Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had to have the new tail light design for my 09. but wasn't going to spend BIG BUCKS on a new rear fascia paint and all that.now the lights bolt right in, however the center section will hit the top of the rear bumper surround and trunk will not close or if you slam it it will deform the top of bumper causing waves and distortions. first what i did was took a wood plain and took off about about 1/8 or less of the top lip where the center light hits .its sort of thick but i would not go to deep. there is still plenty of support on that plastic lip to secure the bumper.(i did this mod years ago and not one single issue) but be careful. i then covered the the plain marks using some gaffers tape. now this part i also did to give it more clearance but i dont recommend it . i warmed up the bottom of the center tail light with a heat gun and after marking were it contacts the bumper lip i slowly depressed it in about another 1/16 depressing it with a small piece of copper pipe it didn't look pretty but hardly noticeable so i put a strip of gaffers tape to cover it anyway ,you never see this unless trunk is open and you look at it. .now i had the clearance to close my trunk. it still hit just barely but did NOT deform the top of bumper in any way (see pics) i did this same mod on a buddy's chally and i did not warm up the center light i just shaved down the plastic bumper top lip on fascia he didn't mind slamming his trunk, the most important thing was even though it was hitting the lip it did not deform the top of bumper. if you do not do this you will see major deformities and waves it top of bumper when you force the trunk closed.
after that everyone knows you will have a big gap in the outer lights in the fascia some people live with it i couldn't .so what i did is i took that black foam pipe insulation cut it in half trimmed it a bit and and wrapped it around the outer lights and glued it to them.so when i installed them the foam would conform very tightly to the surround and seal it nice. this stuff is foam so it holds up very well and matches the plastic surround perfectly. very hard to tell looks like factory almost like it was built that way. the electrical part was easy 2 x outer tail light pigtails from a 2015-up 2 x good load resistors and a custom made plug for center light . all done all set and looks dam good at a fraction of the cost for the kit or replacing rear fascia ,total cost was 275 outer lights 300 for center pigtails and resistors 75 and a few hrs labor. i did this mod in 2016. i added the bottom relectors they are needed not only appears to be close to 2015 rear facia but you need reflectors back ther the 2015 tail lights have no relective qualities to them thats why they added them to the facia to see it at nigh with lightas off. the old lights had built in relectors all around them. i since added 1/4 3m red red reflectic tape around the outside edge of new lights. loks awsome at night and sticks out .black car at night with no lights on your asking to get it with no reflectors back there. ,all comments welcome. thanks for reading

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,183 Posts
Great JOB !!! Looks KILLER !!!

Reactions: born to run
1 - 5 of 5 Posts