Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is an 09 challenger r/t 6 speed with around 62,000 miles. Last weekend when driving my challenger home, it suddenly started blowing cold air out. I turned it off of defrost and onto the vents and it started working fine. Well the next evening when driving home it done the same thing. Only this time it kept blowing out ice cold air from the vents. Then it finally started blowing out hot air.. then randomly back to ice cold air. I wouldnt think this would be the heater core because it just goes from very hot to very cold... nothing in between. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Check your coolant level, low coolant level will starve your heater core of coolant at low RPM and then as you accelerate get more coolant and go warm, also could be the blend door in your AC/Heater box or an actuator problem.

Remember when you have Defrost on any setting your AC compressor is running.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked my coolant level and it was fine. The past two days the heat worked great... then today it started blowing out cold air again. Was on vents and not defrost. How do I find out if its the blend door or actuator? Are they difficult to change? And where can I buy them at?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out it was a very slow radiator leak... i never saw a sign of a leak before but now the leak has worsened. Took it to the dealership and they said it is the radiator leaking and they want $6xx.xx including $260 something for the radiator to fix it. Where should I get a radiator from? Is this a good price on one or can I better it somewhere else? I can change it myself. Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
$279 with free shipping from dodgeparts.com. I'm sure it's a PITA because there are a lot of things in the way but swapping a radiator is such a simple job I'd be hard pressed to shell out that much more just to have the dealer save me an afternoon and a couple of band-aids.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts