Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I’m new to the forum. Just wanted to share my build. I’ve owned my 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T (6 speed) since 09 but recently decided it was time to start the build that I’ve been wanting to do for a while.

My goal is to build a 10 second quarter mile 6 speed car. So my parts list thus far includes a K1 Technologies forged stroker kit (393 CI - maintaining stock bore / K1 forged crank & K1 forged rods) w/forged Wiseco dished pistons. Keeping the CR around 9.5:1 for boost. On top I’ll have a Kenne Bell 2.8L Mammoth S/C. The cam will be swapped to a Texas Speed and Performance stage 4 boost cam with new valves and pushrods. In addition to this I’ll also be upgrading to Stainless Works LT headers w/ cat less mid pipes, cut outs, and 3” Magnaflow competition series exhaust system.
This initial portion of the build won’t get me in the 10s, at least I don’t anticipate. I’ll be running a 93 octane tune to start off. Eventually I’ll be doing a complete swap to e85.

For the rest of the car I’m planning on doing some upgrades to beef up the rear end including new half shafts, control arms, etc. For the street I’ll be running a 305/45/r18 Nitto NT05R with Konig Ampliform 18x10.5 on rear and 275/40/r20 Nitto NT05 and Konig Ampliform 20x10 on the front. Haven’t pulled the trigger on a strictly race setup yet. The car currently sits on BC Racing adjustable coil overs.

In addition to the performance side of the build I’m doing a few things to update the car. The front bumper cover is being replaced (and needed to be regardless) with a hellcat bumper. I haven’t decided on a hood but I’m liking the idea of a hellcat red eye hood painted flat black. I’m also converting the taillights to the 2014-present style.

Included is a pic of the car as it sits right now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: The first portion of the install should be complete soon. A Per4mance Development diff brace has been added. I haven't been able to test for wheel hop reduction yet as I'm having some issues with clearance on the new wheel/tire setup and ride height. I've laid out a plan to delete the PCV system with the boosted application. Emissions isnt a factor in this build as I wont have cats either. The PCV valve will be removed and will instead run a Moroso breather tank on a -10AN line. The breather tank utilizes two inlets: one line from the factory manifold PCV location on the pass. side as well as a second breather line coming from the oil fill location. The "fresh air" line that comes from the intake tube and the recirculation line that goes back in near the throttle body will both be plugged. Additionally, I am setting up a water/meth injection on the car. Finally, I am in the planning stages of swapping the TR6060 to a TH400 (FTI Level 4 RMVB w/ transbrake) for racing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So heres an overview of what all was done...engine was pulled, torn down. Block was sent off to the machine shop for hot tank, align honed, cylinder honed, maintained stock bore. Got the block back and it was painted chrysler hemi orange. Short block was assembled once the K1 Technologies forged crank went in with the K1 technologies forged H beam connecting rods and forged Wiseco dished pistons. With a stock bore and this rotating assembly it comes out to a total of 393 cubic inches and a 9.5:1 CR. I went a little lower on CR for the boosted application. ARP main studs were used instead of bolts. Heads maintained factory porting (Eagle heads flow good anyways). ARP studs were used on the heads as well. New Cometic MLS head gaskets, new springs, valve stem seals, push rods and TSP roller lifters were installed. Stainless Works LT headers bolted up and new aluminum fabricated valve covers with ARP fasteners. The front accessory / timing cover looked worn from the oxidation on the cast aluminum so I cleaned it up and put some paint on it. While doing so I noticed that the water pump housing was cracked at the top so it had to be replaced. I also took apart the alternator, cleaned it up and painted the case. A Texas Speed and Performance stage 4 hydraulic roller cam (226/235 .582/.582) was installed along with the VVT phaser lockout. The factory oil pan was reused, but with a new stroker windage tray. The blower manifold with the intercooler and heat exchanger were installed along with the pump and plumbing. New NGK spark plugs and 50 lb fuel injectors were installed with the new billet fuel rails supplied by KB.

I also decided while the 6 speed was out of the car to have it rebuilt. New seals and bearings were replaced along with the slave cylinder. It was topped off with Royal Purple Syncromax fluid. I also decided to replace the clutch and flywheel to handle the power. A McLeod twin disc clutch was ordered and several new flywheels were ordered before getting the right one. I ended up with a Fidanza Performance billet aluminum flywheel, which is super light weight and should assist some with rev speed. I thought the box was empty when it arrived in the mail.

The blower was test fitted, but ultimately had to be taken off in order to raise the k member and engine into the engine bay. Once the engine and front end was back in the car the blower was installed. I decided last minute to upgrade the harmonic balancer to an overdrive ATI Super Damper. This will increase boost slightly from 8 psi to 10 psi (estimated) and will be safer than using the old balancer. The PCV system was deleted as planned and in place was a Moroso breather tank, which mounts in front of the passenger side head. Two -10AN lines run from both the old PCV location and the oil fill neck and both vent to the filtered tank instead of going back into the intake to assist a little with IATs....plus it looks cool. A boost a pump was added to increase the voltage to the fuel pump and maximize fuel input to the engine with heightened demand. This setup should work fine while the car runs on 93 octane.

Here are some pics from the build and one of the first start ups. Its a short video and keep in mind that this start was with the stock tune so the engine isn't too happy above idle engine speed. I have no idea whatsoever how much power this thing makes. In the next year I hope to swap the 6-speed out to a TCI 727 Torqueflite 3 speed auto with transbrake for drag racing. Who would have thought that someone would put a transmission designed in 1956 and available in the 1970 challenger into an 09.

IMG_20200429_142322_535.jpg
20200506_125902.jpg
Screenshot_20200507-130135_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20200508-121918_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20200514-162315_Messages.jpg
20200520_150444.jpg
20200522_140550.jpg
20200529_144442.jpg
IMG_20200529_153140_884.jpg
20200612_112629.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,774 Posts
Looks bad ass (y) I love looking at performance parts, like artwork :)

A Guy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts