What are Microfiber Towels? - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Off-Topic Discussion Anything not Challenger-related having legitimate subject matter goes here - must be work-safe. Post ALL social & 'just for fun' threads in the Chat Lounge ONLY). **NOTE: ALL forum rules apply in Off Topic - NO POLITICS**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,937 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Correct, and you should not use hot wash water as well generally. Here are the directions from my CarPro towels. They mention a specific microfiber detergent, but there are others:

Quote:
Microfiber Care:

When caring for microfiber towels there are a few simple rules to live by. Microfiber towels should only be washed with other microfiber towels. If you wash with other types of fabrics like cotton, etc, the microfiber will retain lint from those fabrics. Wash with Micro-Restore which contains everything you want and nothing you do not. NEVER use fabric softeners or dryer sheets. When drying, dry on a very low heat cycle and never leave them in the dryer long enough to overheat. A dry microfiber that is heated to a certain point melts and becomes a danger to paint. Rinsing your new towels in the washer is always a good habit but also be aware that some colors may bleed onto others if you mix colors during that first wash cycle. After use microfiber should be stored, washed, and kept separate according to their task. In other words you would never use a wheel towel and then mix it with your paint towel. Mixing wax and sealant towels with glass and drying towels are a good way to remove absorbency from or cause streaking with your drying towels. Interior or doorjamb towels will collect sand and particles you would never want in your paint buffing towels so keep those separate as well just to be safe.

Points to Review:

All microfiber should be washed once before use to remove any loose fiber from the towel.
Bold or bright colors should be washed separate the first time to avoid color exchange. For safest procedure keep separate for a few washes minimum as there is always a chance for color bleeding between distinctly different Microfiber towel colors
Do not mix with towels used for other tasks
Wash with Micro-Restore safe up to 140F
NEVER use fabric softener sheets
Dry in the dryer only on cool or low heat
And this from Adams

I know some are rolling their eyes at spending the money for quality towels, but my black car is washed and detailed every non rainy weekend, and while sure there are some small swirls, it is relatively swirl free. You invest money in the purchase of your car, a small investment in quality cleaning products and methods doesn't seem far fetched in relation.

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
georgethedog (03-27-2018), Gila Hemi (04-26-2018), hemi1031 (03-25-2018), PaVaSteeler (03-27-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 06:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Correct, and you should not use hot wash water as well generally. Here are the directions from my CarPro towels. They mention a specific microfiber detergent, but there are others:

And this from Adams

How To Wash Your Microfiber Towels | DETALKS - YouTube

I know some are rolling their eyes at spending the money for quality towels, but my black car is washed and detailed every non rainy weekend, and while sure there are some small swirls, it is relatively swirl free. You invest money in the purchase of your car, a small investment in quality cleaning products and methods doesn't seem far fetched in relation.

A Guy
https://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/ho...wels-properly/

Good info on the subject of microfiber towels

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:01 AM

Question.

Why are MF towels better than prewashed 100% cotton (e.g. soft, clean cloth diapers), quality terry cloth or natural or man-made chamois? I hate the feel of MF towels on my hands. They tend to stick and pull on any dry skin they come in contact with.

So far, nothing in over four decades of personal car care experience has persuaded me to shy away from quality cotton products for cleaning and polishing or chamois for removing water after a hand wash.

I’ve done many hours of research on my Commodore 64 and printed out many articles on my Okidata dot-matrix printer to become more educated on the subject. The upgrade to my 64kb modem has really sped things up, so I’m sure my research is up to date.

I’m still looking for a cellular bag-phone from Apple but no luck yet so texting is out of the question (BTW, what is texting?).

Any help on the subject is appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saetta For This Useful Post:
Gila Hemi (04-26-2018)
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
As you can see, it's quite simple...

A Guy
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 04:28 AM

Yes, this is exactly what Saetta printed out on his Okidata.

For years I used a good quality chamois to dry my cars. After reading many articles, many posted here, I switched to micro fiber cloths. They do a much faster job than the chamois, but I’m left wondering which is better for the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 SRT Granite Crystal

2003 Dakota SLT
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 07:16 AM

Thanked 1,119 Times in 627 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saetta View Post
Question.

Why are MF towels better than prewashed 100% cotton (e.g. soft, clean cloth diapers), quality terry cloth or natural or man-made chamois? I hate the feel of MF towels on my hands. They tend to stick and pull on any dry skin they come in contact with.

So far, nothing in over four decades of personal car care experience has persuaded me to shy away from quality cotton products for cleaning and polishing or chamois for removing water after a hand wash.

I’ve done many hours of research on my Commodore 64 and printed out many articles on my Okidata dot-matrix printer to become more educated on the subject. The upgrade to my 64kb modem has really sped things up, so I’m sure my research is up to date.

I’m still looking for a cellular bag-phone from Apple but no luck yet so texting is out of the question (BTW, what is texting?).

Any help on the subject is appreciated.
One difference between quality microfiber towels and those diapers of yours is the purposeful design of the microfibers to trap and encapsulate anything they catch (which is why they snag on our old dry hands). Diapers on the other hand were designed to (1) absorb moisture and (2) prevent solids from passing beyond the diaper's surface they touch.

Imagine tiny pieces of baby poo on your paint (or don't...even the idea makes me shudder)...Imagine tiny particulate matter on your paint. The cotton diaper is designed to keep particulate matter (e.g. poo) on its surface. Thus, the diaper, no matter how soft, will only drag the particulate across your paint; particulates of a size you can't see or feel, nonetheless leave a trail (skidmark?) behind them. Microfiber towels are designed to capture any particulates and "wrap" them into the nap of the towel, pulling said particulates away from the surface.

Yes, the cotton diapers are soft and smooth, and microfibers are "rough" in comparison, but that's because of the design intent of the materials. That's why auto wash mitts are "knobby" since they're designed to capture the poo-ticulates loosened from the paint by the soap products; microfiber design is a micro-reflection of the same intent.

That's why even the plush microfibers used for removing the hazed wax or sealant after application and bonding has a nap on it. The nap on microfibers is as it is for a reason; clean soft diapers are to induce naps in babies.

"Renny", a 2015 Scat Pack 392, 6M Pitch Black - Driver's Conv Opt; Tech Opt; Leather; SGII
Billet Technology engine bay pieces - Sponsor
Custom designed, George Barris inspired side pipes Hiflow Custom Exhaust - Sponsor
Katzkin Leather interior - Sponsor
NoWeeds Exhaust Diverters - Sponsor
Barton Flat Stick Short Shifter
Mopar Stage 1 Springs

The Following User Says Thank You to PaVaSteeler For This Useful Post:
georgethedog (03-27-2018)
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:12 PM

Garage
I've always dried my car by driving it down the road really fast. When I get back, no water, no water spots and no collection of towels to be cared for. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough to spend more time fondling my car's exterior. My wife says I already say more nice things about my car than I do about her. If she found me gently caressing the water from my clean car, she's liable to expect the same treatment. And I'm too old for that.

K-DAWG
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Dawg For This Useful Post:
georgethedog (03-27-2018)
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The Challenger has water on the rear end no matter how fast/long you drive after washing, lol.

A Guy
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 04:12 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
As you can see, it's quite simple...

A Guy

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 05:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
I've always dried my car by driving it down the road really fast. When I get back, no water, no water spots and no collection of towels to be cared for. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough to spend more time fondling my car's exterior. My wife says I already say more nice things about my car than I do about her. If she found me gently caressing the water from my clean car, she's liable to expect the same treatment. And I'm too old for that.
At least your wife didn’t tell you that you spend more money on car care than she does for makeup. Mine did but for once my brain engaged before my mouth did. Walking away in total silence was undoubtedly one of the smartest things i’ve ever done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Off Topic Section > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode