This is getting ridiculous... - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Off-Topic Discussion Anything not Challenger-related having legitimate subject matter goes here - must be work-safe. Post ALL social & 'just for fun' threads in the Chat Lounge ONLY). **NOTE: ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic - NO POLITICS**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,354 Times in 982 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
This is getting ridiculous...

I have grown used to the extra attention from local LEOs that my car's paint job invites. Traffic stops are nothing new to me, even the ones that are initiated for blatantly obvious false reasons. Unsurprisingly, I had experience with that sort of thing long before acquiring the Bacon Hauler.

But what is unique to driving this car, and what really grinds my gears about police attention because of it, are the traffic stops which never would have happened if I had not run across some slack-jawed troglodyte who either
a) thought he was being funny by getting me stopped or
b) was just too dimwitted to recognize the folly of his own actions in getting me stopped.

Case in point - earlier today I was pulled over and unceremoniously read the riot act because a citizen had called 911 to tell them there was a guy driving "...a really loud cop car " around trying to pull people over, but he was certain that it was not a real cop car because there was no letters or numbers or flashing lights on it.

Holy cow, that gentleman was surely doing his civic duty by disregarding his own safety to let the police know someone who was not a cop was acting like one on the local city streets...right??

That's one way to look at it...

Here's another: I leave my DRLs enabled for the obvious safety benefits, and I also prefer to shift into Park to wait for stop lights which take an inordinate amount of time to cycle through to green. Normally, those two things shouldn't be an issue, right? Well, they are...when you combine them in a former cop car and throw in a dullard who has too much time on his hands and watched one too many Law and Orders this week.

From what I can piece together, the hero citizen that reported me as impersonating a police officer was mistaking the behavior my car exhibits when I shift the transmission into Park at stop lights. That causes the headlights to turn off when in DRL mode, and conversely the headlights will turn back on when I shift into Drive after the light turns green. Mr. Mashed-Potatoes-for-Brains saw these on/off episodes at stop lights and figured I must have been trying to get people to pull over!

Never mind the fact that no car ever pulled over in front of me (that I noticed anyway), and thus I never pulled in behind anyone to run their license or make stupid jokes about their car's paint job...

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

And I'm normally on a LEO's side, even when I'm the one being stopped (because I usually needed it), but this particular officer seemed to be deriving a little too much pleasure from talking down (up?) to me. I should be ashamed, and I could be arrested on the spot, and I could have been shot dead in some towns...blah, blah, blah...yeah, I get it, impersonating a police officer is dangerous, THAT'S WHY I HAVE NEVER DONE IT!!

*sigh*

Whatever, I'm over it...doesn't bother me...can you tell?

Alright, I've vented, all is good again, the world is once again right. Please carry on everyone, nothing to see here, please disperse.

Nuke

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Post a pic of your car I want to see it.

2018 SXT Plus Granite Crystal Metallic
2017 Maverick XMR 1000R
2015 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4 Aisin
2014 Palomino Columbia 43' TH
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:17 AM

Garage
I want to see this "unmarked" police car too.

"I think we just broke something...it's traction" - Carl Edwards :thumbsup
post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:16 AM

Did you get any tickets out of it or just a brow-beating "warning"?

So this person throught that you were trying to pull people over simply becuase your headlights turned off and back on when shifting between Park and Drive at a stoplight???

Personally, I could never be bothered to shift into and out of park at a red light, but that is neither here nor there... I certainly don't see how that should get you pulled over. There are TONS of "ex police cars" on the road with the same type of paint job as your car.

I could understand it if you also got out of the car and approached their car after all of this - or if you had a security gaurd uniform on - or wore a hat that said "Police", etc... But simpy from what you describe, that seems to be a little much.

Just wait to see how bad it gets once you get your "bacn haulr" license plate though! I can only imagine what the cops are going to be like when you get pulled over with that plate!!! :-)

Last edited by jtrosky; 05-16-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:17 AM

Garage
I can't get past putting your car in park at stoplights. It bothers me way more than it should.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Hellcat
The Following User Says Thank You to landoawd For This Useful Post:
PaVaSteeler (05-16-2019)
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:44 AM

Nuke,

Quite a story about two counts of inappropriate behavior - one by the person calling the police and setting you up, and the other by a patronizing, if not actually bullying officer.

Everyone can have a bad day. Maybe you encountered two people experiencing them.

Glad you posted. Free forum therapy!

Finface
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by landoawd View Post
I can't get past putting your car in park at stoplights. It bothers me way more than it should.

Agree. That's just weird.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:55 AM

Thanked 4,336 Times in 2,707 Posts
Garage
My grandpa used to shift into park at stop lights too. "It's better for the tranny" lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Past: 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T "Classic" RIP Old Buddy 6/4/15

The Present: 2016 R/T Scat Pack. Factory Options: B5 Blue, 24G Package(A8), WRT Wheels, and Modern R/T Hood Stripe. Engine HP Mods: None Needed. HC Air Box/Tube; DIPs Screen; BT Catch Can; Mopar front Brace;"TA" style side stripes; Mopar '10 Center Caps
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:00 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
I have grown used to the extra attention from local LEOs that my car's paint job invites. Traffic stops are nothing new to me, even the ones that are initiated for blatantly obvious false reasons. Unsurprisingly, I had experience with that sort of thing long before acquiring the Bacon Hauler.

But what is unique to driving this car, and what really grinds my gears about police attention because of it, are the traffic stops which never would have happened if I had not run across some slack-jawed troglodyte who either
a) thought he was being funny by getting me stopped or
b) was just too dimwitted to recognize the folly of his own actions in getting me stopped.

Case in point - earlier today I was pulled over and unceremoniously read the riot act because a citizen had called 911 to tell them there was a guy driving "...a really loud cop car " around trying to pull people over, but he was certain that it was not a real cop car because there was no letters or numbers or flashing lights on it.

Holy cow, that gentleman was surely doing his civic duty by disregarding his own safety to let the police know someone who was not a cop was acting like one on the local city streets...right??

That's one way to look at it...

Here's another: I leave my DRLs enabled for the obvious safety benefits, and I also prefer to shift into Park to wait for stop lights which take an inordinate amount of time to cycle through to green. Normally, those two things shouldn't be an issue, right? Well, they are...when you combine them in a former cop car and throw in a dullard who has too much time on his hands and watched one too many Law and Orders this week.

From what I can piece together, the hero citizen that reported me as impersonating a police officer was mistaking the behavior my car exhibits when I shift the transmission into Park at stop lights. That causes the headlights to turn off when in DRL mode, and conversely the headlights will turn back on when I shift into Drive after the light turns green. Mr. Mashed-Potatoes-for-Brains saw these on/off episodes at stop lights and figured I must have been trying to get people to pull over!

Never mind the fact that no car ever pulled over in front of me (that I noticed anyway), and thus I never pulled in behind anyone to run their license or make stupid jokes about their car's paint job...

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

And I'm normally on a LEO's side, even when I'm the one being stopped (because I usually needed it), but this particular officer seemed to be deriving a little too much pleasure from talking down (up?) to me. I should be ashamed, and I could be arrested on the spot, and I could have been shot dead in some towns...blah, blah, blah...yeah, I get it, impersonating a police officer is dangerous, THAT'S WHY I HAVE NEVER DONE IT!!

*sigh*

Whatever, I'm over it...doesn't bother me...can you tell?

Alright, I've vented, all is good again, the world is once again right. Please carry on everyone, nothing to see here, please disperse.

Nuke
Get you a dash cam if you don't already have one.

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:57 AM

Garage
So, I have to admit, one of the reasons I'm thoroughly investigating the purchase of a nearly new Pursuit (aside from the cop motor, cop tires, cop suspension cop shocks.....yes I love the Blues Brothers) and the 5AT in a 2018 or 2019 LX platform car, is the appearance of being an unmarked police car and the prospect of that appearance moving the left-lane lurking knuckle-dragging morons who hog the left lane on the interstate. If I aquire said Pursuit, I would keep the black-steel wheels and chrome center caps (love the look) and add a full brush-bar (to keep the turkeys and smaller deer out of the grille and headlights). While I dig the two-toned Black-and-White look of the Bacon-Hauler (and the Bluesmobile), I will opt for a solid color silver, black or gray model.

Now I would not drive it any differently than I do my RAM pickup or my Pilot or how I used to drive my Challenger. Normally not more than 10 over the posted speed limit and in the right lane unless overtaking. However, I expect that when people see those black wheels with the chrome caps and brush-guard on a model car that some police use (although the PSP do not drive Chargers)....they'll move out of the way.

I certainly wouldn't flash my lights at them, tailgate or gesture to them in anyway (in Western PA, that may result in my looking down the business end of a CCW).

My biggest concern would be properly disabling a take-down light (if it has one) and since the Pursuit has no foglights, getting those mounted on the brush bar and operating in a manner that's in line with the PA laws (only when low beams are on and in conjunction with tail lights). A functional cop-spotlight and aux lighting on without tail lights or with high-beams will get you nicked around here, faster than just driving an unmarked former cop-car.

K-DAWG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode