possible move to charlotte area - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Off-Topic Discussion Anything not Challenger-related having legitimate subject matter goes here - must be work-safe. Post ALL social & 'just for fun' threads in the Chat Lounge ONLY). **NOTE: ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic - NO POLITICS**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 12:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by us1champ View Post
Hey all,

I may be moving from iowa to charlotte, nc

i am looking for anyone to give me some advice on where to look for houses. couple things.

the job if i get it is in Charlotte..
the big thing.. my car.
right now my car has no cats and long tubes ect. and where i live we don't have SMOG test.. i REALLY don't want to go thru all the work of putting cats on and re tuning to just pass smog.
so any suggestions on where to live that if possible can avoid this.

i would like a house with some ground. nothing HUGE but i don't want to live on top of someone.

my son is 10.. is there any areas that schools are better than others?

any suggestions would be great.

thanks
chris
Chris, like said in other posts, Charlotte/Mecklinburg County is expensive, there are some inner city crime problems, and the schools have a lot to be desired. When it comes to taxes, that's another issue. You'll be working in NC, but living in SC. Check the tax laws just in case. Traffic coming into Charlotte is bad! There are some outlying towns around Charlotte such as Matthews, NC, although it's in Mecklinburg County. Some of those areas I hear are ok. Depending where you work, you might can find some back roads to get to work. There are more and more counties in NC that are discontinuing emission requirements on cars and some trucks and there are a few others that have implemented the emission requirements. It's a possibility that could change. We have no emission inspections where I live, so it's only $13.00 for the safety inspection and $10.00 for the window tint inspection. I'm happy with only a $23.00 inspection fee! Additionally, in NC, you pay your property tax and license plate fees together when you get your license plates renewed. It's only one sticker that's placed in the upper right corner of the plate. North Carolina is a good state overall, but like any state, there are pros and cons. Good luck with the move.
Rick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
“People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” Eric Arthur Blair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 01:50 AM

Sounds like SC is where you want to be then.

Look up Lake Wylie, SC. It technically doesn't exist as a place except for the US census but it's just over the Catawba River in York County, SC. You can get acres of property in York County at a reasonable price and still be within 25 miles of the center of downtown charlotte.

Lake Wylie is quick access to Charlotte, Rock Hill and Gastonia. I work from home and can't stand almost all of charlotte but I do frequent the Rivergate area in charlotte a couple time a week for food as it's not heavily congested like the rest of charlotte. I spend most of my time in Gastonia.

Very low property taxes in the unincorporated areas of York County including Lake Wylie.

No car inspections. You pay property tax on vehicles in SC along with a small dmv renewal fee that I believe is $24 every 2 years along with a $1 decal fee yearly.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDodge75 View Post
Sounds like SC is where you want to be then.

Look up Lake Wylie, SC. It technically doesn't exist as a place except for the US census but it's just over the Catawba River in York County, SC. You can get acres of property in York County at a reasonable price and still be within 25 miles of the center of downtown charlotte.

Lake Wylie is quick access to Charlotte, Rock Hill and Gastonia. I work from home and can't stand almost all of charlotte but I do frequent the Rivergate area in charlotte a couple time a week for food as it's not heavily congested like the rest of charlotte. I spend most of my time in Gastonia.

Very low property taxes in the unincorporated areas of York County including Lake Wylie.

No car inspections. You pay property tax on vehicles in SC along with a small dmv renewal fee that I believe is $24 every 2 years along with a $1 decal fee yearly.

thanks for all the info
i will dig more once i get a better feel for what is gonna happen.

ya sounds like sc might be a good option.. i think the co ( i may go to ) is in downtown charlotte.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 SRT
MAGNUSON TVS 2300 12LB BLOWER WITH ARRINGTON PERFORMANCE TUNED & DROP IN PISTONS AND RODS, KOOKS LONG TUBE HEADERS
ARRINGTON FRONT STRUT TOWER BRACE
BILLET TECH FUEL DOOR BADGE, DOORLOCK PINS, DEVO STRUT TOWER COVERS, COMPLETE UNDERHOOD KIT IN RED, POP CAN DELETE DISC'S, SRT WHEEL CENTERS, DOOR JAM INSERTS,
CANTON SUPER CHARGER COOLANT TANK
BARTON SHORT THROW SHIFTER WITH MOPAR SHORT THROW HANDLE]
CUSTOM HEAD RESTS
SPEEDLOGIX A-PILLAR POD W/ AUTOMETER CARBON FIBER GUAGES
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:03 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I travel to the Charlotte and Concord areas a couple times per year, and the nightmares about 77/85 and 485 are all very real. I did learn to love the diverging diamond interchanges though.

2016 Go Mango SPS A8
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,289 Times in 2,514 Posts
Garage
Quote:
thanks for all the info
i will dig more once i get a better feel for what is gonna happen.

ya sounds like sc might be a good option.. i think the co ( i may go to ) is in downtown charlotte.
Also do research on prospective properties and compare.

I have a new construction home - same builder, same floorplan was $20-40K higher in SC locations than NC (where I built). And I have a larger lot for less money than what I could pick from in SC.

So the higher purchase price would have negated any taxes - I was looking at Fort Mill, Indian Land and between the higher purchase price AND the likelihood of a job being in Charlotte or NC (largest population of potential employers) and the traffic, I chose based on that criteria.

Everyone has different requisites, I did my research and that's what I found. I'm near the SC border, and if I'm driving near SC I'll fill up on gas there as premium is .50 - .70 / gallon cheaper than NC due to the lower fuel taxes in SC.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
ok so in more talking with the possible employer today that i would have to be located in virginia beach virginia area

is there anyone familiar with this area and is there any places that i can live that DO NOT require smog testing there?

chris
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:18 AM

Virginia requires emissions testing so Not in Virginia. You'd be close to NC but, as you know, NC requires emissions testing also.

Do they offer telecommuting? I've been working from home for almost 15 years. Saves me tons of money commuting costs and I can work from anywhere where I can get internet access including cellular data. My employer is based out of France and my customers are all over the US. The only time I leave my house for work is to go to our data center an hour away or to have lunch or dinner with my customer in Charlotte.

I was offered a job a few years ago in downtown Charlotte making about $15K more than I made back then. When I factored in fuel and maintenance for driving both ways and parking or driving, parking and taking the rail, I'd be taking home less money and I'd be traveling an extra 2.5 + hours a day with traffic.

If the job is worth it to you, you may have to give in and put it back to stock so you can pass emissions. Your other option is to not register it and drive a different car. It may be possible to keep it registered in your current state if you have an address there you can use but most states require your vehicle registration to match your current address. I suppose you could keep your license and registration in your current state if you have an address you can use, but again, that would be against the laws of most states as they give you a short time for moving license and vehicle registrations to your new residence before facing fines. I know two people who've done this for many years this because they have no driving privileges in NC due to DUI convictions. They got their license and vehicle registrations in states that don't have reciprocal agreements with NC, AKA Driver License Compact (DLC). One was from Michigan and had family there. The other, Georgia. Party girl still to this day at 45.

If it was me, I'd just put it back to stock.

Last edited by KDodge75; 02-08-2019 at 12:28 AM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 04:58 AM

Garage
Id avoid Virginia at all costs. Their vehicle modification laws are abhorrent.

2016 Hellcat
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,289 Times in 2,514 Posts
Garage
Quote:
ok so in more talking with the possible employer today that i would have to be located in virginia beach virginia area

is there anyone familiar with this area and is there any places that i can live that DO NOT require smog testing there?

chris
Requirements
Your vehicle must meet Virginia's emissions inspection requirements if it is garaged in one of the localities listed below:

Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, or Stafford
Cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas or Manassas Park
Inspections are valid for two years and may be obtained by having your vehicle inspected either by:

Driving past a RAPIDPASS on-road emissions testing site. RAPIDPASS is an on-road emissions test completed in less than a second as a vehicle is driven past RAPIDPASS roadside equipment. To learn more, visit www.RAPIDPASS.org
Visiting a certified emissions inspection station.
Your DMV vehicle record will be updated automatically when you have your vehicle inspected using either method. Results of the inspection are usually transmitted to DMV within 24 hours.

No vehicle subject to an emissions inspection will be registered or reregistered by DMV until it has passed an emissions inspection or has been issued an emissions inspection waiver due to repair costs that exceed a repair cost threshold.

As @landoawd mentioned, VA has some of the most restrictive laws (lights, ride height, modifications) of many states. So if you have lowered suspension, tinted windows accessory lights, you'll get popped for it.

There's a number of ex- Virginians living in NC that have shared their stories. Not to mention they are quick to ticket for anything over the speed limit.

It looks like the counties around Virginia Beach don't have emissions inspections, but as populations grow and air quality worsens, emissions testing often starts to happen.

Chris, I know that you want to run cat-less, but the reality is some day, you'll probably be in that situation of having to put them on. Good thing is there's a lot of top-notch tuners in NC that can get you set up.

Last edited by Hal H; 02-08-2019 at 06:40 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
not so much want to run catless.. it is the massive headache and more money to convert it to cats and all new tunes which if you new about my car you would understand why lol.. already have 2500 bucks in tunes on my computer for this thing and really really REALLY dont want to start over as it is about as much work as buying a new house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode