Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're in the hunt for an "09 or '10 R/T, "ticket red" as my wife likes to say. My preference is an '09 as they can be bought for the upper $20K's. The '10's, even with incentives, appear to be $5-8K more. Question #1 - Consumer Reports really blasted the 2010 models. They gave them very low marks in several areas. Should this be a concern? We plan on owning the car for a long time so reliability is more inportant than resale. (We're replacing an '89 5.9L Firebird that has 175K miles on it.) Question #2 - We have seen som Torred cars that almost look orange in color. We have also seen some Inferno Red cars that look burgundy. What's the deal with this? Which color is a true bright (ticket) red? In additon, the 2010 models come in Torred but not Inferno. Which is the best red available that doesn't look orange? Thanks for your thoughts.​

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Just bought a TorRed and I can tell you it's red, not orange. Beware digital photos on the internet, they can mislead and hide a lot of faults as well if you're looking used.

My wife calls it "Arrest Me Red".

·
Banned
557 Posts
Torred = bright red
Inferno = dark red or maroon

Not a fan of inferno myself, but I think the torred with black fender RT stripes looks really awesome. And yes, sometimes depending on lighting, camera, angle, etc the torred can get an orange-ish tint to it. But I think mostly in pictures. Everytime I've seen in person they look red.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
'09 vs. '10

"Arrest Me Red" I like that. Any comments on the benefits of a '10 vs. '09 model? I thought they were identical cars but some of the reviews state otherwise.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
"Arrest Me Red" I like that. Any comments on the benefits of a '10 vs. '09 model? I thought they were identical cars but some of the reviews state otherwise.
I don't know what the differences would be; I know in '11 there are some changes, most notably they start charging extra for the auto, not the manual, hence the $1500 xtra rebate on the '10 manual cars.

You might try Edmunds; they usually list any differences between model years under the review section.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
We're in the hunt for an "09 or '10 R/T, "ticket red" as my wife likes to say. My preference is an '09 as they can be bought for the upper $20K's. The '10's, even with incentives, appear to be $5-8K more. Question #1 - Consumer Reports really blasted the 2010 models. They gave them very low marks in several areas. Should this be a concern? We plan on owning the car for a long time so reliability is more inportant than resale. (We're replacing an '89 5.9L Firebird that has 175K miles on it.) Question #2 - We have seen som Torred cars that almost look orange in color. We have also seen some Inferno Red cars that look burgundy. What's the deal with this? Which color is a true bright (ticket) red? In additon, the 2010 models come in Torred but not Inferno. Which is the best red available that doesn't look orange? Thanks for your thoughts.​
I have an 09 'Inferno Red Crystal Pearl' R/T.It has a metallic in the paint that really pops in the sun as opposed to the 'Torred' which is flat and is similar to a traditional 'Fire Engine Red' IMHO.The Inferno Red seems to take on a different color tone depending on light conditions.

I have included a decent picture of an 09 Torred SRT and some pics of my Inferno Red Challenger in various lighting conditions..Also,I believe only the 2010 R/T's came in an optional Classic model which could be considered a difference in the production years.

Click on pics to enlarge:

2009 TORRED SRT.jpg

Challenger RT 007.JPG

Challenger RT 012.JPG

Challenger Side 2.jpg

Challenger RT 018.JPG

·
Premium Member
2015 SRT 392
665 Posts
Isn't the warranty on the 09's terrible though? While unlimited miles for the first owner :bigthumb:, the subsequent owner loses the powertrain warranty completely :scratchhead: (he gets whatever is left of the 3/36 bumper to bumper).

The power train warranty begins when the bumper-to-bumper warranty ends. After the three years or 36,000 miles of that warranty is over, the power train warranty is good for the entire lifetime of the car. There is no mileage or year limitation on this warranty.
The rust warranty covers the sheet metal on the outside of the vehicle. Any holes that are caused by rust corrosion are covered under this warranty. A surface chip or rusted area is not covered, nor is scratched paint. This warranty is good for five years or 100,000 miles.
The lifetime power train warranty is only good in the U.S.
To keep this warranty valid, the power train must be inspected by a Dodge, Jeep or Chrysler dealer every five years for the lifetime of the vehicle. The inspection is free, and it must be done within two months of each of the five-year anniversaries of the first sale of the car.
There is no deductible for any power train warranty coverage.
Diesel Dodge models and Sprinter and SRT models are not covered by the Lifetime Power train Warranty.
The power train warranty is not transferable to new owners. Even new owners in the same family are not covered by the power train warranty. There are separate, extended warranties available for purchase by later owners of the vehicle.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts

Uh no don't worry what CR has to say. Read what owners here have to say

·
Registered
85 Posts
Isn't the warranty on the 09's terrible though? While unlimited miles for the first owner :bigthumb:, the subsequent owner loses the powertrain warranty completely :scratchhead: (he gets whatever is left of the 3/36 bumper to bumper).

The power train warranty begins when the bumper-to-bumper warranty ends. After the three years or 36,000 miles of that warranty is over, the power train warranty is good for the entire lifetime of the car. There is no mileage or year limitation on this warranty.
The rust warranty covers the sheet metal on the outside of the vehicle. Any holes that are caused by rust corrosion are covered under this warranty. A surface chip or rusted area is not covered, nor is scratched paint. This warranty is good for five years or 100,000 miles.
The lifetime power train warranty is only good in the U.S.
To keep this warranty valid, the power train must be inspected by a Dodge, Jeep or Chrysler dealer every five years for the lifetime of the vehicle. The inspection is free, and it must be done within two months of each of the five-year anniversaries of the first sale of the car.
There is no deductible for any power train warranty coverage.
Diesel Dodge models and Sprinter and SRT models are not covered by the Lifetime Power train Warranty.
The power train warranty is not transferable to new owners. Even new owners in the same family are not covered by the power train warranty. There are separate, extended warranties available for purchase by later owners of the vehicle.
That sucks. If you buy used they won't stand behind their product? Actually, anything less than a five year warranty to me says they don't have much faith in their car.

·
Registered
348 Posts
OK, so here's the deal:

Torred and Inferno Red were both offered in both years. I personally prefer Inferno (the darker, more metallic of the two), but that's just me.

Differences in '09 and '10:
Manual transmission - In 2010, I believe the synchros were changes for the Tremec 6-speed. This was primarily due to reported "notchiness" in 2nd and some other gears when the trans wasn't up to operating temp. I have an '09 6-speed, and it is a bit notchier than the '10, but it doesn't bother me in the least.

Interior - I believe that the only difference in the interior was that some lighting (i.e. cupholder lights) and other very small things that were optional in '09 were standard in '10.

Warranty - In '09 the powertrain warranty offered was the LIFETIME powertrain warranty; the catch with this offer was that the lifetime warranty only applied to first owners. I don't see this as them not standing behind their product, as for people that keep their cars for a very long time, they will be standing behind that powertrain for a very long time. In '10 they got rid of the lifetime powertrain warranty in favor of a more conventional warranty, I think it's 5 yr/ 100k miles on powertrain maybe? In both years, the bumper-to-bumper coverage was the same.

As far as I know, those are the major differences. I personally would go for the cheaper '09, and if it bothers you put some of the money you save into an extended warranty to cover the powertrain.

·
Banned
557 Posts
I had a Jeep Wrangler a few years ago that also had a lifetime warranty on the powertrain; however, like the '09 Challengers, it was limited to the first owner. Thereafter, it reverted to the standard 3yr/36k coverage.

Keep in mind that up until a few years ago, every car had a 3yr/36k warranty. It doesn't mean they are junk. However, I do like having a longer warranty. Especially if you are taking a loan on the car. With a standard 5yr/100k mile warranty offered on a '10 model, it will cover the duration of most loans if you plan to finance, whereas the '09 will have limited coverage unless you pony up a few bucks to purchase an extended warranty.

However you said there was a $5-8k price difference. So you could buy an extended warranty and still save quite a good chunk. I haven't bought extended warranties circa the mid 90's but I've had friends & family members buy them and $1500-$2000 will get you some good coverage.

Although I do question the math of $5-8k savings. I'm not seeing that much different in my area, but maybe it's different there. If I could save that much I would probably go with the '09 model.

Plus let's be honest, it's all good to talk about the warranty, but if you plan on modifying the car you are already risking losing a portion (or all) of the warranty when you start modding.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you want too see two 09 R/T's in the color you are looking for side by side here they are.

Now I don't even have to tell you which one is "ticket red" hands down torred. Inferno is way too dark too be the color you are looking for although a great color, but side by side there is no comparison which color is the bright red you are wanting. At night under street lamp glow the red can have an orangish appearance and during mid day in the summer when the sun is at its brightest, but then again its completely differ color too HEMI orange so you couldn't confuse the two I have a friend who has a HEMI orange so I could get a quick photo shoo with his if you wanted too see.

My signature has photos taken when the sun was at its brightest so you can see how it may have an orangish look too it, but clearly is red.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
'09 vs '10

Great information. I completely glossed over the non-transferable powertrain warranty details. We have identified a very low mileage (6,500!) '09 R/T that looks very nice. Clean car (sans R/T hood stripe but that can be added later) with Sound II option. I'll know more tomorrow. I really appreciate the input!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
'09 vs '10

Latest update - We found two '09 R/T's in TorRed with 28J package and 20" wheels in the $28K - $29K range, both with very low mileage. Then, one of our local Dodge dealers emails me and says they have a NEW 2010 R/T in TorRed with 28J package plus the electronics convenience package and 20" wheels for $31K. So, a few extra grand gets the wife a new car and a full warranty. Am I missing something here? I still read about nightmares with the 2010's vs. the '09's. Seems strange as it's basically the same car! Did Chrysler's reliability team just disappear last year or am I worried about nothing? Again - this will be the wife's car (it's what she wants) so I can't ignore reliability. Thoughts?

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Lifetime Warrenty is transferable based on some state laws, i have been told that it is transferable in NC based on state law.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Latest update - We found two '09 R/T's in TorRed with 28J package and 20" wheels in the $28K - $29K range, both with very low mileage. Then, one of our local Dodge dealers emails me and says they have a NEW 2010 R/T in TorRed with 28J package plus the electronics convenience package and 20" wheels for $31K. So, a few extra grand gets the wife a new car and a full warranty. Am I missing something here? I still read about nightmares with the 2010's vs. the '09's. Seems strange as it's basically the same car! Did Chrysler's reliability team just disappear last year or am I worried about nothing? Again - this will be the wife's car (it's what she wants) so I can't ignore reliability. Thoughts?
I have the 09 R/T and part of what made me go this route was the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. Yes, it's non-transferrable but why do I care? I am the first owner. I haven't had the first hiccup as far as the car is concerned. Only problem has been this recent thing where the dealer changed my oil and didn't tighten the filter properly. Great Car!

·
Registered
334 Posts
The Dodge Challenger has not been out long enough to ascertain the overall reliability of the Challenger. However the Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Charger has had good marks for reliability. Since these cars share almost 100% of mechanical components with the Challenger the idea that our cars are less reliable is suspect. CR has a history of using reputation ("projected Reliability?") instead of hard fact as a basis for rating cars. They lowered the ratings of all Toyota products even though many of them were not covered under the recall, after a real investigation it has been shown there was no mechanical issue with these cars. As such they are the laughing stock of the car review world. Look at Edmunds, JD Power and Car and Driver as a better indicator.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
As desert soldier noted the 300, charger and challenger are very close or identical in the vast majority of parts (ie engine, power train, most switches, etc.). Consumer Reports is a guide (the 2009 Challenger had the highest customer satisfaction win in the Magazine) and while it is good at gathering info, processing it is another story. No, Chrysler does not make the most reliable car but it is statistical nonsense (no context) that the 5.7 in a charger is more reliable then in a challenger (unless Challenger owners abuse the car significantly more). What ever you do get a good warranty and enjoy your car

1 - 19 of 19 Posts