Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T. I got a weird reading on my tachometer screen that looked like 0039 or something with a 9 as the last digit. The car was having a weak start about every tenth start. I took it to a mechanic who told me my battery was not strong but that the charging system seemed ok. They replaced the battery. 2 days later upon starting I heard a high pitched whizzing/whining noise when the rpm were increased. I had to drive home so I got on the highway. I was on the highway when all the lights and guages starting going off, the lights dimmed and I smelled a burning smell. I was able to coast into a gas station where it completely died. Took it back to the same mechanic. After diagnosing, he claimed that he must've put a battery with a bad cell into the car. He replaced the battery (2nd battery) and the car drove strong. About two weeks later I noticed the screen on the tachometer (red lines) seemed illuminated slightly at night. I took it to AutoZone and O'reillys and they both said the charging system was bad. I then took it to the same mechanic to have him test it. His machine showed both the battery and charging systems were fine. It's now a week and a half later and as I was driving home tonight the battery light came on on the panel. The check engine light has never come on. I'm planning to take it to the mechanic again tomorrow! This must be the alternator,right? Has anyone experienced this scenario?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,862 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks ike it's the alternator. It was not putting out enough power. There was smoke and a burning smell coming off the alternator while we ran the car as he was looking at it. The high pitched whizzing sound was present as well. Hopefully this is the issue and was all along. We'll see after I get it back.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,862 Posts
Looks ike it's the alternator. It was not putting out enough power. There was smoke and a burning smell coming off the alternator while we ran the car as he was looking at it. The high pitched whizzing sound was present as well. Hopefully this is the issue and was all along. We'll see after I get it back.
Well it's not unheard of, the 2011-2014 had a recall on defective alternators (bad/leaky diodes).

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
That's a symptom of one of the diodes failed - alternators are a 3-phase AC generator. When one of the diodes fail, you'll get that symptom. Had it happen on a '92 Chevy I owned - had a couple of alternators fail.

Smoking electric components are another sign something went on the wayside

The 00039 code is the low voltage symptom the display will show - seen that happen before.

Reactions: Klaatu

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I thought everytjing was ok but when I started my car tonight to drive home I noticed the slightly illuminated red lines on the little LED screen on the tachometer (this is a symptom I saw after the mechanic put the first battery in). I'm concerned that something is still wrong. I pulled into the garage and turned off the car, but stayed in it, and took the key out. In my dark garage I could still see slightly illuminated red lines on both the tachometer and speedometer LED screens. I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to do that! Here are pictures. The lines are visible in my pitch dark garage with no light source/ no flash obviously. Anybody?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts