Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well trying to find out the specs on installed valve spring height 5.7. some say its 1.99 on ONLY 09 and 10 ? some say its 1.81 on 2011-up ? the eagle head part number are the same from 09-18 as well as the springs (see note on bottom).then how and why would there be any confusion ? i believe its 1.81 across the board.

a few years ago i was replacing valve stem seals. when i looked up the spring for my 09 the number was 5302289AD but that was discontinued and mopar went with this one 68080909AB . beehive spring. i called the dealer because i was not clear if i was to use the cage or shim on my original spring. they said no just use the spring and use the 1mm supplied shim dis-guard the cage and 2mm shim. . so i did just that and ist been no problem since. the 68080909AB is the part number for all eagle heads from 09-up.
my question is in 2011 do the still require the 1mm shim that would tell me that the insallt height would differ from the 09 &10 , if you look up the spring for a 2011-up it still shows the 1mm shim. has anyone torn down a stock 2011-up 5.7 and noticed a 1mm shim under the spring ? pic original oem spring set up pic 2 the differences between the 2. pic 3 intall instructions.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You might want to double check that. Manley springs install at 1.811 but require a locator that is .205 thick! The 09 shim is .076 and spring cage pads are .045. The Manley retainer for this spring says it’s at the stock height. So 1.811 + .084 gives you 1.895 installed height for my 09 head by measuring the factory hardware that I had laying around. To get the actual number I would have to use the retainer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey man thanks a mill. but i found it finally . the factory specs on installed spring height is wrong . its not 1.81 that spec is for 08 and down 5.7. 09 and up is 1.99 . i just checked mine .(09 eagle ) its 1.99. check out what i found . its impossible for it to be 1.81 on a eagle head. the valves are longer the stock spring would bind for sure if it was a installed height of only 1.81. or way to loose .almost 5mm diff.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good to know thanks for posting. I’m currently trying to figure out what locators to run on PSI 1515 springs on my eagle heads. I don’t think that their is an off the shelf option out there. There is not much information out there on these and the few vendors I spoke with were not much help. Right now I’m leaning towards no locators and reusing the factory spring cages.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know thanks for posting. I’m currently trying to figure out what locators to run on PSI 1515 springs on my eagle heads. I don’t think that their is an off the shelf option out there. There is not much information out there on these and the few vendors I spoke with were not much help. Right now I’m leaning towards no locators and reusing the factory spring cages.

the 5.7 and 6.4 uses the same spring retainers, locks,and rods . there is no need to waist your money replacing them on a 6.4 swap they if they use the on the 6.4 .my locks and retainers are original and my rods were replaced a few years ago when i did valve seals.,i upgraded my springs to P5160074 .MOPAR performance springs but if you order the springs individually part number 68277306AA you can get all 16 for $80 the P kit above is $230 , i found this out after extensive research . they use the same retainers and locks and a 1mm shim under them install height on my stock set up was 1.99 before but this is the new install height when you replace the springs . the stock replacement spring is a beehive and you dont use the lcater or cage on the new spring. (see pic above .new stock replacement spring set up) this is what i had in my engine fo 40k .they had a new install height of 1.99 the old set up may have been 1.81.(2mm shim and cage) the performance springs are also 1.99 install height with the 1mm sime .(i just reused my old ones.). my care is back togeather and running strong the performance springs work great and i have reved it many times up to 67k .

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,273 Posts
the 5.7 and 6.4 uses the same spring retainers, locks,and rods .
Yup that is correct, I found this out a couple of months ago and posted the part numbers here. Although when it comes to the pushrods, I would install aftermarket ones as they are of better quality compared to OEM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts