Z23 Powerstop - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Z23 Powerstop

So I installed the Z23 Powerstop front kit on my 2015 SXT w/ STP performance brakes etc. Now the pedal feels spongey and
I have alot of pedal travel. When doing the install I uncovered the brake fluid reservoir
After the rotors and pads were installed I pumped the brakes a bunch of times then recapped reservoir
no fluid lost. I have 350 miles on mew pads and rotors they dont seem like a huge improvement over stock pads amd rotors
But the pedal is so mushy? Any suggestions? Should I change brake fluid? The Car has 43k miles and I am sure it is still the original brake fluid.
Any help would be great

Thanks
Jason

2015 Dodge Challenger SXT w/ stp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,355 Times in 2,569 Posts
Garage
probably have the fluid replaced, flush and bleed brakes - that may clear up that symptom.

Since you probably have original fluid, likely dark color (presence of moisture absorption) and fresh fluid would be a good idea

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Is this hard to do? It Seems messy? And my question is do they have a machine that sucks it out of reservoir ? Maybe doing the install myself was a bad idea? Dealer quoted me $723 for new front brakes. $186 Amazon Prime drilled slotted powerstop Z23 front kit
I paid my mechanic friend $100 to R n R pads and rotors. The pedal is to mushy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:22 PM

Took my SRT Challenger to Brakes Plus and supplied my own DOT5.1 fluid. They did a complete flush and fill in a half hour and charged me $45. Don't waste your time doing it yourself. They have all the equipment and experience. I would replace your fluid with DOT4 while you're at it. OE is typically DOT3.

Last edited by MiHiHemi; 02-16-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,355 Times in 2,569 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Is this hard to do? It Seems messy? And my question is do they have a machine that sucks it out of reservoir ? Maybe doing the install myself was a bad idea? Dealer quoted me $723 for new front brakes. $186 Amazon Prime drilled slotted powerstop Z23 front kit
I paid my mechanic friend $100 to R n R pads and rotors. The pedal is to mushy....
Have it done by a shop - the proper way is using the correct (electronic) tool to cycle the ABS pump (there's redundant brake lines) to push the old fluid out of that part of the system.

It ran me ~ $125 for a fluid flush / replace and bleed at the dealer. I do this every two years on all my vehicles
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
So I installed the Z23 Powerstop front kit on my 2015 SXT w/ STP performance brakes etc. Now the pedal feels spongey and
I have alot of pedal travel. When doing the install I uncovered the brake fluid reservoir
After the rotors and pads were installed I pumped the brakes a bunch of times then recapped reservoir
no fluid lost. I have 350 miles on mew pads and rotors they dont seem like a huge improvement over stock pads amd rotors
But the pedal is so mushy? Any suggestions? Should I change brake fluid? The Car has 43k miles and I am sure it is still the original brake fluid.
Any help would be great

Thanks
Jason

Never pump the brakes with the cap off. Time to bleed the brakes as you now have air in the system. Start at the right rear, then left rear, then right front, then left front. Make sure to keep the reservoir full and the cap installed!!

'10 Challenger R/T Classic
Flowmaster Force II cat back, K&N branded CAI with Amsoil dry synthetic filter, Diablo Predator 91 CAI tune,
Mopar '11+ IAT sensor, Mopar hood struts, RPI stealth guards, R/T spoiler emblem

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
So this is when I say to myself maybe I should have had the dealer just charge me the $723 I was quoted then move on. During My last oil change @ Dealer they said you need front brakes $723 total. So I researched on here and alot of people like the Z23 powerstops relatively inexpensive $186.00 on Amazon prime free shipping had my mechanic friend install. When I read about the install it said uncap the brake reservoir during install but after I should have capped it then pumped the brakes? With thick New pads I should have less pedal travel? #$?!§¥£ !
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:29 PM

most likey you have air in the system. proper brake bleed is all thats needed here.. two person job, some spare new fluid, less than a hr. not hard.
after reading stopping distance reviews on another forum (which i guess we cant mention on here), Id never run powerstops pads..yes they cut down on brake dust but from all accounts they also increased stopping distance by some 30-40ft..60-0. which could be the difference between a scary near miss, or a very bad day.

2015 Mods:
Hellcat Intake w/ AEM hi-flow filter.
GenPartsCo-USA D.I.P.S. air catcher screens.
Axis Model II's.
Firestone Indy 275/40/20
Rolling Thunder Reso delete.
Exteremevinyls side marker tints.
GPC Trunk Pull Handle.
Spare/Jack/Foam Delete.
GPC Phantoms.
Mopar O.E. Black Fuel Door.
Hellcat OE. ABS Cover.
Rear Seat Delete.
2014 Dodge Viper Seats.
Custom Fire Extinguisher & Mount.
The Following User Says Thank You to hemi4us For This Useful Post:
Wizard of Iz (06-09-2019)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Do I need to bleed the rears? If The front brakes are the ones I replaced and had the pistons compressed?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 09:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Definitely sounds like you have air in your system.
Your brake fluid should be replaced around every two years, just do (or get done) a full flush, once you are doing it there is not much more work to do them all and you should start with the rears anyway, furthest first and work your way back to the shortest line.
I have a bleeder that I use that sucks the fluid through so I don't need to touch the brake pedal, shops do it this way as well, new fluid, no air!

2016 SRT 392, A8, Granite Crystal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode