educational resources.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech....jsp?techid=91

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?tab=Wheels

Yeah, I posted links earlier in the thread as well but it didn't seem to help the debate. That's why I posted the vid with the wheel sitting on the hub...no lugs...and the wheel lug nut holes are pretty darn near centered (i.e. wheel sits on hub...not the lugs). I hope this ends the debate, the OEM wheels are hub-centric. Now if you want a vid of lug-centric just wait for me to take off my aftermarket wheels on my liberty.

BTW what is your response after being in the tire retail biz and seeing the vid?

Last edited by ChallyTatum; 06-09-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode