CA Lawmaker Proposes Ban of Gas-Powered Cars - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Off-Topic Discussion Anything not Challenger-related having legitimate subject matter goes here - must be work-safe. Post ALL social & 'just for fun' threads in the Chat Lounge ONLY). **NOTE: ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic - NO POLITICS**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,890 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
CA Lawmaker Proposes Ban of Gas-Powered Cars

A California lawmaker has introduced legislation to ban gas-powered cars by 2040. Although this legislation is going nowhere, it is an ominous sign of the times.

https://vivifytimesnews.com/is-calif...king-about-it/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:42 AM

Garage
I live in Nevada and I will no longer visit California or work there like I used to. I will not spend a dime in that state to help their economy. It's a shame since California used to be a nice state. The roads are junk in L. A. and San Diego, and many other areas since they are spending money on social programs and not infrastructure anyway. They may not even have any roads left by 2040, they will all be bike trails.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:03 AM

Just one more reason to add to the already LONG list of reasons to never move to CA. :-)
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:47 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda340 View Post
A California lawmaker has introduced legislation to ban gas-powered cars by 2040. Although this legislation is going nowhere, it is an ominous sign of the times.

https://vivifytimesnews.com/is-calif...king-about-it/

So glad I left California, good riddance.

Always bothers me how people are all feel good about their progressive laws then turn around and complain about taxes, traffic, and cost of living.

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:49 AM

Hmm 20 years down the road... Who knows what we will be driving 20 years from now or where technology will take us.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:57 AM

While we probably won't still be buying new gas cars in 2040, there will still be plenty of people that have "old" gas cars. Whether they are "classics" or just people having old cars, I still don't want the government "banning" them. :-) Let the free market dictact what will and won't be driven. That's where CA doesn't "line up" with a lot of people - they want to "force" everyone to do things instead of letting the people and the market drive things (no pun intended!). Can't really delve too deep into this conversation without breaking the "no politics" rule though, so we'll have to leave it at that. :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post:
Frank Julian (05-20-2019)
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:43 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
While we probably won't still be buying new gas cars in 2040, there will still be plenty of people that have "old" gas cars. Whether they are "classics" or just people having old cars, I still don't want the government "banning" them. :-) Let the free market dictact what will and won't be driven. That's where CA doesn't "line up" with a lot of people - they want to "force" everyone to do things instead of letting the people and the market drive things (no pun intended!). Can't really delve too deep into this conversation without breaking the "no politics" rule though, so we'll have to leave it at that. :-)
Kinda hard not to post politics in a thread about politics.

If we're not allowed to discuss them, why even post it?
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:29 AM

Garage
Well, unless they can figger out why Teslas are spontaneously combusting and until they upgrade their outdated power grid and and cover about 1/2 the state with solar panels and wind farms, there won't be enough electromotricity to charge all the electric cars. I guess Californians will be getting around on surfboards and hemp-sleds. Horses will be an option, but I'm sure they'll ban methane by then too, so the horses will all become dogfood.

K-DAWG
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:33 AM

All they have to do is start producing ALCOHOL.

2019 JEEP CHEROKEE LIMITED 2.0 TURBO

Last edited by jim383; 05-20-2019 at 07:41 AM.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,355 Times in 2,569 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
Well, unless they can figger out why Teslas are spontaneously combusting and until they upgrade their outdated power grid and and cover about 1/2 the state with solar panels and wind farms, there won't be enough electromotricity to charge all the electric cars. I guess Californians will be getting around on surfboards and hemp-sleds. Horses will be an option, but I'm sure they'll ban methane by then too, so the horses will all become dogfood.
California (and Arizona) should build solar "farms" - there's 100s of thousands of empty land that is parched and baked by the sun...given all the electricity used for air conditioning in So Cal / AZ / NV it would make sense vs. trying to ship electricity from Canada over a choke point in the transmission lines.

CA has a very antiquated and undersized electrical grid - brown outs are always a possibility.

Another point is Mexico contributes a lot of pollution that comes up from San Diego, up the valley into LA Basin.

30+ years ago you didn't see pollution in San Diego - and that was with 70s / early 80s emissions controls.

I've seen LA's air get less polluted compared to nearly 40 years ago when I first visited the area (you could see the hills around LA)

San Diego has very clear air back then. With the increased manufacturing across the border in Mexico, air quality has become worse, despite the lower emissions from Diesel heavy trucks (ULSD fuel & DEF) and modern emissions on passenger cars...all the while the population of vehicles has increased over the decades there.

I just can't see this happening by passing a piece of legislation to affect the entire state. Some regions need more attention that others. Even if it did...it would be 40 years of run-off of existing vehicles on the road to be out of service.

I recall London, GB proposed banning ICE vehicles from being sold in future years as a proposal, but that's pretty far fetched.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode