Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my scat pack for a couple months now and haven't had the opportunity to get it to a drag strip yet:( closest to a strip was an airport runway in the high Nevada desert for a weekend race. I'm wondering how much of a difference I can expect when I get it on a prepped track? At DA of 9500 in the desert with no prep on the runway I was able to run a 13.9 at 102 mph in 1/4 with an ugly 5.1 0-60, back in the sf Bay Area I've been able to pull down 4.5, 4.6 0-60's when playing on deserted highways and a best in car timer of 12.9 at 108. YES I'm still learning the clutch / gas peddle dance !!

·
Registered
850 Posts
You will not get any 0-60 times at a drag strip but the car is pretty accurate. Probably more accurate than you can do with a stopwatch. You will find your speedometer is also pretty accurate but keep in mind speeds at the track are measured over a 66 foot distance so it's kind of an average around 33 feet before you cross the finish line. The ET from the car is probably more accurate than the track for one reason. The car does not give you a rolling start like the track does if you stage shallow. That can cause a difference of as much as 0.2 seconds in my experience. Of course everyone disregards that rolling advantage and accepts the track as accurate. :grin2:

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
Here are some times just for comparison purposes between street vs track that I had with my car (A8)...

0-60mph:
- 20" drag radials (stock tune) on street: 3.9
- 20" drag radials (stock tune) on track: 3.6
- 17" Racestars (Hemifever tune) on street: 3.7
- 17" Racestars (Hemifever tune) on track: 3.3

I never did any tests from street/track on the stock 245 Goodyears because those tires suck. The best I could manage on the street with those stupid things was a 4.4. I've seen some guys that have hit 4.1-4.2 though.

Basically going from the street to the track dropped my 0-60 time about .3-.4 roughly. Had I heated up the tires on the street first, those times may have been slightly better. But a prepped track surface generally beats the hell out of even a relatively clean street road.

Also to note, my car's ET timer was about .1 slower than my actual timeslip and the MPH timer was dead on to what my actual timeslip said. So the car's timers are pretty accurate.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Your car is almost as fast as my Scatpack with a Magnuson SC (6/7 psi). I'm still running 20" wheels with MT ET Street SS tires (275/40). I've had a few 3.3 times @ 0-60 also but my 60 ft has never been under 1.7 sec.
I still believe the car is more accurate than the track. :)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
^ If you switched to 17" Racestars with drag radials or bias ply slicks and front skinnies I bet you'd pick up quite a bit.

My car would 60ft in the 1.69-1.75 range on the stock tune on the 20" drag radials last year depending on the weather/conditions (1.69 was in -350ft DA and 1.75 was around 2500ft DA I believe)

This year with the Hemifever tune it regularly runs 1.61-1.63 60ft times (+700 to 1500ft DA).

I'm assuming your car must be an M6 or you have an A8 running in a much higher elevation (i.e. Colorado, etc).

·
Registered
850 Posts
I'm running my A8 in Florida/Alabama/Mississippi area. The lowest DA I've run in was about +91 ft. I've never used any additive or MS 109 like that. I think if I go to 17" wheels and add some MS 109 I could shave a couple of tenths off my 1/8 or 1/4 times. What size tires are you MTs?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'm running my A8 in Florida/Alabama/Mississippi area. The lowest DA I've run in was about +91 ft. I've never used any additive or MS 109 like that. I think if I go to 17" wheels and add some MS 109 I could shave a couple of tenths off my 1/8 or 1/4 times. What size tires are you MTs?
I see. Were most of your runs in higher DA? I would think you'd be running 10.8-11.2 or so at least running a supercharger and 6-7psi if you hooked up good and ran in decent air. Is the transmission holding up okay to all that power? I heard a Procharged Scat Pack at my track and it sounded like the trans was slipping a lot on the big end and in between shifts, but I have no idea what level of boost he was running.

Yes, the 17" wheel and front skinny combo should drop you .1-.15 easily. It should help your 60ft as well due to better weight transfer.

I run 28" tall tires all around. M/T 305/45/17 ET Street R in back and M&H 28/17-4.5 radial front skinnies up front on Racestar wheels (17x9.5" rear and 17x4.5" front).

The MS109 is nothing magical, but it helps to raise the octane level so you avoid knock retard which will kill power. It basically ensures you aren't losing any power and does add a little bit of power on its own due to the higher oxygen content. Even on the stock tune with 93 pump gas I saw some knock retard now and then. With the MS109 it was gone. 1-1.5 gal to 1/4 tank of 93 pump gas is all you need (96 octane roughly) to eliminate any knock retard. Maybe a little more on a hot day.

·
Registered
850 Posts
My fastest run was 11.279 @ 119.18 with a 1.77 60 ft. The Hellcats have an extra 100 hp over me. I dynoed at 535 hp @ 6 psi. Typical runs for me are around 11.4 @ 121. With the heat now 11.5 is a good run. My tranny is ok at that hp. My opinion the tune is not very good for the Maggie but not interested in going faster right now. I'm pushing my abilities at speeds of 120+ mph.

·
Registered
850 Posts
@wilyumz1 What gear/rpm are you in @ 60 mph? What gear/rpm are you in when you cross the 1/4 mile? My car shifts into 5th at 99.5 mph so it's almost perfect for 1/8 mile where I do between 95 and 101. My car will do 130+ in 5th gear so I'm not near the end at 119-124. Gearing could definitely be better for the 1/4.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a 6 spd hit 60 at top of second gear around 6000 rpm, hit 90 ish in third at the 1/8 and best 1/4 trap speed was 107 in 4th gear, have to find the happy spot between clutch and gas at launch !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts